3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2014 7:17 AM by pimplebottom

How is this solar fx created?

pimplebottom Level 1

Hi from 17 Degrees C totally cloudy York UK :-)

At the begiining of this Pirate video clip I'd like to know how the text solar effect is created in Ae ( I have the latest version ). My skill level is beginner :-)

Here is the video clip into I'd like to emulate:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z46_iFcWMPE

• 1. Re: How is this solar fx created?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Can't see it due to copyright restrictions...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: How is this solar fx created?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In this shot there is a lens flare effect, a 3D text layer rotating in y, and two gray masked solids or shape layers with partial transparency or blend modes. The standard AE Lens Flare will  NOT give you the same look exactly. I think they probably used Knoll Light Factory.

Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 4.20.41 AM.png

You can come close using a combination of Lens Flare, CC Light Rays, and Hue and Saturation applied to a black solid set to the blend mode. The exact effect could be achieved using shape layers, blurs, and blend modes to generate the lens flare if you wanted to take the time. The trick to get the circular artifacts to move while the light source stays put is start with a layer that is about twice as wide as your comp and then animate both the flare center and position of the layer. In this example I also tied the center of CC light rays to the Flare Center with an expression. Take a look at this screenshot of a sample project(saved as a CS6) I threw together. It will get you started.

Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 5.02.11 AM.png

• 3. Re: How is this solar fx created?
              pimplebottom Level 1

Wow great reply thank yo so much Rick!