20 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2018 12:29 AM by reneet97810690

Unable to PRINT as pdf in Photoshop CC

SJEdwards

When I try to save as pdf in Photoshop CC, it does nothing. I go to File - Print. When the print dialogue box comes up I choose "Print Settings". I drop down the PDF box and Choose "Save as PDF…" I give it a file name and choose save…..and Nothing.  I would rather not save as a Photoshop PDF under the normal save as feature.  Any help?

• 1. Re: Unable to PRINT as pdf in Photoshop CC
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

In Photoshop you should not go to print to create a PDF!

Go to Save as… > Choose as file type: Photoshop PDF or Photoshop PDP

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Unable to PRINT as pdf in Photoshop CC
            SJEdwards Level 1

I have been saving it as a Photoshop PDF. However, I should be able to Print-Save to PDF, but it is not working. I'm trying to troubleshoot that particular feature.

• 3. Re: Unable to PRINT as pdf in Photoshop CC

What do you mean with Print-Save to PDF?

That you want to create a PDF via Print, and in the print dialog save as PDF? This should not be done in any case! Never create a PDF via Print from Photoshop, Illustrator or InDesign. So I hope, it will not work.

Or do you mean a PDF to some Print type specification like PDF/X?

• 4. Re: Unable to PRINT as pdf in Photoshop CC
                SJEdwards Level 1

Save to PDF.png

This is what is not working. Whether or not you want me to do it, it should do it.  And it is not. If you cannot answer why this particular feature is not working, please do not respond.

• 5. Re: Unable to PRINT as pdf in Photoshop CC

Why in the world you want to create a PDF via printing? It is not good because it uses either PostScript or a similar Library. Don't use it.

You are not the only one with these questions in a forum, so if you want to do silly things, you can do it, but others are looking in this forum here for solutions, when they encounter the same problem as you have now. They shall find the correct answer and get help. They might be intelligent  and do things as the program functions are intended to be used and not how someone thinks it should work.

So: Don't use print to create a PDF from InDesign, Illustrator or Photoshop!

Use Save as with Photoshop and Illustrator.

Use Export… with InDesign.

There is absolute no reason to print PDFs. No reason to use PostScript.

And the chance is very high, that Adobe has blocked this way to print PDFs from Photoshop.

• 6. Re: Unable to PRINT as pdf in Photoshop CC

And if you insist in doing dump things, I think creating a PDF via printing will not work via Apples Quartz (Save as PDF) but only via Adobe's Library (Save as Adobe PDF) which requires Acrobat Pro installed on your Computer.

• 7. Re: Unable to PRINT as pdf in Photoshop CC
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Willi, there's a way to make your point without calling the poster's question "dumb" or otherwise being offensive. Please keep things civil on this forum. People are, after all, genuinely and humbly asking for help.

• 8. Re: Unable to PRINT as pdf in Photoshop CC
                        arnoldfishman

not a dumb question at all. I have the exact same issue. the print the file AS PDF 8.0 and it appears to working but there is no file, no location. This function used to work on the old Indesign software. whats good about the Print to PDF if it could work, is that there is a the capacity of printing pages as a thumbnail compilation. I dont see any way to do this thru the standard Export as PDF function.

• 9. Re: Unable to PRINT as pdf in Photoshop CC
                          gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You may want to save your psd as a flat Tiff file and then use  Create PDF in Acrobat, or Print to Adobe PDF in another program At this point you can't do it directly from Photoshop.

I'm a user, not a staff member so I'm just suggesting a workaround in the meantime.

Gene

• 10. Re: Unable to PRINT as pdf in Photoshop CC
                            arnoldfishman Level 1

I may have posted this comment in wrong thread. My printing pdf needs is from InDesign, not Photoshop. thanks

• 11. Re: Unable to PRINT as pdf in Photoshop CC
                              Bo LeBeau Level 4

Adobe programs don't use the standard Mac OSX print dialogs as their main interface for printing.

While you may be able to access the Mac OSX print dialog via the Adobe print dialog, as you have discovered, the Save as PDF option in the Printer dialog is not supported.

Photoshop doesn't give you an error message, but InDesign does.

But the whole point of the Mac OS giving this option in the first place, is so that people who have applications that don't support the native creation of PDFs can still create a PDF using the built in Mac OS Quartz content to create their PDFs.

Since Adobe invented the PDF format, their applications can create PDFs with more options and better internal file integrity that Mac OS Quartz or other 3rd party PDF content creators.

By the way, you may have noticed that Mac Preview is a poor PDF reader that only handles a small subset of PDF features.

The forums are full of posts from Mac people wondering why their PDFs aren/t working correctly. In practically every case they are using Mac Preview to view their PDF.

Their problems go away when they download and use the free Adobe Reader.

That Mac OS help file is just general information and can't possibly cover every single issue that you may encounter when using your computer.

unsupported quartz.png

• 12. Re: Unable to PRINT as pdf in Photoshop CC
                                gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The InDesign forums can best help you out on this issue. Here's the link: InDesign

• 13. Re: Unable to PRINT as pdf in Photoshop CC

Again, why are you not EXPORTING to PDF?

From InDesign you should always export a PDF instead of printing a PDF. From Illustrator and Photoshop is saving as PDF the correct method.

• 14. Re: Unable to PRINT as pdf in Photoshop CC
                                    SimpleTwig

For me it's a question of ease of use. I almost always press command-P and go to 'save as PDF' in all the other programs I use.  It works for my CAD program, writing programs, etc. so am certainly expecting it to work in a similar fashion in PhotoShop especially since these are Adobe products.  In this sense, it seems Adobe could make this route to a PDF workable by making it the same as 'save as' or export as.

The following is my CAD program. I click command-P, click on PDF>Save as, and hit Enter. Done, all dialogues close and I'm finished.

pdf-print.png

There is a route through the Print dialogue but it doesn't always produce a PDF, which I have discovered wastes a lot of time trying to figure out what is going on with my computer... as noted this is probably being blocked by Adobe, but how can they block a function that is clearly available as noted here:

In PhotoShop, one clicks command-P to get the following and then has to know to search 'Print Settings' to find the PDF function which is in the next image...

pdf-now.png  PDF-extra.png

Above, Step 1, and then Step 2>save, then cancel Step 1 (that is not an automatic process).

So while one is thinking they will get a PDF, the fact is it doesn't always work.  Further, the series of keys one has to click on increases and is certainly not as functional as that of my CAD or other programs.  Print to PDF has been around ever since PDF became available. Not having this functional and 'in the same format' as other programs is very unfortunate.  If there is a difference between 'printing to PDF via postscript' or some other option as implied by the above  poster then Adobe should make those options available in the Print dialogue box under PDF.  For real, I have wasted a lot of time just to learn that Adobe does it different, so will now go to 'save as' or whatever.  Still, they are putting every user who works primarily with other programs and not Adobe through the same frustration and waste of valuable time which is just not a very user friendly attitude.  Sometimes program changes have to stand their ground to make a change in the world of software, but in this case, and even though PDF is incredibly useful, is not one of those times.  The hallmark of PDF is that it is universal and easy.  Keep it that way.

'Again why aren't you exporting....' < does not get it. Put that option in the Print dialogue please to function as essentially an export.

• 15. Re: Unable to PRINT as pdf in Photoshop CC
                                      teamwaddell Level 1

Did you ever find an answer for this? It's 2016 and I'm experiencing the same problem now that I've switched to a macbook from windows. So frustrating!

• 16. Re: Unable to PRINT as pdf in Photoshop CC

As it was before, with Adobe Applications like InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator you should NEVER create a PDF via printing. Use Save as or Export as PDF. It creates superior PDFs as any print process would do. Because printing a PDF from Photoshop causes a huge loss of quality, Adobe has disabled this functionality.

• 17. Re: Unable to PRINT as pdf in Photoshop CC
                                          dean25298571

Just came across this thread via Google and just wanted to add my, what I believe to be quite valid, reasoning for wanting to do this.

I do not have a printer attached to my computer, so occasionally I send a PDF to my work computer, which is a different OS and does not have Photoshop installed, to print out a sample of whatever I'm working on in Photoshop. I want it to be size-accurate, and in the top left corner of the page (not centered). The Photoshop Print dialogue easily accomplishes this, and I'd like to save as a PDF from that dialogue to an 8.5x11 document, to allow for quick and easy printing from my other computer. This is much easier than adjusting the canvas size in Photoshop to 8.5x11 every single time I want to print.

It's just for a quick sample print, not any sort of professional print, and I don't think this intended use is in anyway "dumb" or incorrect have some have suggested here.

• 18. Re: Unable to PRINT as pdf in Photoshop CC

You should NEVER create any PDF from Phtoshop via printing. Only saving allows to keep vectors and text as vectors and text in the created PDF. Printing a PDF will rasterize any vector content to the image's resolution and decrease quality.

• 19. Re: Unable to PRINT as pdf in Photoshop CC
                                              tom attix Adobe Employee

SJEwards-

The file is only created when you click Print in the Photoshop print window. Seems a bit weird, but that's how it works.

-Tom Attix

• 20. Re: Unable to PRINT as pdf in Photoshop CC
                                                reneet97810690

Hi,

The people at the printing shop want large poster to be with cut-markings, which only the print menu give you. Therefore I like to print to PDF, to deliver print-ready designs, incl overflow, marges, etc.

Thanks,

Renee.