6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2014 5:52 PM by SavUK

Help with Data Merge and Creating Mailing Labels

PGroce

I have a CSV file with three field ("Envelope Name," "Address" and "City ST Zip") and 245 records.

I have mailing labels that fit seven on a page.

I have the document designed. I am able to get the fields inserted but ... when I merge, I get the first page with seven labels of the first records, the second page with seven labels of the second record, the third page with seven labels of the third record. You get the pictures. I want seven different addresses on each page. So ... instead of having 245 pages more like 35.

Is it possible or do I need to figure out how to make my design in Word? *gasp*

• 1. Re: Help with Data Merge and Creating Mailing Labels
          Daniel Flavin Level 4

Everybody makes the same mistake; you set seven (records) up in you InDesign document, don't.

Create the first instance (in the top left)

Go to Data Merge panel and choose Multiple Records per page.

It helps to have guides in place for visual layout and I try to keep the total area for my fields equal to hole numbers - exactly 2 inches wide, for example.

The Data Merge Multiple Records per page will need values for piece to piece spacing. Whole numbers and guides make it simpler.

• 2. Re: Help with Data Merge and Creating Mailing Labels
            SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

On your InDesign page, there should be only one instance of your label. (and nothing else on the page). Then use the Multiple Records layout in the Data Merge panel to set up the pages. A word or caution: apparently, the Preview in Multiple Records is buggy and can trash the file, so don't preview before generating.

• 3. Re: Help with Data Merge and Creating Mailing Labels
              PGroce Level 1

I knew it was a rookie mistake! Thanks for the help!

• 4. Re: Help with Data Merge and Creating Mailing Labels
                SavUK

Daniel, I've read and re-read this many times, but can't seem to get to where I need to be. I'm in a similar boat to the OP in that I need to generate some labels, each of which is 105*148.5 which will fit 4 instances on a sheet of portrait A4. I have 20 records in my .csv file, which I want to get on to 5 sheets of A4.

I've started with a very simple design (a yellow box with the right dimensions) in the top-left and put in my data merge fields (First Name, Last Name etc.) within the yellow box. OK so far. I then go to 'Create Merged Document', and in the Records tab, I have selected Records Per Document Page as Multiple Records. In the Multiple Records Layout tab, I left it as is because I don't need any spacing between the labels on each page. When I hit OK, I get 20 individual A4 pages, each with my yellow box and the different names and addresses in the top-left. Am I missing something here, I would like to be able to end up with 5 pages of A4, each with 4 instances of my (at the moment very basic) label on.

• 5. Re: Help with Data Merge and Creating Mailing Labels
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sounds like you have something else on the page besides your placeholder area. The merge needs to dupicateeverything and if the bounding box for all content is too big you'll only get one record per page no matter what you choose.

• 6. Re: Help with Data Merge and Creating Mailing Labels
                    SavUK Level 1

Thanks Peter, I did start with a fresh document with nothing else on it but I managed to get it working by reducing the size of my yellow area. I now have a very small white space on the right and at the bottom but I can live with that and get around it. Thanks!