1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 17, 2014 5:57 PM by Peter Spier

export black text as black with profiles included; how to use Acrobat Pro's Separations Preview …

matua

Hello.

I'm aware of Export Black issue , but the issue doesn't seem solved there. My situation is this:

I have two InDesign CS5-documents (that will go into offset printing).

The first one contains only :

black text (InDesign default swatch [Black])

greyscale images, all in ICC Profile 15% Dot Gain.

InDesign's Separation Preview affirms that no other colour than black anywhere in the document.

I export to PDF with these settings:

Output: Colour: No Colour Conversion, Include All Profiles.

I analyse the resulting PDF in Acrobat Pro 9 Pro, using Output Preview set the Simulation Profile to Dot Gain 15%. Separations shows me that the black text is Process Black 92%. If I set the Simulation Profile to coated fogra39 (a CMYK profile that won’t actually be in use), separations show the text as 100% Process Black as should be—however, when using Uncoated fogra29, which is much closer to it's actual use, the result is 98/70/44/88 CMYK.

Overview:

No Colour Conversion, Include All Profiles, black text shows as:

Acrobat Pro 9 Pro Output Preview Simulation Profile Dot Gain 15% : 92%K

Acrobat Pro 9 Pro Output Preview Simulation Profile Coated FOGRA39: 100K

Acrobat Pro 9 Pro Output Preview Simulation Profile Uncoated FOGRA29: 98/70/44/88 CMYK

Results with No Colour Conversion, Don't Include Profiles are exactly the same.

What is that, what does Acrobat’s Preview tell about the actual document?

The second document contains CMYK-images and black text. The images are shown as „Document CMYK“ (frankly I don’t understand what that means, and I don’t understand why, either, since in photoshop, their profile shows as ISO Coated v2 (ECI)). Exporting it with no profiles included leads to 100K when looked at as coated fogra39 — but since there is no profile included, which is the right one to choose in Acrobat’s Output Preview?

Overview:

No Colour Conversion, Include All Profiles, black text shows as:

Acrobat Pro 9 Pro Output Preview Simulation Profile Uncoated FOGRA29: 98/70/44/88 CMYK

Surprisingly, results with No Colour Conversion, Don't Include Profiles aren't the same. Black text shows as:

Acrobat Pro 9 Pro Output Preview Simulation Profile Uncoated FOGRA29: 100K

So, same question here. What does Acrobat really tell me, how do I use the Separations Preview correctly (nothing of all this in any documentation I could find), and what do I need to do to get the black text black with all profiles included?

Thanks a lot