7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2014 5:31 PM by Bill Gehrke

Please evaluate my PC build for converting AVCHD to DVD.

inthewildproductions

Hi all, I am building a new PC to convert AVCHD footage into MPEG2-DVD then burn DVDs all as quickly as possible (within reasonable cost). Each project is about 30 min, contains about 100 clips with no effects. From what I read on the tweaker's page this kind of processing relies mostly on CPU and GPU horsepower (hence the 32 not 64GB RAM). I will be using Adobe Premiere CC or CS5 (if no appreciable speed increase with CC).

Thank you for any feedback or suggestions on this build. Does it appear balanced?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing

Motherboard: Asus X79 Deluxe ATX LGA2011

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866

Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM

Storage: Toshiba  3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Dual FTW ACX

Case: NZXT Phantom 630 Windowed Edition (Black) ATX Full Tower

Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS

Total: $2159.71

Intel Core i7-4930K, EVGA GeForce GTX 760, NZXT Phantom 630 Windowed Edition (Black) - System Build - PCPartPicker

• 1. Re: Please evaluate my PC build for converting AVCHD to DVD.
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Looks like a solid build to me. I would probably suggest the Asrock Extreme 9 over the Deluxe but that is up to you.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: Please evaluate my PC build for converting AVCHD to DVD.
            inthewildproductions Level 1

Thanks EC but I believe the CPU I chose will not fit on the Asrock mobo's socket (LGA 2011 vs. LGA 1150).

• 3. Re: Please evaluate my PC build for converting AVCHD to DVD.
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sorry, but this is the motherboard that Eric was referring to X79 Extreme9.  Eric is probably the most experienced Adobe Premiere system builder/user in the world, I would follow his advice anytime.

And since you are primarily outputting to DVD with that system I would strongly suggest upgrading to a GTX 770 or better

• 4. Re: Please evaluate my PC build for converting AVCHD to DVD.

If you want fast export times then you might want to consider a pair of RAID 0 Samsung 840 Pro SSD's for your exports

• 5. Re: Please evaluate my PC build for converting AVCHD to DVD.
                  JEShort01 Level 4

Nice build list!

With a solid system like you are planning, your MPEG2-DVD export speed will be determined by the GPU card. You should choose a more potent GTX card or possibly even more than one card (note multiple GPUs are only supported by CC). Based on a quick study of PPBM7 results the GTX 780 Ti looks pretty good to me and you don't need a 4GB GPU either for the workflow that you are describing.

I'm not sure why Bill is suggesting RAID 0 SSDs to help with exporting to DVD format as the drive bandwidth required for this workflow is almost trivial. I just ran a quick reality check on this statement comparing a DVD export to a 5x SSD RAID 0 array vs. a network drive on another PC and got the same results. And during the network drive test, my Gigabit LAN only showed a 5% load.

If you really want insane DVD export speeds go with multiple GPUs. I've seen some pretty excellent prices on the non Ti GTX 780 if you want to go dual.

Regards,

Jim

• 6. Re: Please evaluate my PC build for converting AVCHD to DVD.
                    inthewildproductions Level 1

Thanks for the advice! I will look into the X79 Extreme9 mobo, and I would consider raid if it would really help my time, but could you, Bill, explain how the raid would improve my time?

And Jim, I will buy 2 GPUs if that will save me the most time. You say I don't really need the 4GB ones? Would 2 x 2GB would be better than one 4GB?

Also, I will be actually burning DVDs through Encore as part of this process (we produce about 12 35min videos every day).

Perhaps you might take a moment to consider my workflow:

1) Insert SD card into USB 3.0 powered SD card reader

2) Import footage directly from SD card to premiere project. (I ran a test on my current system and found no difference in speed when reading footage from the SD card vs copying the footage to a harddrive and reading footage from there). Also, will the speed of the SD cards be a limiting factor?

3) After a rough edit I choose Export - Media - selecting MPEG2-DVD & NTSC Progressive Widescreen High Quality, VBR 1 pass, then Export

4) In Encore I then import the .m2v and .wav files into a template and burn the DVD from there.

Any thoughts on ways in which I can get the final DVD any faster? Should I post this in the general Premiere forum?

• 7. Re: Please evaluate my PC build for converting AVCHD to DVD.

inthewildproductions wrote

And Jim, I will buy 2 GPUs if that will save me the most time. You say I don't really need the 4GB ones? Would 2 x 2GB would be better than one 4GB?

If you are using CC then 2 x 2 GB export would be faster than that same model with 1 x 4 GB.  Unless you are using 4k media 2 GB  should be very adequate.

Anytime you are exporting (writing to a storage device) RAID will improve performance