17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2014 2:27 PM by IDno9

PE10 Share for youtube at HD quality 192kbps audio HOW?

IDno9 Level 1

Ok so spent an afternoon trying to work out how to export (share!) my video in PE10 in HD with high quality audio to youtube without having to resort to the setting AVCHD youtube HD widescreen's severe limitation of only 64kbps quality audio.  Tried going into advanced settings but only have dropdown options of low, medium and high audio quality, which strangely do not alter the 64kbps setting at all when selected???

Tried googling to death but despite common recommended setting of 192kbps AAC audio no-one can tell me how to select it except on a mac with final cut.

Surely someone must have desired it before?  How did all those music videos get on youtube with great quality audio or did nobody use premiere elements?

Please someone help as I'm so tired of wasting days on what should be relatively simple tasks.

Many thanks.

• 1. Re: PE10 Share for youtube at HD quality 192kbps audio HOW?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

iDno9

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 10 running on? For now I will assume Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

You have 2 ways to get your HD Timeline content uploaded to YouTube

a. Share/Online/YouTube. with Presets = High Definition Video for YouTube 1920 x 1080". With this route you are restricted to the defaults, including the audio bitrate of 128 kbps for the AAC audio, not your wanted 192 kbps. There is no Advanced Button with its opportunities of Export Settings customization.

b. Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30 or YouTube Widescreen HD. Under the Advanced Tab of the preset selected, in the Export Settings customization area, you have the opportunity to set the AAC audio bitrate to 192 kbps or other. Have you missed that? In this route, you export  the Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive from where you upload it to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

Please review and consider the above. It should work for you. If not, please details where it is not.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: PE10 Share for youtube at HD quality 192kbps audio HOW?
            IDno9 Level 1

hi ATR many thanks for your reply.

Firstly I am running windows7 64bit as you presumed. The settings for the

project are 1920 x 1080 at 25fps. (HD1080i).

The share options available to me are Adobe Flash Video, MPEG, AVCHD,

AVI, Windows Media, QuickTime, Image, and Audio.  There is no Online

option?

When I go to AVCHD and YouTube Widescreen HD and click on the

Advanced Button (not a tab) it brings up the Export Settings window and

at the audio tab at the bottom I can select either low, medium or high

Audio Quality, as stated above.  However as I said none of these change

the AAC bitrate in the Summary/Output section above and it remains at

64kbps.  However I have just noticed that if I change the Codec to AAC+

Version 1 or 2 miraculously the AAC Output bitrate changes to 128kbps

but again the Audio Quality Low, med or high options do not affect this at all

when changed.  Very weirdly now if I switch back to plain AAC minus the

+ Version1/2 it remains at 128kbps and doesn't revert to the 64kbps

default. This doesn't make any sense. There is nowhere to be found a

192kbps option nor even a list of bitrates to select from.  The Frequency

can be changed with an extra 96Khz option available in the AAC+ options,

but that is it.

Also would I change the Basic Video Settings under the Video tab to PAL

and 25fps to match my project or to 30fps as you said, to optomise (I

guess) for Youtube?  Furthermore when I change to PAL from NTSC the

Frame Width default changes from 1280 x 720 to 720 x 576, neither of

which match my project. Which is it that dictates the settings, a match for

my project or YouTube conversion parameters?

Finally if I go to AVCHD preset MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30 (even though my original project was interlaced at 25fps which doesn't have an option under MP4) then the default AAC bitrate is now 160 kbps default. Very weirdly again now if I change codec under Advanced to AAC+ VErsion 1 or 2 the bitrate LOWERS to 128kbps and again locks to this until I cancel the window and click on Advanced button. Again Audio Quality options are low/med/high and have NO EFFECT on bitrate.

At least this time the Frame Width and Height remain at 1920 x 1080 to match my project. But again do I choose 30fps not 25 even though I am in the UK and use PAL, or is it dictated by the worldwide transmission of YouTube and defaulted to NTSC thus requiring conversion (and I would assume loss of quality in the process?)  Not to mention being i not p (only an option in M2T?).  Sigh...

I have to say I have used many pro programs of various description and genre and also cutdown versions like this, and this has to be the most confusing, least user friendly and nonsensical export I have ever come across.  One would think that easy access to optimum Youtube Export would be near the top of the list of requirements.  Apparently not?

Maybe I have missed something glaringly obvious but having clicked on every button/option in sight I am convinced not.  This is totally runing my experience of the program after weeks of editing.

Your feedback/help would be greatly appreciated.

And where is the live help button Adobe?

Many thanks once again.

• 3. Re: PE10 Share for youtube at HD quality 192kbps audio HOW?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

iDno9

Let us go through the details for your Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 64 bit with your source 1920 x 1080 @ 25 interlaced frames per second.

(Assumed that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on the computer with Premiere Elements 10.)

PART 1.

Share/Online/

10-Share.jpg

When you click Online, you get Share/Online/YouTube or Facebook

(if for the first time, you may see a program note about downloading presets for the Online feature)

The screenshot display represents Presets = High Definition Video for YouTube - 1920 x 1080

(AAC audio bitrate at 128 kbps, non adjustable)

10OnlineYouTube.JPG

PART 2.

You wrote

The share options available to me are Adobe Flash Video, MPEG, AVCHD,

AVI, Windows Media, QuickTime, Image, and Audio.  There is no Online

option?

Look further with the following details...

Share is your area for exporting your Timeline content, either burn to or export to a file saved to the computer hard drive....many choices.

Look to the order details.

Share has the choices of

webDVD

Disc

Computer

Mobile Players and Phones

Tape

You are just telling us the choices you find under just Computer.

PART 3

Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = YouTube Widescreen HD. Under the Advanced Button (whatever you want to call it), click on the Audio Tab.

Set the Audio Tab settings to look like the following which includes AAC audio bitrate = 192 kbps (kilobits per second).

AudioBitrate.JPG

Under the Video Tab which is also under the Advanced Button, customize the settings accordingly

a. If you want 1920 x 1080 for the frame size instead of 1280 x 720,

With the Video Tab, decide if you want the default 1280 x 720 @ 24 progressive frames per second or rather 1920 x 1080. I have set for 1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second. Setting the Levels and Profile fields should be done first and then the rest of fields made to appear as per the screenshot.

EDIT ADD ON

Advanced Button/Video Tab screenshot originally posted deleted after posting. Now for clarified version,

please refer to Advanced Button/Video Tab representation as shown in a subsequent post numbered 5.

Other fine tuning of the above next. But first we have to be sure that we are in sync with the basics of the Share section. What video editor have you used previously?

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: PE10 Share for youtube at HD quality 192kbps audio HOW?
                IDno9 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Once again many thanks for your help (and patience).

It appears I had missed the glaringly obvious after all (late night, newbie, no excuse etc).  This is my first time exporting and I had spent so long twiddling in the Computer section I had forgotten the original options. The fact that clicking on the Project tab and back to Share didn't bring them up didn't help.  What I needed to do was click on the Back button at the bottom of Share.  So yes I have found Online.  However as you know that doesn't help anyway with its limitation of 128kbps.

So on to Computer. Yet again I had missed something. That was that when the Advanced/Audio settings dialog window popped up it did so at a size that cut off the options below Audio Quality including bitrate etc. I had failed to see the slider to the right which enabled these to appear.

So, so far so good.  Have been able to select 192kbps and 1920 x 1080@ 25 progressive frames per second.  Here is where confusion sets in though.  You still have it set to NTSC which I thought defaulted to 24fps.  If 25fps is selected do I not change the setting to PAL?  And like I said my project was shot using interlaced rather than progressive.  There is no option for this.  Will this cause a problem?  The video is clear HD despite the interlaced limitations. How can it possibly convert interlaced to progressive at this stage?

And should I therefore shoot all further projects using Progressive? From what I remember I managed to download presets allowing usage of Progessive in PE10 though it was a long time ago.

WIth regards to video programs used previously I did use big brother Premiere but many years ago but mostly pro programs within other genres such as multimedia etc.  So I am a bit of a video newbie but have done my best to study the parameters.  It was the lack of the options appearing via the slider that was confusing me.

So to conclude, I set the parameters to match my project and Youtube will accept these without trying to convert to its defaults (whtever they may be)? And within this there is also the question of the Pal/interlaced issue.

Oh and what does iDno9 at the top of your post mean?

Many thanks and look forward to your feedback.

Jason

• 5. Re: PE10 Share for youtube at HD quality 192kbps audio HOW?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Jason

Sorry about the typing error with regard to your user ID back in post 3. I have corrected that.

NTSC and PAL do not have the same significance for HD as they do for SD. Nonetheless the frame rate for a high definition file continues to be a consideration for regional requirements when you are dealing with 25 or 29.97 (30) frames per second. In your Premiere Elements export settings, I see no significant difference between NTSC project preset with frame rate of 24p (24 progressive frames per second) and PAL project preset with frame rate of 24p (24 progressive frames per second). But, probably as a habit, if I were in an NTSC area, I would probably be going 24p in an NTSC preset.

Videos viewed on the computer via a computer player use the progressive scan. And, these players come with deinterlacing methods for the interlaced video that it is asked to play back. Some players give option for disabling and enabling deinterlacing, some do not. The user control of the player's deinterlacing methods varies from player to player.

If you are recording 1920 x 1080 @ 25 interlaced frames per second as you have indicated, then Premiere Elements 10 project preset =

PAL

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD1080i25

(the prime purpose of the project preset is to direct the program to set up the correct 1920 x 1080 space in the Edit area monitor

for editing...there are other subtle and not so subtle features of the project preset, but, for now, focus on it for the frame size and space in the Edit area monitor for editing)

When you get to export in the Share area, I think you will get your best results

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p25

(keeping the frame rate frame rate of your source...note that in the Output settings, your interlaced video is going to be "Deinterlaced" in the sharing process.

Advanced Button/Video Tab would look like this when specific to PAL 1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second.

Jason.JPG

The Advanced Button/Audio Tab would be as represented in post 3.

Do you have any specific requirement for the 24 progressive frames per second frame rate versus the 25 progressive frames per second?

Or did you just get involved with that thought related to the Presets = YouTube Widescreen HD?

Please review and consider. Anything that still needs clarification, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: PE10 Share for youtube at HD quality 192kbps audio HOW?
                    IDno9 Level 1

Hi ATR,

I will start again with thanking you so much for all your kind efforts and help.

With regards to spelling my ID wrong that is very considerate of you to correct it but that was not what I was referring to. It has been so long since I set up my profile I had completely forgotten that was the ID I used! This was compounded by the fact that my post was listed under the name Jason. Lol!

I also re-remembered the facts regarding fps. 25 is used for PAL but 30 is the NTSC standard, not 24. 24fps is used to simulate cinematic quality. Again it has been a while. Though strange that NTSC should then default to 24fps not 30 in share?

So, I would use 25fps to match my project at 1920 x 1080 192kbps, gotcha, and it doesn't matter if I set it to PAL or NTSC as it will be viewed on computer not TV and therefore not subject to area frame rates?  If this is the case I still don't get why it has a PAL or NTSC option as this is the Computer share section, and I note that Youtube HD widescreen only has NTSC as an option. Also what would be the implications of setting a different frame rate to the original?  Would it convert it or would it play faster or slower?

192kbps is the minimum audio quality I would use generally speaking but noticing the options for 256kbps and 320kbps I wondered how these may affect the output?  Would the file size be considerably larger and slower to play for certain users or are these settings now acceptable and commonplace (ie could I get away with it)?

I was referring to shooting my future videos using 1080p on my cam rather than i and then the p project preset (though if this is just about frame size it would be the same as using my present i project preset?). I just thought this would increase quality as the share process would then not have to 'deinterlace' it.  Would this be wise?

Finally does Youtube play the exported file then as is without any further processing or should I expect further conversion anomalies?

I appreciate all your help.

Best regards

Jason

• 7. Re: PE10 Share for youtube at HD quality 192kbps audio HOW?
                      IDno9 Level 1

Ha just noticed estimated file size only increases by 5mb when changing from 192 to 320kbps!  Would it not make sense to use the highest rate 320kbps for optimum quality then (this would match the settings of my original audio file though that was MP3 not AAC)?

• 8. Re: PE10 Share for youtube at HD quality 192kbps audio HOW?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Jason

Thanks for the replies. Some thoughts for you to consider.

1. Just be careful that you do not set the audio bitrate so that you push yourself into an audio out of sync issue.

2. Adobe sets up the Share area with all the choices with defaults. Defaults, even though they are supposed to be optimized settings for a given preset, they may or may not be appropriate for you. The Advanced Button offerings gain their significance in offering you the opportunity to customize the Export Settings for what is appropriate for your export under Advanced Button's tabs, typically Video, Audio, maybe Multiplexing.

3. As you are establishing your workflows, it is a good idea to do the mini test run to establish your best settings. But start with the

defaults as your baseline and then customize/optimize. In that regard, if you have not already, use your source media and Premiere Elements

to work through the workflow that I have mentioned in prior posts in your thread and then let us see what we have

a. file size

b. video and audio quality

c. what the video is going to look like at YouTube

Your upload to YouTube from wherever is going to be converted to a flash file (probably H.264.flv). Interestingly, if you wish to download one of your files that you have uploaded to YouTube, you get a H.264.mp4.

ATR

• 9. Re: PE10 Share for youtube at HD quality 192kbps audio HOW?
                          IDno9 Level 1

ATR,

Apologies for late reply been hectic. Many thanks for all your replies and assistance. You have been a massive help!

Very strangely the ability to 'mark as correct answer has vanished'?  It is also very difficult to find this forum from the home page with no obvious links at all!

• 10. Re: PE10 Share for youtube at HD quality 192kbps audio HOW?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

IDno9

Just glad to know that you are moving forward in your Premiere Elements projects.

I am still trying to work through the Adobe Forums changes which came with the Adobe Forums' last major update.

Sometimes the Activities category in the user profile helps. One revelation for me was finding out how to edit a post after it was posted.

At the bottom left of one of my posts is the word "Actions" which appears to be grayed out. But, if I click on that and the post has not been responded to yet, I get an option to edit.

But, I am glad that you got through to the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum, and I am glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

Best wishes

ATR

• 11. Re: PE10 Share for youtube at HD quality 192kbps audio HOW?
                              IDno9 Level 1

ATR

I am and it is down to kind hearted individuals like you, because if we waited for corporations to actually support their own products we would all have long and grey enough beards to get jobs as santa. So thanks.

And indeed, 'update' usually translates as 10 steps backwards, just ask Microsoft (eg it is now not possible to have files in anything but alphabetical order so if you want to arrange files on your pen drive to listen to in preferential order you can't unless you spend hours (days) numbering them 1, 2 etc...DUHHHHHHH!!!)

Of course this is exacerbated by the fact that they now probably employ school leavers who as we all now are so dumb that 99.7% of them can't even spell simple words.

Best wishes back

Jason

• 12. Re: PE10 Share for youtube at HD quality 192kbps audio HOW?
                                IDno9 Level 1

And yes I was unable to edit that post even when clicking on Actions twice because apparently if it is sunny outside 'no actions are available'! Was only going to correct 'as we all now' to 'know' (sic). Oh the irony HAHAHA!

• 13. Re: PE10 Share for youtube at HD quality 192kbps audio HOW?
                                  IDno9 Level 1

Hey ATR,

Ok so I was having a bad day and went on a little bit of a rant with my last coupla posts. But there was certainly some truth in them even if I did exaggerate a tad.

Anyway, WOOHOO the correct answer button is back and though i'm not sure whether this is weather related or not it certainly seems to be random. So I have marked your most relevant reply as the correct answer which I hope will give you some clubcard points you can spend in your local supermarket.

Many thanks.

• 14. Re: PE10 Share for youtube at HD quality 192kbps audio HOW?
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

IDno9

Thanks for the reply. Knowing that my troubleshooting suggestion worked for you is what counts.

As always, do not hesitate to ask questions or ask for clarification on anything written in forums.

ATR

• 15. Re: PE10 Share for youtube at HD quality 192kbps audio HOW?
                                      IDno9 Level 1

Hey ATR,

Just noticed something weird.  The size of the MP4 export for YouTube is 1.21gb for 5 1/2 mins (at 192kbps with all other settings as suggested) yet my original export (Computer/MPG/HDTV 1080i 25 High Quality 384kbps) was which I assumed was the setting for playing on a TV was only 550mb???

I thought the TV setting would be bigger in size?  Which brings me to the question have I selected the right export for playing on a widescreen HD TV and also what is the maximum file size for YouTube?

Thanks again,

J

• 16. Re: PE10 Share for youtube at HD quality 192kbps audio HOW?
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

IDuo9

The .mp4 export for YouTube (about 1.2 GB and 5 1/2 minutes) uses a different video compression than does your "Computer/MPG/HDTV 1080i 25 High Quality" which uses MPEG2 video compression. And that video compression difference appears to be accounting for much of the difference in file size. For example:

If I export a Timeline with my 1920 x 1080p25 video file (166.3 MB, 29 seconds) using

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 - H.264 1920 x 1080p25

The program's estimated file size is 113.84 MB. The video compression is AVCHD and the file extension is .mp4.

but if

Computer

MPEG

with Presets = HDTV 1080i25 High Quality

The program's estimated file size is 55.43 MB. The video compression is MPEG2 and the file extension is .mpg.

If, instead of Share/Computer, I decided to take this same Timeline to YouTube from within the program

YouTube

with Presets = PAL High Definition for YouTube - 1920 x 1080

The program's estimated file size is 28.77 MB. That file size is assumed to be for the flash video that YouTube

converts the original video to (H.264.flv).

As for YouTube limitations for Premiere Elements 10, 11, and 12....upload from within the program 2.0 GB file size and 15 minutes duration.

If you upload your video to YouTube at the YouTube web site, it is my understanding that the same limits apply

to a regular YouTube account. But only at YouTube there is the possibility to get a special account which will allow

for uploads at the YouTube web site beyond the stated limits. The following is one of the online article on the subject. I have never gone beyond the

regular account.

YouTube unlimited length vs 15 minutes / 20GB vs 2GB : Compression techniques

Please review and, if any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 17. Re: PE10 Share for youtube at HD quality 192kbps audio HOW?
                                          IDno9 Level 1

ATR

Once again your clear and comprehensive answers provide all the information I need.  Thanks you are a star.    It's a shame that the YouTube preset is limited to 128kbps as it seems to provide considerably smaller file sizes and allows one to monitor the final output before uploading to YouTube rather than suffering the unpredictability of YouTube's own conversion to .flv file.  Can't help feeling this is a rather silly oversight.