7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2014 12:19 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 10 slow on Mac

Shozikit Level 1

Hi,

I installed Premiere Elements 10 on a brand new computer, but it runs extremely slow.

Even just playing one short 30 second clip (un-edited, the original file) causes lagging.

I made sure that the project is up to par with the camera settings and that there are no red lines above the timeline.

These are my computer specs:

MacBook Air

Processor  1.7 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory  8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics  Intel HD Graphics 5000

Software  OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)

As I said, it is brand new so I don't have almost anything on it but PE10 and the files I need to edit for work, so I don't think it should be a space issue.

I'm not much of a computer wiz, so I might be missing on some important info I need to share.

Please let me know if you need to know anything else.

I really appreciate the help and sorry for the inconvenience, but I couldn't find a solution anywhere else on-line.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 10 slow on Mac
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Shozikit

Let us start with the full properties of your source media - either from a video audio properties readout program such as MediaInfo (Tree View) or from knowing the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video. This information is necessary even though you state that your project settings match the properties of your source media.

http://mediainfo-mac.en.softonic.com/mac

Be careful in your download and install choices to avoid unwanted carry alongs with the MediaInfo program.

Is your computer optimized, even as brand new. See ccleaner Mac

CCleaner for Mac OS X

Have you looked at program performance with and without the antivirus disabled?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 10 slow on Mac
            Shozikit Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks for your reply.

The camera I used to record the video is a HC-V700 HD Camcorder (Panasonic).

Record mode is HG1920 (1080/50i).

Performance is the same.

S

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 10 slow on Mac
              A.T. Romano Level 7

S

Follow up is appreciated.

Please verify that your project setting is

PAL

AVCHD

AVCHD Full HD 1080i25

From what I have read of your camera's video specifications, you should have a AVCHD.mp4 file on the Timeline workspace's Timeline.

Do you see the same lagging performance even if you place several jpeg photos on the Timeline instead of these Panasonic clips? How many jpeg photos do you have to place on the Timeline to first see the slow performance that you report for a 30 sec Panasonic clip?

Are you running the program with a computer that uses one or two computer or video monitors? Does it make a difference whether the Playback Quality = Automatic or Highest?

(Please see, right click of Edit area monitor and Playback Quality.)

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 10 slow on Mac
                Shozikit Level 1

ATR, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

I answered your questions in the same order:

Yes, that is my project setting and the same I was using when posting the original question.

The type of file which I put onto the Timeline is a .mov.

I didn't notice a problem with jpeg photos, although when I use them there is a red line above the Timeline which I did not get with the video files (I tried with about 30 photos before stopping).

I am running the program on  a laptop with one video monitor.

There doesn't seem to be a difference with either High or Automatic quality.

Also, I just realised I might have been unclear with my first post - also playback is lagging but also the program itself is very slow to react once I place a video on the timeline.

I will be signing off now since it's late where I am.

Looking forward to being in touch again when you can.

Thanks

S

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 10 slow on Mac
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

S

Thanks for the reply. I suspect that we are in different time zones. Where I am it is just about 6:30 pm Sunday June 15, 2014.Nonetheless we will do the best we can so that our messages catch up with one another.

Two areas that I would like to rule in or out with this next round of troubleshooting are

a. Source Media

b. Scratch Disks set up and free hard drive space situation.

Please continue with the jpg mini test to see how many jpg files you can get on that Timeline before the playback as well as the editing steps begin to lag. If you have any different video formats from another camera, please try them in a new project to determine if they behave the same as your present source.

Also let us know where each of the Scratch Disks is direct and how much hard drive space is there. Have you seen any pile ups of preview files from rendering the Timeline content to get the best possible previews?

You probably have but double check that your permissions are OK and that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks again.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 10 slow on Mac
                    Shozikit Level 1

ATR

Uploading and placing 350 jpg files on the Timeline didn't have any effect. I have no more photos on this computer. Is there any need to get some more somehow and continue this test?

I only have one other source, but it's the same type of file (.mov) and very short videos (2 seconds). There isn't a lagging problem with these videos.

The Scratch Disk is on my main hard-drive which has 422.22 GB free.

Did not notice any rendering pile ups.

I double checked permissions and latest version of Quicktime.

Thank you,

S

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 10 slow on Mac
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

S

Thanks for checking out the jpg and other video source Timeline performance. Enough of that. I think the results are pointing us specifically to the Panasonic footage. 

Based on online description of your Panasonic recordings, I assumed that you were putting AVCHD.mp4 1080 50i on your Premiere Elements Timeline. In your last post your wrote...

I only have one other source, but it's the same type of file (.mov)

That would mean to me that you do not have .mp4 files but rather .mov files from the Panasonic. Could you double check that point - .mp4 or .mov? Under ordinary conditions one would expect AVCHD.mp4 and AVCHD.mov to be compatible with Premiere Elements with QuickTime installed on the same computer with Premiere Elements.

Right now we have

jpg, OK

another .mov source, OK

Let us try this for troubleshooting purposes only....take what your source video AVCHD.mov or AVCHD.mp4 and put it through the HandBrake program.

http://handbrake.fr/

This is going to be only a quick test. We can go back and fine tune settings later if necessary.

Open HandBrake to its Main Workspace

Source/Open File

Where it says Chapters, I typically set that to Seconds.

Destination - Browse to and set the hard drive save location for the HandBrake export

Output Settings = Container Mp4

Picture Tab (leave settings as is)

Video Tab

Video Codec = H.264 (x264)

Framerate = 25

and then

dot "Constant Framerate"

Hit the Start button at the top left of the workspace

and then

Wait for Queue Finished to be displayed in the progress bar at the bottom

left of the workspace.

The goal is to determine if you can work with this HandBrake export better than you can with the

original Panasonic file.

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR