6 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2007 11:09 AM by Charles Parcell

Flash and matte

uneus
      In my little silly game I have some small "stars" faling down from heaven. The stars is made in Flash and rotating. My little monster should avoid this rotating stars but he always get hurted by the area round the star. I can´t get it transparent other with "background transparent" and there´s the prb. How to get a Flashmovie transparent so I can have "matte" on it?
        • 1. Re: Flash and matte
          Charles Parcell Level 1
          Off the top of my head, try setting the Flash sprite to not use directToStage.

sprite(75).directToStage = false

Let me know if that works for you.
          • 2. Re: Flash and matte
            bjanun
            I´n not really shure what "Off the top of my head" means. I´ve imported via "insert/mediaelement/Flash" and also checked that it´s not directToStage. Also tried with script, both movie and behavior variant´s with on startmovie,enterframe and so on..
            Thx for helping
            • 3. Re: Flash and matte
              Charles Parcell Level 1
              quote:

I´n not really shure what "Off the top of my head" means.

Sorry, it means, with little thought.

quote:

I´ve imported via "insert/mediaelement/Flash" and also checked that it´s not directToStage. Also tried with script, both movie and behavior variant´s with on startmovie,enterframe and so on..

Well, this time I have actually pulled in a Flash member and played a bit with it. I don't often use Flash within Director as an animated sprite.

Indeed you can not set it to Matte ink. Taking a guess though, it is most likely because of the sprite format itself. Understand that what is one Stage is actually an instance of the Flash Player itself. Setting Background Transparent is likely sending a call to the Flash Player to turn the background "layer" off.

Because Director has no control over the Flash sprite itself, it is unable to Matte, Darken, Lighten, etc. the sprite.

Perhaps look into extracting the frames of your star animation as a PNG sequence and then building a filmloop or some such within Director. then you could Matte with no problem.
              • 4. Re: Flash and matte
                bjanun Level 1
                I ´ve exported the frames as a gif-sequence and that thing worked, but not so good graphic of course. When exported as png the matte works but still it takes the area around the star when used with intersect. That´s not so fun because the graphic is much better with png. Is there any way to go around that prb?
                • 5. Re: Flash and matte
                  Level 7
                  It should work as you want it if you use Matte ink instead of Background
                  Transparent.
                  • 6. Re: Flash and matte
                    Charles Parcell Level 1
                    Is your monster using Matte as well?