25 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2014 5:52 PM by Jollestudio

Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9

Jollestudio

I've had some problems with Adobe Premiere Elements 9 recently, and right now I'm not able to use it. I'm not sure what the problem is really or how to fix it so I'll just write down what has happened here and hopefully someone knows what to do.

A week or so ago my laptop started to crash repeatedly, but fortunately that was solved. But then I noticed that when I opened Adobe Premiere Elements, that's when it crashed and only then. It stopped crashing altogether except for when I opened this program (if it is of any importance I also tried opening Windows Movie Maker to edit there in the meantime but the same thing happened there, which seems strange and kinda random to me). I decided to get an antivirus software and install that and see if that took care of it, which I have now done. That didn't exactly take care of it though. The laptop did stop crashing when opening the Adobe software, but nothing happens once it's opened. The tabs on the top right are there but the whole program is just grey (where you would normally have the timeline on the bottom, video to the left, and the files etc. to the right) and nothing else comes up. I then tried to uninstall Adobe Premiere Elements 9 from my laptop altogether and then re-install it with the CD I still had from purchasing the laptop a couple of years ago. But after re-installing there is no change. Just a grey screen once again, except for the tabs and all that on the top. Now I'm not sure what else to try. It's frustrating as I need this program to work right about now. Does anyone know what to do? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

From the Premiere Elements Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1042180

•What version of Premiere Elements? Include the minor version number (e.g., Premiere Elements 12 with the 12.0.1 update).

•What operating system? This should include specific minor version numbers, like "Mac OSX v10.6.8"---not just "Mac"

•Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Premiere Elements, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs?

•Are you using an account with Administrator Privileges?

Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 (Encore + "All" Premiere)

•Have you installed any recent program or OS updates? (If not, you should. They fix a lot of problems.)

•What kind(s) of image file(s)? When talking about camera raw files, include the model of camera.

•If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)?

•What were you doing when the problem occurred?

•What other software are you running?

•Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  How much free space is on your system (C:) drive?

And some other questions...

•What are you editing, and does your video have a red line over it BEFORE you do any work?

•Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

What is your exact brand/model graphics adapter (ATI or nVidia or ???)

What is your exact graphics adapter driver version?

Have you gone to the vendor web site to check for a newer driver?

For Windows, do NOT rely on Windows Update to have current driver information

-you need to go direct to the vendor web site and check updates for yourself

ATI Driver Autodetect http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

nVidia Driver Downloads http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Some of the below is for Premiere Pro, but the idea is the same for Premiere Elements

Dual video problems - Do you have dual graphics adapters?

Go to the Windows Control Panel and select Hardware and Sound and then select Device Manager... In Device manager you click the + sign to the left of Display Adapters... and see if 2 are listed

IF YES, read below

-http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/error---preludevideo-play-modules.html

-http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1001579

-Use BIOS http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1019004?tstart=0

-link to why http://forums.adobe.com/message/4685328

-http://www.anandtech.com/show/4839/mobile-gpu-faceoff-amd-dynamic-switchable-graphics-vs-n vidia-optimus-technology/2

-HP Fingerprint/Password conflict http://forums.adobe.com/thread/911575

• 2. Re: Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9
            A.T. Romano Level 7

jollestudio

Let us discuss problems and solutions specific to Premiere Elements.

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 9 running on? Are you working from the 9.0.1 Update of the program?

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Premiere Elements 9.0.1 update

If not, please download and install. That can be done with the program closed.

You wrote

A week or so ago my laptop started to crash repeatedly, but fortunately that was solved.

How was that solve; what was involved in the fix?

At the present time have you looked at the current problem with and without the antivirus program disabled?

What video card/graphics card does your computer use? Is it up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card? If so, I would like you to delete the BadDrivers.txt. Once I know what your computer operating system is, I will give you specific directions to the file.

With the computer information, we can also give you directions for deleting settings files. (Does not require an opened project.)

Have you assured that you are running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges as well as Run As Administrator?

Please review and consider the above. With more information, we will be able to fine tune the details and give you specific instead of generalized information. If you do not understand any of the questions and how to answer them, please do not hesitate to say so, and we will re-write accordingly.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9
              Jollestudio Level 1

The operating system is Windows 7.

I downloaded that 9.0.1 file and installed it, but there was no change. I also disabled the antivirus program but but nothing happened which didn't happen before.

The problem with the crashing, how it was solved? I have no idea, it just stopped crashing. Except for, like I said, when opening the editing software, but that was before all I saw was grey when I opened it, like I wrote. Now it doesn't crash when opening Premiere Elements.

The graphics card seems to be "NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M".  Whether or not it is up to date I'm not quite sure how to look up.

Have you assured that you are running the program from a User Account with Administrative Privileges as well as Run As Administrator?

Believe it or not but I don't understand this question.

• 4. Re: Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 (Encore + "All" Premiere)

How to determine your nVidia driver version

Right click in any open area of the Windows desktop

Select NVIDIA Control Panel from the popup window

Select SYSTEM INFORMATION at the lower left corner

Driver version should be the 1st line in Details

-and I already posted the link for NVidia driver downloads, IF you need a different driver

• 5. Re: Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Jollestudio

Thanks for the reply. About the computer administrator question.

Here is some Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 specific details....

When you run your computer, you do so using a User Account. For Premiere Elements to function properly, if at all, that User Account needs to have been set up with Administrator Privileges. If you have Windows 7 64 bit, go to Control Panel/User Accounts and Family Safety/User Accounts. Clicking on User Accounts should reveal the computer's User Accounts. What we are looking for is a thumbnail there with your ID with "Administrator" typed underneath that. Often in addition Run As Administrator should be applied even with the User Account being with Administrative Privileges. To do that, right click the Premiere Elements 9 desktop icon and click on Run As Administrator in the drop down menu.

To determine what video card/graphics card your computer uses, click on Start button, and, in the Search field above start button, type Device Manager. You should then see "Device Manager" at the top of that left column. Click on "Device Manager" to access it. In Device Manager, please go to Display Adapters, double click on that to reveal the name of your card or cards. Double click the card name to open the card's properties dialog. Click on the Driver Tab in properties to get the information on driver date and driver version. We can use the following link to plug in the appropriate information to get the latest driver version information.

According to John's NVIDIA link and plugging in your information,

NVIDIA  GT540M

Windows 7 64 bit

I get as the latest driver

Version 337.88

Release Date May 26, 2014

Please review the above and then let us know if any of it worked for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jollestudio

Add On...

If you go through the updating the NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card drill and the problem persist, then please delete the BadDrivers.txt file. It is found in Windows 7 64 bit

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the BadDrivers.txt file that you delete. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited.

The rationale behind deleting the BadDrivers.txt file is found in post 10 of this older and valuable thread on Premiere Elements 9 and its display issue.

Premiere Elements 9 Tryout Serious Display Problem

When you reopen Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 after deleting the BadDrivers.txt file, the file will be generated again, but hopefully the display problem will be gone.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 7. Re: Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                      Jollestudio Level 1

I did my best doing what you instructed, though some things are hard to find as I don't use english language (I'm from Sweden), and all these maps and files might have different names. But I found the thumbnail with my name on under which it said "Administrator", if that's what I was supposed to be looking for. I also ran Premiere Elements as administrator but it didn't work.

deleted the BadDrivers.txt file too, but no change.

• 8. Re: Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

jollestudio

Thanks for the replies and exploring the troubleshooting suggestions for your Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Windows 7 64 bit issue.

The following has proven effective troubleshooting even if an uninstall/reinstall has been done, that is, deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file (also called the settings file)....

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 9.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Again, you should to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path cited. (After deleting this Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and you open a Premiere Elements project, the program will generate at new Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file.)

At this time, are you have computer crashing with any programs other than Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1?

We are looking forward to your results.

Special thanks for trying to bridge the English to Swedish language differences in these paths.

ATR

• 9. Re: Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                          Jollestudio Level 1

I tried deleting that file too, followed by the whole map, unfortunately no change still.

Actually the computer hasn't been crashing when opening Premiere Elements in a while now. Sorry if I was unclear about that. The problem is just, like I said, the grey screen showing instead of what you're supposed to see, what you need to see to be able to do the editing.

• 10. Re: Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

jollestudio

Thank you for your continuing follow ups. The following are asked to assure that we are in agreement on the details.

How do you have the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Welcome Screen set up?

9-Welcome-Screen.jpg

Let us assume for now that you have it set for "Just Show Welcome Screen". If so, and, when used

that way, do you arrive at

Version9-Open.jpg

If not and if you have not done so already, try to open the program from its .exe files

Adobe Premiere Elements 9.exe (to open to the Welcome Screen)

Adobe Premiere Elements.exe (to bypass the Welcome Screen)

Local Disk C

Program Files (x86)

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 9

and in the Adobe Premiere Elements 9 are these two .exe files. Try each by

double clicking and observing the results.

If you see the second screenshot details (but no new project dialog, can you

click on File Menu/New/Project (or use Ctrl +N) to bring up the new project dialog?

ATR

• 11. Re: Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                              Jollestudio Level 1

How do you have the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Welcome Screen set up?

Well I've not paid attention to this before but the same box as on the screenshot is ticked.

Let us assume for now that you have it set for "Just Show Welcome Screen". If so, and, when used

that way, do you arrive at...

Yes, this second screenshot is where I arrive. And you can see the grey color around it. This grey color remains there even after clicking "Ok".

[...]and in the Adobe Premiere Elements 9 are these two .exe files. Try each by

double clicking and observing the results.

Nothing, I'm afraid.

click on File Menu/New/Project (or use Ctrl +N) to bring up the new project dialog?

Yes, but no improvement after that.

• 12. Re: Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Jollestudio

Thanks for the follow ups.

The last item in your latest post was particularly interesting

Yes, but no improvement after that.

Previously I thought that you were not able to see the new project dialog at all.

By no improvement after than, in the new project dialog

(a) Can you give the project a name?

(b) Can you designate the Save In: for the project.prel?

(c) If you click on Change Settings, are you shown the project presets from which

to choose?

ATR

• 13. Re: Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                                  Jollestudio Level 1

Yes to all those three questions.

• 14. Re: Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

jollestudio

Good.

What do you have set in the new project dialog's Save In field....

C:\Users\owner\My Documents\Adobe\Premiere Elements\9.0 or something else?

If other than the above, browse to and set to above, and then click OK.

Does the workspace open? If the workspace does not open, what do you see after

you click OK?

ATR

• 15. Re: Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                                      Jollestudio Level 1

Yes that's what it is set to. After I click OK, it looks exactly the same, only the "New Project" window closes down. Like I said, grey color.

• 16. Re: Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Jollestudio

Back in posts 2 and 3, my question and your answer went to the antivirus program and whether or not disabling it had any impact on the Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 issue. Your answer was no.

Let us go back there. What antivirus program does your computer use? If McAfee in particular, this aspect of the issue might be worth revisiting. A fellow Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 user named Robert just went through a long troubleshooting process to get his program to work. In the end, the McAfee program seems to have been at the core of the issue. McAfee support came to the rescue, and now Robert is now able to use his Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 and get going with his video editing projects.

Please let us know if any of the above works for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 17. Re: Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                                          Jollestudio Level 1

I'm afraid it's not McAfee but Norton ("360 Premier Edition").

• 18. Re: Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

jollestudio

Indeed challenging. If you are not about to give up, I will not.

All along we have been driving at Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 more or less as at the core of the issue.

Yet, if you go back over the thread details, there are problems even with Windows Movie Maker. So, I am

turning our attention to the computer.

Does Windows Movie Maker still have its problems on the computer that you are using for Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1?

If so....

For troubleshooting purposes, have we considered downloading and installing the tryout version of Premiere

Elements 12 to determine if that will install to your computer and work? I think that would be a win win situation.

If 12 works, then we have more confidence pointing to version 9.0/9.0.1. If 12 does not work, then we have confidence

pointing to some component (lacking or existing) of the computer. I have looked through the whole thread, and

I cannot see that we have done this yet.

ATR

• 19. Re: Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                                              Jollestudio Level 1

OK so I checked Movie Maker, first of all, and right now it doesn't crash. I also downloaded Premiere Elements 12 and the trial version does work. So really it is only Premiere Elements 9 which is acting up.

Maybe I should mention that the computer has crashed once or twice in the past few days, at seemingly random times.

• 20. Re: Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

jollestudio

You wrote

Maybe I should mention that the computer has crashed once or twice in the past few days, at seemingly random times.

Was that with Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 up and running (until the random crashes) and with Premiere Elements 12/12.1 installed but closed?

Do you presently have both 9.0/9.0.1 and 12/12.1 installed on the same computer, but just running one at a time? If so, you might

want to wait and watch to decide if the installation and presence of the closed12 on the same computer enhances in any way the performance of 9.0/9.0.1

on that same computer?

If we can demonstrate that 12 has enhanced 9.0/9.0.1 performance, we might want to withdraw 12 and determine if 9.0/9.0.1's performance (without 12 help) is now OK.

Many thanks for the follow ups. We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 21. Re: Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                                                  Jollestudio Level 1

No, sorry, by "the computer has crashed once or twice in the past few days, at seemingly random times" I meant when I didn't have Premiere Elements up. I was just surfing and it crashed, no idea why.

Yes I have both 9 and 12 installed, and I was running one at a time. But there is no change in 9 after the installation of 12.

• 22. Re: Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

jollestudio

At this point, I am getting the impression that the computer crashing is not related to Premiere Elements at all, and Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 in particular.

Your mentions of the computer crashes when Premiere Elements is not running are pointing me in that direction. But, if you think it worthwhile, we could explore the thought that Premiere Elements 9 is the corrupting force on your computer. Since you have Premiere Elements 12 installed on your computer...

a. Deactivate Premiere Elements 9 from the opened project via Help Menu/Deactivate. Then uninstall version 9, using the usual Control Panel route. Then do the ccleaner run through (cleaner and registry parts) to get rid of any leftovers from incomplete uninstalls and reinstalls.

b. Observe the computer performance for 24 to 48 hours as you run your regular non Adobe programs and your Premiere Elements 12 tryout. Before and after Premiere Elements 9 removal from the computer - is there a marked difference in the frequency of crashes during the 24 to 48 hours observing?

ATR

• 23. Re: Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                                                      Jollestudio Level 1

I'm gonna look into that, but I do have another question concerning this. Since Premiere Elements 12 is now working, I could just upgrade to the full version. I mean maybe there is a solution to the Premiere Elements 9 problem down the line but if I decide I don't wanna wait longer (as much as I've appreciated your help, really) I do have a question for you, if you happen to know: if I do purchase it and my computer decides it's time to crash repeatedly to the point where I need to purchase a whole new laptop (which might be necessary soon anyway due to certain other things I've not mentioned here but which aren't important), would it be possible to sort of transfer this Premiere Elements 12 onto the new laptop? Or will I only be able to use it on the computer I buy it from/initially install it on (being the one I'm using now of course)? If the latter, then it would be a waste of money if I have to get another laptop soon anyway and buy another editing software, is what I mean. But if I CAN use the same program on a later computer without buying it again, then I might just do that. So, is that possible? Just so I know.

• 24. Re: Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Jollestudio

Lots of details. Let us begin.

1. The installation files obtained from Adobe as a download to your Windows computer will allow you to use those files on no more than 2 of your Windows computers. Those installation files downloaded to Windows cannot be used to install Premiere Elements Mac. On the other hand, if you purchase Premiere Elements in the box packaging, that comes with an installation disc for Premiere Elements Windows and an installation disc for Premiere Elements Mac (same serial number for each). So, if you ever go Mac, you have Premiere Elements Mac installation disc for you Mac computer.

2. If you decide that you want to purchase the product, you can leave the tryout Premiere Elements 12 on you computer, get a purchased serial number from Adobe, and insert the purchased serial number into the already installed tryout Premiere Elements 12. If you decide to purchase the box packaging from an authorized reseller, you can leave the tryout installed and just insert into it the serial number that came with the boxed Premiere Elements 12.

3. Once the product is registered, you should be able to find your product listed at Adobe (http://www.adobe.com) along with its serial number. See My Orders for future download if needed (if online purchase) and My Products (otherwise, for just the serial number if you forgot or lost it).

4. If you ever get into a situation (crashed computer) where you cannot get into the program to deactivate, Adobe can take care of that. We will supply you with  the link to Adobe Chat who can handle that for you. Again, you are allowed the purchased serial number activated on no more than 2 of your computers.

Please let me know if there are any details that you wanted to know that I overlooked.

Thanks.

ATR

• 25. Re: Can't open Adobe Premiere Elements 9
                                                          Jollestudio Level 1

OK, so I guess that would work then Thanks for the quick reply. I might just do that. We'll see. I kinda want to edit this video I've been meaning to for a while now. Anyway, you were a lot of help, whatever I decide to do. Thanks a bunch.