5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2014 9:32 PM by radiojock1 RSS

does the audition cc trial version hate windows 8.1?

radiojock1

I d/led the trial because cc is supposedly the only version that is compatible with 8.1.

It ate all my ram and slowed my machine to a crawl. I uninstalled and tried to reinstall and it took so long I gave up (after almost an hour it still wasn't done)

I exceed all the system requirements, anyone have any ideas?

• 1. Re: does the audition cc trial version hate windows 8.1?
          SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

As far as the RAM eating is concerned, are you trying to use it with video? There have been reports that this happens when video playback (which involves QuickTime) is done, but not on all systems. This definitely looks like a QT problem though because it simply doesn't happen when Audition is used alone.

As far as Windows 8 is concerned - well as far as I can make out, it hates software. All of it, regardless of what it is, and I have lost at least a couple of days of my life to it in an attempt to make it work better (or at all in one case). The upgrade that works is Windows 7, with which Audition behaves fine. Specifically, because of the way the OS screws with audio, it's not particularly easy to use it with Audition unless you use an external sound device with an ASIO driver. This works much better, because ASIO punches a hole clean through the OS and lets Audition deal with your sound device rather more directly. This was originally done to improve latency, but with OS's like W8 there's clearly this other advantage as well...

• 2. Re: does the audition cc trial version hate windows 8.1?
            _durin_ Employee Hosts

Audition CC doesn't rely upon Quicktime at all, as Apple does not provide a 64-bit version for Windows.  Video codec support is entirely through Adobe DLMS (DynamicLink Media Server.)

Can you provide more detail on specifically what happens?  When you launch Audition, does the interface come up and are you able to open and play files, or does this slowdown happen during the launch process?  What video card do you have?  (There is a check for OpenGL support on launch, and in some rare cases, I've seen this process get stuck.  Generally, upgrading the video drivers to the latest from the manufacturer, and not the default Windows drivers, solves the problem.)

• 3. Re: does the audition cc trial version hate windows 8.1?
              sslechta Community Member

I just joined here recently and downloaded the CC trial last week. I've had no issues with Win 8.1 and the trial on this side. I'm using a USB sound card with ASIO drivers.

• 4. Re: does the audition cc trial version hate windows 8.1?
                SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

_durin_ wrote:

Audition CC doesn't rely upon Quicktime at all, as Apple does not provide a 64-bit version for Windows.  Video codec support is entirely through Adobe DLMS (DynamicLink Media Server.)

Cleverly misremembered by me - sorry 'bout that. If it is video-related though, have a look at this thread, though.

• 5. Re: does the audition cc trial version hate windows 8.1?
                  radiojock1 Community Member

Thanks folks, on further reflection I d/led the pack that makes audition 3.1 work with windows 8.1, so far nothing has gone wrong (famous last words). I do appreciate all your advice!