1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 17, 2014 10:03 AM by Joel Cherney

Arabic / Hindi digits problem with Myriad Arabic font

aboumichael Level 1

Hi,

In Indesign Middle Eastern version we have the option to change the digits (numerals) between Arabic and Hindi (1234/١٢٣٤).

I having a problem with flipping the digits to Arabic (Latin typface) instead of Hindi (Arabic typface) when typing using Arabic input language in my keyboard.

The feature works when you type using English as an input language but as soon as you change your input language to Arabic the numbers are typed in Hindi digits and the feature of changing them to Arabic digits (Latin typface) doesn't work.

I'm using "Arabic Myriad" font for my project but I tested "Adobe Arabic" font too and both have the same problem, I'm not sure if the problem is from Indesign or in the fonts?!

Any help is appreciated

• 1. Re: Arabic / Hindi digits problem with Myriad Arabic font
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

but as soon as you change your input language to Arabic the numbers are typed in Hindi digits and the feature of changing them to Arabic digits (Latin typface) doesn't work.

Which "feature of changing them"?

If I use the numeric keypad and the English keyboard, the digits keyed respect the language setting of the text in ID. If I use the numeric keypad and the Arabic keyboard... the digits respect the language setting of the text in ID. If I use the flyout from the Character panel to change to Arabic numerals, or Hindi numerals, or Farsi numerals, then all of the numerals change accordingly, no matter what language setting I use. Were you already aware that language is a character-level formatting quality in ID?

My hunch is that you're not changing the Language setting of the text. If I'm wrong: does it happen in all files? Only new files? Only one file? Also, which platform are you using? Windows or Mac? Which version?