11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2014 10:14 AM by rob day

Showing 1:1 pixel ratio in InDesign 9.2.2

mttkng_

Prior to the 9.2.2 update double-clicking the zoom button would scale your document to a 1:1 pixel ratio – handy for when designing web visuals. For example, an 800px wide image in a document actually appears larger than the same image in Photoshop as InDesign "intelligently" scales it to how it would print at 72dpi. However many monitors are slightly higher resolution than 72ppi so documents appear larger on screen.

This change is listed as a fix – Double-clicking Zoom Tool does not set view to Actual Size (100%). (#3656264)

This is fine I guess as this makes it consistent with many other applications, but now there is no way of zooming to a 1:1 pixel ratio, is there?

• 1. Re: Showing 1:1 pixel ratio in InDesign 9.2.2
          Doc Maik Level 4

Since documents in Indesign are not defined in pixels, unless you're working with digital media, it actually doesn't matter if it can show 1:1 pixel ratio. It should be showing an A4 page in 21cm width when zoomed to 100% and you put a ruler on the screen, but it does not. Indesign can now the pixel size of your monitor, so it should have a screen/rulers scaling option. But there is none for any Adobe product.

• 2. Re: Showing 1:1 pixel ratio in InDesign 9.2.2
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This change is listed as a fix – Double-clicking Zoom Tool does not set view to Actual Size (100%). (#3656264)

This is fine I guess as this makes it consistent with many other applications, but now there is no way of zooming to a 1:1 pixel ratio, is there?

Yes I'm seeing that too, unbelievable!

I've just looked at it briefly, but unless there's something hidden we will be forced back to a scripted solution. This thread has .js and and AppleScripts that set the Zooming back to pre CS6 where 100% was 1:1. The AppleScript I posted in no.66 lets you toggle.

Re: InDesign CS6 resolution for pixel documents not the same

• 3. Re: Showing 1:1 pixel ratio in InDesign 9.2.2

unless you're working with digital media, it actually doesn't matter if it can show 1:1 pixel ratio.

There are many features in ID for screen and interactive design —I don't see how you can effectively design for screen without a 1:1 view.

• 4. Re: Showing 1:1 pixel ratio in InDesign 9.2.2
                Doc Maik Level 4

For digital media, switching view to "Original size" shows you 1:1 pixel view. But what's the use? Let's say you are designing for iPad with Retina display with 2048x1536 pixels resolution, which is even higher than of a normal 24" desktop monitor. What do you get by viewing the page in 1:1 pixel? I would prefer to have a view that emulates the 9.7" screen size of the iPad on my 21" or 24" monitor. This is what I consider as 1:1 view.

It always depends on what size of monitor and what resolution a document is viewed and that's almost different with every next person viewing your work.

I made a test to compare CS6's ID and PS on a 800x600 blank. In ID, it is 75% after double-clicking the magnifier tool, corresponding to 100% in PS. While Ctrl+1 produces a 100% view in both applications, the blank does not look the same size in ID, it's bigger. ID indeed seems to consider pixels differently. Well, different tools, different software departments at Adobe's. Just look how different the Adobe tools look right after first installation and you can see the mess. One is black (PS), one is dark grey (AI) and one light grey (ID). Same with logos and package. Similar, somehow, but yet different.

• 5. Re: Showing 1:1 pixel ratio in InDesign 9.2.2
                  mttkng_ Level 1

The old behaviour of double-clicking the zoom tool would give you the 1:1 ratio no matter what the res of the monitor. For example, double-clicking on my Mac would zoom the document to 67% giving 1:1. On a colleague’s Mac with a different res screen double-clicking zoomed to 73% which gave 1:1 pixel ratio for him. All very intelligent and extremely useful for web visuals created in InDesign.

This article explains the old behaviour well - Re: Matching InDesign and Photoshop Pixel Dimensions

• 6. Re: Showing 1:1 pixel ratio in InDesign 9.2.2

ID indeed seems to consider pixels differently.

AI, PS, Flash, Dreamweaver and desktop web browsers display 100% as a 1:1 image pixel to monitor pixel ratio.

IDCS6+ and Acrobat display 100% as actual print size—in order to display an accurate print size they have to get the monitor's physical dimensions and running resolution from the system. The actual print size is a nice feature if you design exclusively for print—prior to CS6 ID's 100% was 1:1 and actual print size varied depending on the monitor's res.

If you want to see exactly how an image's pixels will display in a browser, you have to set Photoshop's view to 100% (1:1). If you view at some odd percentage (i.e 66% or 133%) the preview will be resampled to fit the view, so you no longer get an accurate view of type or object anti-aliasing. You can see the problem with these 1 pixel lines viewed at different percentages, the center 100% view shows how the lines would display in a browser:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/lines.html

• 7. Re: Showing 1:1 pixel ratio in InDesign 9.2.2

For digital media, switching view to "Original size" shows you 1:1 pixel view.

I'm not seeing an Original size in CC?

ScreenSnapz001.png

• 8. Re: Showing 1:1 pixel ratio in InDesign 9.2.2

For example, double-clicking on my Mac would zoom the document to 67% giving 1:1.

The zoom level needed for the 1:1 view is also not usually a whole number, which means you probably won't even be a able to plugin 67% to get an exact 1:1.

I can get the 1:1 zoom level via scripting in CS6, and for my 27" iMac it's 66.055047793651—66% doesn't work.

• 9. Re: Showing 1:1 pixel ratio in InDesign 9.2.2
                          Brandtagonist Level 1

Totally agree. We use Indesign for all our digital deliverables... websites, apps and the like because it handles type, styles and large documents well. Having that 1:1 view is ESSENTIAL for getting an appropriate feel for size. We need a way to do that.

Maybe it's time to move over to Sketch, they also have this amazing way of specifying hex colors (gasp!).

• 10. Re: Showing 1:1 pixel ratio in InDesign 9.2.2

Maybe it's time to move over to Sketch, they also have this amazing way of specifying hex colors (gasp!).

The scripts in this thread still work for CC— #66 AppleScript and #4 for Javascript—you only have to run the script once to get the 100% 1:1 view:

Re: InDesign CS6 resolution for pixel documents not the same

There's a free In-Tools hex plugin, not sure if it will work with CC.

• 11. Re: Showing 1:1 pixel ratio in InDesign 9.2.2

It looks like there's also no 1:1 view in the new ID CC 2014 (10.0.0.70). If anyone wants to add to it, I've just posted a feature request here.

1:1 View