15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2014 7:37 PM by billvv1941

Is there anybody who know about editing multiple tracks, particularly about taking out sections of all tracks?

billvv1941

When a track has space between video clips, the split clip allows the "delete and close gap" to go past the CTI.  The delete leaves me to move the tracks manually, thereby loosing the alignment I worked so hard to create.

• 1. Re: Is there anybody who know about editing multiple tracks, particularly about taking out sections of all tracks?
          billvv1941 Level 1

The only thing I can think of is to consolidate the tracks that would be lost prior to making the split clips.  Any better answers?

• 2. Re: Is there anybody who know about editing multiple tracks, particularly about taking out sections of all tracks?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

bilvv1941

What version of Premiere Elements are you working with and on what computer operating system is it running?

A screenshot of the Timeline tracks content and what is going where would help in fine tuning a reply for you.

I get the message about you being left to do some manual moving around of track content, but I am still working

on understanding

the split clip allows the "delete and close gap" to go past the CTI.

Have you incorporated the technique where, with the mouse cursor, you draw a rectangle around a block of clips to select them all

at the same time and then use the mouse cursor to move them as a block? You might also look at selecting the clips involved all at the same time and then applying Group command.

Also you may get into problems with the Delete and Close Gap command depending on what is above or below the gap involved.

Please review and consider and then please supply whatever information that might help us to help you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Is there anybody who know about editing multiple tracks, particularly about taking out sections of all tracks?
              billvv1941 Level 1

Thank you for you reply to my request.  I am using v12 on W7.  I have only

the user guide, which does not mention using the cursor to create a box

around the section I want to delete.  My version also does not  have the

begin and end delete that the video suggested.  I was told to use the cut

from the drop down list, rather that the scissors icon on the CTI.  This

makes no difference.  My main video is on track 1, another video is fairly

complete on track 2.  Track 3 was shot using a camera rather than a video

recorder, so I don't use it much.  This is where the problem arises.  I

want to use a closeup from the camera for a short shot, then return to the

lower tracks for the duration of the song.  I need to cut at that clip, but

because the main video below it seems to be where the delete and close

expects to occur, the upper track moves past the CTI.  When I select other

tracks to begin the delete and close, it leaves the upper track in place,

so I lose the alignment.

My only thought was to cut the upper track into the lower track and forget

it!  I do like the fact that the burner will use the highest track first,

so I get to select the audio I prefer from the track of my choice.  I hope

this is useful.  I'd like to finish this project and get on with summer!

Bill-

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 6:37 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 4. Re: Is there anybody who know about editing multiple tracks, particularly about taking out sections of all tracks?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

Provided I have interpreted what you want to do correctly, this should have all the safeguards that you need to get your close up incorporated in the the video.

First the technique for keeping track content intact. You select all that you want to exist as a group (to be moved as a group) all at one time by clicking on a corner of the group-to-be location and drawing out a rectangle from right to left. See screenshot below.

uppertrack-1.jpg

You are going to do that for Video 1/Audio 1 and Video 2/Audio 2. Move the Timeline Indicator to the spot on Video 3 where you want to overlay what is there with the close up clip. Then hold down the Ctrl key of the computer main keyboard and drag the close up clip from the Project Media to the Timeline Indicator location and down into the video there for its inclusion into the video. Nothing has moved.

If you do not want to place your close up as an overlay of footage already on the TImeline, group  Video 1/Audio 1 and also Video 2/Audio 2 and work on Video 3/Audio 3.

About that rectangle business, the idea is not to try to draw a great rectangle. The idea is to create a rectangle "spread" that will select the clips under that "rectangle umbrella". Selection of clips all at one time is what we are after.

As for

My version also does not  have thebegin and end delete that the video suggested.

I am not clear on what you mean there, but I suspect that you may be overlooking something. We can work on that later. Main thought now, does the above help so that you gain what you seek.

We will be watching for your results. Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification if needed.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Is there anybody who know about editing multiple tracks, particularly about taking out sections of all tracks?
                  billvv1941 Level 1

I should be doing a better job of explaining.  I believe I'm having you

spend time with the wrong thing, and I'm sorry about that.

When I began this project, two bluegrass bands that I used to manage forty

years ago got back together to jointly play.  It ran all afternoon.  I had

my camcorder, and the video shop two doors down set up a second in a

rafter.  We ran all day.  Another guy had a camera running in movie mode.

His wife was the lead singer in one group.  He was so intent on filming his

wife, I could only use him sparingly!  I spent the first month getting used

to the expert version of 12 and laying out all the tracks.  I spent a lot

of time getting the tracks synchronized to the frame.  Sometimes I used

flash from cameras to find the frame, sometimes I used motions of the

players, usually the fiddle players.  Now I have over two hours of raw

video and I'd like to cut out all the chatter.  I decided to start making

the cuts from the end of the project.  I know where the scene marker is and

I want to back up until the end of the previous song.  All in between I

want to cut.There is one cut that I want to make where track 3 is the only

track for maybe 2 seconds.  Then track 1 and 2 take over.  When I back up

to the end of the previous song, only track 1 and 2 are present.  When I

attempt the cut, the 'delete and close gap' wants to move the track 3 over

track 2 and move track 2 up against the CTI cut line.  I want track 3 to

come up to the CTI and leave the same gap I had before the cut.  I tried

each track for the 'delete and close gap, but it didn't matter, I got the

same result.  I can't move the track myself as it loses the alignment I

worked to hard to get.

When I spoke with the tech guy at Adobe, he suggested something called Set

In and Set Out, I think, and my version doesn't have that on the area near

the CTI.

Did I do a better job of explaining?

Also, looks like the scene markers will have to be redone.  They don't seem

to follow the cuts.  Am I right?

Thank you so much for listening to me go on, but this is a chance to record

what I did in my thirties, back in the early '70s.  At 73, I won't get

another chance!!!!

Bill-

On Sun, Jun 15, 2014 at 7:50 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 6. Re: Is there anybody who know about editing multiple tracks, particularly about taking out sections of all tracks?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

I need to dig into the details of your latest report and try to set up the same scenario so that I give you a road tested version.

But there are some questions I can answer now.

1. Menu markers do not move unless you move them. Consequently, they should be placed at the end of the editing workflow, before moving on to disc menus and burn to. No way around that. These markers are movable, but a lot of associated rearrangements can be a problem.

2. I need to think about what Adobe had in mind for you with its mention of Set In and Set Out points with regard to your issue. You have all those features. They just need to be pointed out to you. I will after I sort out your latest details and try to define Adobe's Set In and Set Out comment.

More later.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 7. Re: Is there anybody who know about editing multiple tracks, particularly about taking out sections of all tracks?
                      billvv1941 Level 1

The scene markers were important in testing scene selection, so I don't

mind.  I use them to quickly move to the next cut, or rather I did until I

couldn't!  I'm working on the jewel cases while you try to help me.

I'm very glad to have somebody to work with on this.  I did consulting work

prior to retirement and always liked the feeling of working toward a

solution with others.  Thank you!

I'm still prepared to cut the few seconds down a track and be done with it.

Bill-

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 1:07 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 8. Re: Is there anybody who know about editing multiple tracks, particularly about taking out sections of all tracks?
                        billvv1941 Level 1

I downloaded SnagIt for this image.  Since track 2 is there on the left,

it's the only track I can 'delete and close gap' with.  But it will overlap

the lower tracks, which I don't want, because the defined area of the

delete goes past the CTI to the next track 2 clip.  If I move the tracks

one at a time, I lose the alignment.  I need to move the group or delete a

defined length, one or the other!

Bill-

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 1:22 PM, William Van Voorhis <billvv1941@gmail.com>

• 9. Re: Is there anybody who know about editing multiple tracks, particularly about taking out sections of all tracks?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

I have reviewed the entire thread several times. The the following is my current understanding based on your most current posts. Please let me know if I have interpreted what you wrote correctly.

You are doing 3 tracks multi-camera editing using Premiere Elements 12, with each track scene the same but each from a different angle (all 3 in sync for the moment depicted). Based on which track content is on top, you are going along deciding what is to be seen by "removing" the appropriate clip(s). And, as you do that, unwanted clip movement is occurring which is messing up your in sync multi-camera editing alignment.

I suspect all this started when you decided to use Delete and Close Gap and found that you could not on any video track other than Video Track1. It appears that you found "Cut" was an option. You do not want "Cut" in this instance, you want "Delete", and any clip movements should be made with clips as a group and/or individually with the Ctrl key or Alt key of the computer main keyboard held down as you do that.

Right now I am not understanding how Snagit got into the workflow. But, the bottom line is, if you have a strategy that works for you, please go with it. I will stay with you in this task until you succeed. As a backup, you may want to keep a copy or copies of the project with the track alignment in tact.

If I am correct in my understanding of the multi-camera editing aspects of your task, I would ask you to think about (at the right time) using Opacity of clips rather than cuts to decide what is to be shown and not shown. Select a clip, go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Opacity Panel expanded. For those clips you want to see 100% Opacity, for those you do not want to see Opacity 0% instead of a cut out.

As for the matter of Set In and Set Out points, I suspect that the Adobe rep was referring to the following splitting of clips in the Preview Window of the project. But, I do not see that as the way to go for this particular task.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Project Assets Organization for Scene and Highlight Grabs from Collection o…

If you think a screenshot of your opened tracks would help me focus better into your project, please post one, especially if you think that we are not yet in sync.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Is there anybody who know about editing multiple tracks, particularly about taking out sections of all tracks?
                            billvv1941 Level 1

First and foremost, I want to thank you for taking this much time.  I hope

this ends up well, and that the community can gain some insight into the

editing process, as I have discovered it.  Mostly, I believe I'm working

outside the User Guide, provided with the release.  I wish that were

improved to a level closer to expert, as I have found it lacking in detail.

As to a response to your email, you have the first part exactly right.  I

can make the deletes of the chatter, as I call it, its the next part:

Bringing the clip ends together after that.  In the image I attached on my

last reply, I show the deleted portion and suggest that my problem is

bringing the two clips together.  Track 2 on both pieces will come

together, regardless of the fact that track 1 and the audio track below it

would come first.  When I created the cut at the CTI, I expected that to be

where the two pieces would join.  That proved to be unrealistic!  Nothing

in the documentation, and my issue with it, discusses how this will work,

to prepare me, and others, for it.  You have tried to explain the process

of grouping the cut areas and thereby deleting them and closing the gap at

once, rather than my way of cutting then deleting.  If you could explain

that using the features of v12, step by step, I would gladly follow your

instructions.

Thank you for your immense patience!

Bill-

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 9:45 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 11. Re: Is there anybody who know about editing multiple tracks, particularly about taking out sections of all tracks?
                              billvv1941 Level 1

I have found a solution.  My brother actually suggested it.  I have created

an AVCHD version of the project and edited it.  Thanks again for your

considerable help and interest.  I hope this will be of use to others.

Bill-

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 12:03 PM, William Van Voorhis <billvv1941@gmail.com>

• 12. Re: Is there anybody who know about editing multiple tracks, particularly about taking out sections of all tracks?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

Glad for the good news of your progress. Great job.

However, I think that we may be a bit out of sync on the details. I am not clear on how an AVCHD version of the project

assisted in the matter of what worked best for you in determining your views in your Premiere Elements multi

camera editing project.

Have you moved on from the "cutting/deleting" of tracks contents to the quality of the output of the Timeline? If so, the AVCHD choice

typically gives excellent export quality results.

I had intended to post a step by step Premiere Elements 12 suggested multi camera workflow to supplement what I have

already suggested in this thread, but have gotten detoured from doing that. It sounds like you are beyond that point and are

out of editing and into exporting. Is that correct?

ATR

• 13. Re: Is there anybody who know about editing multiple tracks, particularly about taking out sections of all tracks?
                                  billvv1941 Level 1

Yes, and will again thank you for your support and ideas.  I'm struggling

now with the DVD labels.  Memorex has a licensing issue and can't give

templates, so I'm guessing where the photo goes.  Nothing is easy!  It's

the last issue, however, and with that fixed, I'm mailing out DVDs!

Thanks again!  Bill-

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 12:44 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 14. Re: Is there anybody who know about editing multiple tracks, particularly about taking out sections of all tracks?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill

Avoid the paper disc labels since they can cause problems in the player for the DVD disc with that paper label.

I have never run into the issue. But, it is risky business when you are distributing the DVD with the paper label to others.

Do you have a printer that allows you to print a designed label on a surface of the DVD disc? For that, you need the

printer as well as special discs with a special coated surface for the printing.

The other thought...if you have a burner the supports LightScribe....here you need the burner with the LightScribe support, LightScribe software,

and a special LightScribe disc. This choice allows you to burn a "tonal" design on the special surface of the LightScribe disc.

Paper label sounds the easiest but are the most risky for distribution.

http://www.verbatim.com/subcat/optical-media/lightscribe/

Creating CD or DVD Disc Labels with LightScribe | HP® Support

ATR

Add On...Congratulations on your progress. Great job.

• 15. Re: Is there anybody who know about editing multiple tracks, particularly about taking out sections of all tracks?
                                      billvv1941 Level 1

I tried LightScribe but don't like the quality of the print.  Also, no

color, to my knowledge.  I expect people to watch it once and put it away

for, like, ever!

So, I went paper.  I tried it out without problem, so I'm going with it.

Thanks, for all your help and support.  Bill-

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 6:40 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>