7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2014 1:53 AM by rb1953

Is it possible to turn on simplified Chinese h&j in InDesignCC?

rb1953

Hi,

I am moving a load of simplified Chinese text from Word to InDesignCC, and there does,'t appear to be support for simplified Chinese in the languages dropdown. Is this something that is available?

All help gratefully received!

Robert

• 1. Re: Is it possible to turn on simplified Chinese h&j in InDesignCC?
          Ellis home Level 4

Go all the way down to the bottom of the list. Make sure also that you turn on Adobe World Ready Paragraph Composer.

• 2. Re: Is it possible to turn on simplified Chinese h&j in InDesignCC?
            rb1953 Level 1

Hello Ellis,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have the Adobe World Ready Paragraph Composer turned on, but the final language in the list is Ukrainian - nothing beyond at all.

The text displays properly and the Chinese font is OK (the installed KaitiSC system font), it is just the lack of H&J which is a puzzle.

This is a puzzle to me, and not an issue previously encountered.

Kind regards

Robert

• 3. Re: Is it possible to turn on simplified Chinese h&j in InDesignCC?
              Ellis home Level 4

I see what you mean. For that you'll have to install the Chinese:Simplified dictionary. May be somebody else can help here on how to do that.

• 4. Re: Is it possible to turn on simplified Chinese h&j in InDesignCC?
                David W. Goodrich Level 3

I'm not sure that using CJK language attributes affects H&J other than to turn it off when those attributes get attached to alphabetic text.  Of course, ID can use Japanese line-breaking rules, but you need the CJK versions of ID (or Harbs' World Tools Pro) to control them — in other words, my understanding is that this is beyond the World Ready Composer.

As for ID's list of "Language" attributes, IDCS4 and earlier versions listed them in alphabetical order; that is, unlike the font list, they are not broken down by character set.  I used to think ID came with language attributes for CJK, but when I said as much on this forum several years ago I was quickly proven wrong.  Unbeknownst to me, I'd apparently imported the attributes by placing MS Word files (*.doc and *.rtf) in ID going back to ID2.  MS Word seemed to apply the language format whenever you entered text in a CJK font.  Once they showed up in ID's list those attributes seemed to hang around — in fact, I had a couple each for Simp. and Trad. Chinese, picked up I supposed from Mac and Windows files.

I just checked an IDCS4 file where I placed a CJK-less *.docx yesterday, and was surprised to find no CJK languages in IDCS4's list.  I now realize I may have perpetuated the CJK language attributes by re-cycling old character styles that included them (most of my work includes some CJK).  Or maybe the difference is a matter placing of *.docx versus *.doc and *.rtf?  I dunno, and I certainly don't know about IDCC (my latest is CS6, but I mainly use CS4).  Still, if I needed the Chinese attribute I'd probably try typing some Chinese in a *.doc or *.rtf file, making it into a char. style there, and then see if the attribute came along for the ride when placing the file in IDCC.

Good luck!

David

• 5. Re: Is it possible to turn on simplified Chinese h&j in InDesignCC?
                  Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

When you are a CC subscriber—you say you are—you can download the CJK version without additional cost. Co to your CC app and you can change the app language and install it now in a different language, in your case the Asian versions, but the same is valid for Hebrew and Arabic, you can run the installer for each of these language after one of another. At the end you can change the preferences to your preferred language again. The installer has now added plug ins which will give you User Interface Access to the features of the additional installed versions like Asian or Hebrew and Arabic even if your InDesign is now running in a different language like English or German or Spanish. All menu items are in your language or if a translation is missing they show up in English.

• 6. Re: Is it possible to turn on simplified Chinese h&j in InDesignCC?
                    rb1953 Level 1

Hello David,

Many thanks for taking the time to write such a full reply. I shall do some further experimentation and report back later!

Kind regards

Robert

• 7. Re: Is it possible to turn on simplified Chinese h&j in InDesignCC?
                      rb1953 Level 1

Hello Willi,

Your solution is so obvious I really should have thought of it myself.

Many thanks for pointing it out.

Kind regards

Robert