2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2014 11:47 AM by SUNNIBEEMT

TOC in book PDF only includes link to OBJR tags in the same chapter (InDesign CS6, noncloud).

SUNNIBEEMT Level 1

This subject was brought up in 2012, but no satisfactory resolution showed up (other than it's a "bug"). I have an InDesign book that, when exported to PDF, bookmarks panel shows links for all the items in the TOC, all the links from the TOC work inside the document, but the tag tree does not have OBJR tags for  all the chapters except the chapter that includes the TOC. My TOC is NOT linked to any other stories.

Another post lead me to think that perhaps rebuilding every chapter may help. I've already rebuilt the TOC chapter and the following chapter, but that didn't help.

I have been using the same methods to create books for several years and have never had a problem before.

Help?? (Of course I'm on a tight deadline...)

Thank you.

Sunni

• 1. Re: TOC in book PDF only includes link to OBJR tags in the same chapter (InDesign CS6, noncloud).
          a C student Level 3

Hi Sunni,

I do not know what went wrong in the conversion from Indesign to PDF. As a workaround you could add the missing OBJR elements to the TOC using Acrobat Pro. In the Tags pane, click the down arrow next to the Options icon, select Find..., then in the Find Element dialog box select Unmarked Links, click the Find button then Tag Element. Each OBJR element will need a parent Link tag, with the link text (e.g. Chapter 1) as a sibling.

Hope this helps.

a 'C' student

• 2. Re: TOC in book PDF only includes link to OBJR tags in the same chapter (InDesign CS6, noncloud).
            SUNNIBEEMT Level 1

Thanks for trying but hand editing is not workable. I have hundreds of TOC entries and have to provide 5 PDF variations on the theme (100 dpi, 300 dpi, PRESS, with color and B/W versions for each resolution). Plus the client, who is not an Inddy expert, wants to be able to edit the Inddy file in the future and produce subsequent Sec. 508- compliant PDFs with minimal remediation.

I found a workaround: convert it to one long document. Works fine, but I'm not sure of the stability, given it's over 100 pp long. Previous 2012 posts indicate this is a "bug." Was hoping a solution had been found since then.

Thanks.

-S