4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2014 9:22 AM by ghijohansson

Newbie problem - flicker

ghijohansson

I have started to edit .m2ts files (24 Megabit/second) with PE 12. For part of the footage I need to make some adjustments due to light which was not optimal. Which I guess may result in flicker since I film in 50i rather than 25p.

At the same time, I am the wrong person to correct flicker because, neurologically speaking, I react very slowly. This means that in many cases I will not notice flicker even though other people will notice flicker.

Will I see flicker more easily if I reduce the speed of the movie after correction?

Is there any risk that I will suffer from flicker if I flip an image left to right?

And how good is the anti flicker adjustment in PE 12? Again, since I react so slowly, I am the wrong person to test.

• 1. Re: Newbie problem - flicker
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ghijohansson

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? I ask just in case we get into any computer specific information as we progress through the exchange of troubleshooting information.

You have 2 features specific for trying to correct video flicker problems...

a. Right click the Expert workspace Timeline video, select Field Options, then dot the Flicker Removal option there.

or

b. Highlight/select the Expert workspace Timeline video, go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded. There you will find an Anti-flicker Filter slider to use from 0.00 to 1.00. This choice can be very effective.

There are no guarantees for either, and the end result must be judged by visual inspection. So, you will be forced to get second opinions on your results if you have doubts in order to be sure of what you have produced and what will be viewed by others.

We will be watching for your progress.

ATR

• 2. Re: Newbie problem - flicker
            ghijohansson Level 1

Thanks for answering.

I use Windows 8.1

Is there any risk that I will suffer from flicker if I flip an image left to right?

I have the impression that you mean that I will not se flicker more easily if I reduce the speed om my video. Is there anything else I can do to se flicker more easily?

• 3. Re: Newbie problem - flicker
              A.T. Romano Level 7

glijohansson

You wrote

Also

I have the impression that you mean that I will not se flicker more easily if I reduce the speed om my video. Is there anything else I can do to se flicker more easily?

I am not sure what is to be gained by making existing flicker worse so that you can see it more easily. Because, if you did not see it in the first place, then, if you force it to appear, your anti-flicker measures should take you back to where you started from.

There is no meter of flicker offered that I know of that tells us how much flicker exists or does not exist. The amount of flicker is a visual impression as far as I have ever encountered. I think that I read somewhere that anti-flicker tools typically add a motion blur to fields as part of its activities. In Premiere Elements Motion Panel expanded, you can quantitate how much Anti-flicker you are applying, but the result of that is a judgment based on visual inspection before and after the application of the filter.

Is the following the type of lighting situation that you ran into with regard to flicker that you believe exists in your video?

Avoid Video Flicker, Understanding PAL (50Hz) & NTSC (60Hz) - Urban Video

I have seen reports for some non Premiere Elements programs of flicker being associated with interlaced video to which a flipping effect has been applied. I have not run into that problem first hand in Premiere Elements. There are online articles about frame rate versus flicker rate. Generalizations cannot be used to project expectations for a specific interlaced video in this regard although the models seem to suggest increasing the frame rate may lessen what the human eye sees in terms of flicker?

I am understanding that you want to make any flicker present in your video worse so that you can see it rather than be informed of the ways to lessen or get rid of the flicker. I suspect that it is easier to make flicker worse in pre-production rather than post-production. But, I am not sure what is proven by forcing flicker.

ATR

• 4. Re: Newbie problem - flicker
                ghijohansson Level 1

Thanks for answering.

What i mean is that since I react slowly, it is more difficult for me to see flicker than for other people. But since other people will watch my movies, I must be sure that there is no flicker when I distribute them.

So I need to do something in order to see the flicker myself during editing. Because if I can't see flicker, then I can't remove it.

About the link. No, I film 50i and the electricity is 50 Hz, so there is no such problem.

But I need to correct when my video is a little to dark or has slightly wrong colour.

Unless I have misunderstood something, flicker will be less probable if I change the footage from 50i to 25p, but that would in practice mean to discard 1/2 the information in the footage and interpolate new half frames, so I guess I should avoid it.