3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2014 4:07 PM by A.T. Romano

Continuous capture possible from dv camera?

David Hautbois

Is it possible to stream a continuous video from a DV camcorder , or adjust the size of the clips to 1/2 hour or more? Just added media from a 1 hour recital - it gets broken into 90+ clips, which means a lot of editing in expert mode. Snap helps with the video, but the soundtrack fades in and out.

• 1. Re: Continuous capture possible from dv camera?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

David Hautbois

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Questions that need answering so as not to take anything for granted....

In the Premiere Elements Capture window, have you removed the check mark next to Split Scenes?

Are you doing DV rather than HDV capture firewire and if so

Add Media = DV Camcorder

Project Preset = Set to agree with properties of the capture NTSC DV Standard or NTSC DV Widescreen or PAL

counterparts?

If you do the capture firewire in Windows Movie Maker or WinDVD, do you still get the 90+clips instead of one continuous

video. Please review the general principles involved, just in case...

Adobe Premiere Elements 11 * Capture video

Not sure of the significance of your comment...

Snap helps with the video, but the soundtrack fades in and out.

So, using Windows Movie Maker or WinDVD would be good troubleshooting tool here for the capture firewire.

More later.

ATR

• 2. Re: Continuous capture possible from dv camera?
            David Hautbois Level 1

Thanks for your reply and help. Sorry, I forgot to spec the situation.
            I'm using Premiere Elements 12, Mac version, but I also have it available for my PC, which is a quad-core, but slower than my i5 iMac. (OSX 10.8.5)
            Elements auto-detects the DV camera and sets the NTSC capture.
            The only way to remove the checkmark for "Split Scenes" is to be in expert mode. At that point, whether sending the clip(s) to the Timeline or not, the  program stops the camera itself after random amounts of time. Times for the first 3 clips are 20"; 1:10"; and 44". So I wind up with many clips this way as well.
            The reference to "Snap" was in using it to at least close up some of the gaps between clips, but it seems there are automatic audio fades at the beginning and end of each one - I didn't check the audio setting - perhaps that can be eliminated. Or maybe the best solution is just to import the hi-bit .wav file that was recorded externally.

Thanks again - I will try the PC software, and even Prem. Elememts 12 on it tomorrow.

David

• 3. Re: Continuous capture possible from dv camera?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

David

Thanks for reviewing the suggested troubleshooting. Your details were very helpful.

We will await results from the planned tests comparing Premiere Elements results with those from alternative capture firewire software and then decide what next based on those results.

Thanks.

ATR