4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2014 8:53 AM by Hilch1

Can't get started with Flash CC

Hilch1 Level 1

I am using the trial version of Adobe Flash CC, and trying to use it to do animated video.  I can't get it to do anything.  When I try to import a JPEG into the stage, I just get a white rectangle, and some blue outlines.  The photo never makes it onto the stage. Any suggestions?Junk copy.jpg

• 1. Re: Can't get started with Flash CC
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There appears to be a photo in the library.  Is that the one you imported?  Have you worked with Flash before such that you know you have the timeline layer setup to view the content and it is not in outline mode (I cannot tell with the image you posted)?  There is another outline mode that you can find in the View menu (View -> Preview Mode ->  make sure outline is not selected)

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can't get started with Flash CC
            Hilch1 Level 1

I'm brand new to Flash (actually to animation in general).  I was going to use the "beach" photo as background, if I can figure out how to get it onto the "stage".

I may very well be using it in "outline" mode.  Let's see what happens when I change it to "full".  Yup, that fixed it!  This stuff is not user friendly.  I'd like to get a cartoon character walking across the beach.  The video tutorials I have looked at have shown me many things, but that's not one of them!  Stay tuned tomorrow, for my next beginner question!  Thanks!

• 3. Re: Can't get started with Flash CC
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're welcome

• 4. Re: Can't get started with Flash CC
                Hilch1 Level 1

Well, it turns out I was in the outline mode.  Who knew?  I kept adding more photos to the stage, and got more and more blue outlines, so I knew something was up.  Now I'm trying to "animate" 2 cartoon figures walking across the beach you see in the photos.  Not sure how to "layer" it, or how to use key frames so I don't have to draw all 24 frames to get 1 second of action. Watching Scooby-Doo.  I can draw as well as they can, but can't animate as well.  Also, I don't have a budget of $100,000 per episode!

1 person found this helpful