8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2014 9:11 PM by areohbee

Speed up saving JPG

jruud Level 1

I need help figuring out how to speed up RAW to JPG saving time. It typically takes 10-15 seconds to save a JPG for each image. Here's my configuration:

Canon 5d3 large RAW

Panasonic Toughbook, Windows 8.1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 5400 rpm hard drive, shared graphics

I usually save the JPG at 10 quality

I suspect that the slow 5400 rpm hard drive is the culprit and that an SSD would help, but I'm just looking for some input on this

• 1. Re: Speed up saving JPG
          Yammer Level 4

I'd have thought your CPU/memory speed was the main factor, although a slow laptop HDD certainly doesn't help. How big are the JPEGs? No idea what CPU a Panasonic "Toughbook" sports. There are probably OS configuration issues at play here too, like Power profiles, unnecessary background processes, and disk fragmentation.

• 2. Re: Speed up saving JPG
            areohbee Level 6

jruud wrote:

I suspect that the slow 5400 rpm hard drive is the culprit and that an SSD would help.

Nope: the amount of time it takes to read entire raw file from a 5400 rpm disk (and write the jpeg) is still only a fraction of a second - cutting that down won't make much difference.

It's more about CPU and other bottlenecks I don't understand.

Have you checked that all ___ cores (how many) are participating - what is CPU utilization?

Rob

• 3. Re: Speed up saving JPG
              jruud Level 1

The CPU is a 2.5 Ghz Core i5. I'm not sure about cores participation.

• 4. Re: Speed up saving JPG
                areohbee Level 6

jruud wrote:

I'm not sure about cores participation.

Check the performance tab of task manager (Ctrl-Shift-Esc).

• 5. Re: Speed up saving JPG
                  jruud Level 1

So I just processed 75 RAWs in both CS6's Camera Raw plugin and CC's Camera Raw plugin and it took almost the same amount of time. CS6: 14:49, CC: 14:07

I checked Task Manager and both cores were in use but only utilized up to about 60%. I'm still not sure how to make this go faster. We show slideshows at wedding receptions and it's no fun having to wait for RAW files to process. I could shoot medium JPG and just go with that for the slideshows...but it still takes forever rendering 1000+ RAW files later.

• 6. Re: Speed up saving JPG
                    areohbee Level 6

jruud wrote:

both cores ... 60%

Are you saying the cores never max out and clip, or just that the average is about 60%?

Anyway, a 4-8 core processor will generally improve processing time over a dual core, when Lr is properly distributing the load during export.

Until hardware upgrade, my only advice is:

A. Export into a tree for ready access, as soon as you finish editing, so you're not doing 1000 at once and waiting for them.

B. Consider accessing rendered copies from the preview cache instead, e.g. via a plugin like PreviewExporter.

C. Convert to DNG and access embedded previews - granted it takes the same amount of time to render previews as export, still may make things more convenient.

Note: Lightroom takes a while to export big raw files even on the fastest hardware, so don't get your hopes up too high, but 10-15 seconds is on the slow side - you could probably cut that in half fairly easily (by upgrading your hardware), but getting it under a quarter will be more of a feat..

I am assuming minimal amount due to background processes etc. which may be wrong - so check it / test it...

Rob

• 7. Re: Speed up saving JPG
                      jruud Level 1

See here is where I'm getting into a few things that I don't understand:

1) I have Lightroom but don't use it. I just don't see the need for it when I have PS. So I don't know what a tree is or what your point in A is.

2) I also don't get when/which previews are cached. Again, I'm using Camera Raw almost exclusively.

• 8. Re: Speed up saving JPG
                        areohbee Level 6

jruud wrote:

don't use it

Sorry - I forget which forum I'm in sometimes - you can ignore my previous post: not applicable..