5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2014 12:29 PM by Nancy OShea

Currently using Dreamweaver CS3 and need to update to newer version.

dstauffer Level 1

I am currently using Dreamweaver CS3 and need to update to new version due to the fact that my webpage is having problems being viewed online due to compatibility issues. I am an amatuer and would like to know which version is the best to update to? And how do I transfer all of my old files from CS3 to the newer version?

• 1. Re: Currently using Dreamweaver CS3 and need to update to newer version.
          Jon Fritz II Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Switching to DWCC (the most current version) won't automatically fix anything. If you have errors in your code, the only thing you can do is use the validator at http://validator.w3.org to get a listing and attempt to fix them. DW won't do that for you no matter what version you have.

You qualify for a discount on the CC version as a DWCS3 owner...

Buying guide | Adobe Dreamweaver CC

As for "transferring files" if you're just adding a new version to the same machine there's really not much to transfer. CC isn't an upgrade to any of the other versions, so it can be installed simultaneously on the same machine as DWCS3. All you should need to do is install the new version, then from the old version, go to Site > Manage Sites to export a .ste file of your site settings. Then close DWCS3 and open CC (they won't run at the same time) to go to Site > Manage Sites to import that .ste.

If you're also getting a new machine, it's just about as easy, you just make a copy of your local site folder and the .ste from the export on the new machine, then import the .ste and verify the local root folder points to the site folder copy.

• 2. Re: Currently using Dreamweaver CS3 and need to update to newer version.
            dstauffer Level 1

Jon, Thank you for that information. My webpage had no errors and was working properly before all the newer versions of Internet Explorer, etc.

I receive this information:

Found 1 errors in external css files

Affects: Firefox 1.5; Internet Explorer 6.0, 7.0; Internet Explorer for Macintosh 5.2; Netscape 8.0; Opera 8.0, 9.0; Safari 2.0

I went to the CSS support and the updates do not support CS3, that is why I thought the update.

• 3. Re: Currently using Dreamweaver CS3 and need to update to newer version.
              Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

98% of cross browser display issues are code related and have nothing to do with the version of DW you're using.   Code is code.  Bad code is bad code.  It's that simple.  As Jon said, you need to check your code and manually fix your errors.

CSS - http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

HTML - http://validator.w3.org/

Before you install CC along side CS3, make sure your computer meets the min-requirements to run it.

CC Tech Specs

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/tech-specs.html

Nancy O.

• 4. Re: Currently using Dreamweaver CS3 and need to update to newer version.
                Jon Fritz II Adobe Community Professional & MVP

dstauffer wrote:

Jon, Thank you for that information. My webpage had no errors and was working properly before all the newer versions of Internet Explorer, etc.

I receive this information:

Found 1 errors in external css files

Affects: Firefox 1.5; Internet Explorer 6.0, 7.0; Internet Explorer for Macintosh 5.2; Netscape 8.0; Opera 8.0, 9.0; Safari 2.0

Where is that error being generated?

Have you checked your external .css file to see what it's talking about?

One thing to keep in mind, especially with CSS, is that certain things like browser specific prefixes (-webkit, -moz, etc) technically count as errors, even though certain browsers need the prefix on certain css attributes in order to display that css.

I really never use any built in validation, especially in older versions of DW because it was offline and hardly ever (if at all) updated to current standards. I always use the w3c validators Nancy points to. It gives you much better error analysis and hints on how to fix a problem (in most cases).

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Currently using Dreamweaver CS3 and need to update to newer version.
                  Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Don't concern yourself with obsolete browsers that nobody has anymore. These have been gone for a very long time.

• Firefox 1.5;
                  • Internet Explorer 5.2;
                  • Netscape 8.0;
                  • Safari 2.0

For best results, test your work in the current browsers.

• FF 29+
                  • IE 10+
                  • Chrome 35+
                  • Opera 12+
                  • Safari 5+

Nancy O.

1 person found this helpful