2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2014 4:48 AM by nullsebasvideo

How to assign keyboard shortcut to a plugin?

nullsebasvideo Level 1

Lightwave comes with a plugin for After Effects that allows to send items from AE into Lightwave, such as cameras and nulls. Unfortunately, they made it so that only one item can be sent at one time, and when I do a camera tracking and create several nulls to export, selecting each and every one and then File > Export > Send selected layer to Lightwave is a ridiculous waste of time. I have no idea why they made it this way, but at least if I could assign a keyboard shortcut to it, it would save some time.

The problem is that the shortcuts file only has the commands that are native to After Effects, and while I could assign a keyboard shortcut to a script, this thing is not a script, it's a plugin called "AEtoLW.aex" that the Lightwave user has to copy to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CS6\Support Files\Plug-ins for it to work.

I thought that perhaps an option would be to make a script that runs the plugin from the menu, but I opened the script editor and I don't have a clue about what to do, and perhaps I could learn, but that would take a lot of time and therefore defeat the purpose of assigning a keyboard shortcut, which is to save time.

So is there any way to assign a keyboard shortcut to this, either through a script or some other way?

Thanks!