7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2014 3:11 PM by ssprengel

Help opening raw files in PSE 13

cortneytostevin

Hello,

I upgraded PSE 13 from PSE 9. I was using PSE 9 with my Nikon 600 (because I couldn't open the 600 raw files in PSE 9) by using the Adobe DNG converter. This was working fine. Since upgrading I can't open any Nikon 600 raw files in PSE 13 nor can I open the converted DNG files. It only recognizes jpeg files. The "Open in Camera Raw" option in the File drop down menu is also grayed out and can't be selected. I've tried the "updates" option from the Help menu and ran the updates, shut down PSE13 and also shut down computer and it still isn't working.  Wondering if I need to download a new ACR but can't find any that support the Nikon 600. Any help would be appreciated!

• 1. Re: Help opening raw files in PSE 13
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is no Elements 13, yet, probably until the fall (Sept/Oct).  PSE12 is the current version. 

What version of ACR are you running?  Do Help / Adobe Plug-in / Camera Raw to find out.

• 2. Re: Help opening raw files in PSE 13
            cortneytostevin Level 1

Oops. It is 12!!! Still same issue

• 3. Re: Help opening raw files in PSE 13
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

And we still need to know what version of Camera Raw you are using.

• 4. Re: Help opening raw files in PSE 13
                cortneytostevin Level 1

Thank you for your help.

When I do the "Help" drop down menu there isn't an option for "adobe plug-in" just "about plug-in" which doesn't list any options that seem to help when clicking on and none that say Camera raw.

I read the manual instructions for downloading and am currently downloading the zip file; it is about 70% done. Will this help?

This is what I'm referencing:

These instructions were originally written to install ACR 8.2 for PSE11, but have been updated to install ACR 8.3 with PSE12.  While ACR 8.3 RC would work with PSE11, ACR 8.3 final will not.  Only PSE12 will host ACR 8.3.

ACR 8.3 will work with PSE12 to open 70D files, but on an older Windows OS like Vista or XP  there is no compatible installer, so a manual install is the only option.  I should also say that the process outlined below does work on my Windows 7 64-bit computer, but I also have PS-CS6 and PS-CC installed on it, so it is possible that ACR 8.3 is dependent on something that wouldn't exist on a computer with only PSE installed on it, but someone else will have to confirm that.

I was able to get 70D files to open in ACR 8.3 on PSE12 by doing the following:

Download the ACR 8.3 for Windows update for PS-CC via the direct download link on the Adobe Blog - in the future this link will likely contain links to only newer versions of ACR but the process would be similar:

http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2011/03/keeping-photoshop-up-to-date.html#notconnected

Unzip this downloaded setup.zip to a folder somewhere.

Inside the files from that zip is a folder called payloads \ AdobeCameraRaw8.0All-031213015928. 

(Note that for future versions of PS and ACR the folder name will be different at the end, but the general format shold be similiar, and the important thing is that this is the folder without x64 in the path, because at this point PSE is a 32-bit program so we need the 32-bit version of the plug-in.  At some point in the future, PSExx may be 64-bit and the approporiate file or files could be the 64-bit version for the 64-bit version of PSE.  This zip file is for Photoshop which has both 32-bit and 64-bit versions so there are both versions of the plug-in as well.)

Inside that folder is another ZIP called Assets1_1.zip so unzip it somewhere.

Inside Assets1_1.zip there is a file called 1003.  This is the largest or perhaps only file in that zip and is the plug-in you need.

Copy this 1003 file into the existing PSE12 camera raw plug-in folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements 12\File Formats or for a 32-bit Windows OS, into:  C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements 12\File Formats

Rename the existing Camera Raw.8bi to Camera Raw_8bi_80 (in case something doesn't work and you need to rename it back, later).

Rename 1003 to Camera Raw.8bi

After these steps you have the ACR 8.3 plug-in installed in PSE12 but not the camera and lens profiles, so install those by downloading and installing the DNG Converter 8.3:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows

• 5. Re: Help opening raw files in PSE 13
                  cortneytostevin Level 1

I think what is installed on the computer currently is Version 6.3 but that was for PSE 9. Would it automatically update with PSE 12?

• 6. Re: Help opening raw files in PSE 13
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No. Camera Raw 6.3 is not compatible with Photoshop Elements 12.

• 7. Re: Help opening raw files in PSE 13
                      ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I typed Adobe too many times already, today, so About became Adobe.  PSE12 should install CR 8.1 and doing a Help / Updates should update to 8.4 if you are on Windows 7-8.1 or OSX 10.7/8/9.  What operating system are you running?

The manual install instructions will put ACR 8.4 in PSE 12, although the zip file name in the Payloads folder will be slightly different because this is a newer version of ACR.    This ACR 8.4 will only work if you are on a newer OS as described, above.