7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2014 6:59 AM by ECBowen

4790K and Z97

ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

So far testing with the new 4790K and Z97 has been interesting. The initial clocking tests show the current CPU production is clearly back to clocking at 4.7GHz without major increases in voltage. However 4.8 and even 4.9 GHz though require significant voltage increase and are still unstable. Cooling starts becoming an issue so far above 4.7GHz. The internal testing results with AVC media shows exactly the same performance as the 4770K was. However the hardware used with the 4790K was newer and higher spec. This testing was done with 32GB of ram, Intel 520 SSD OS drive and Crucial 1TB M550 SSD media drive. The Video card is the 780Ti. The 4790K so far has not been able to push the 780Ti card above 20% load even when the CPU load is 100%.

Now however comes the really good ie interesting part. Last night I decided to run the R3D 4K to 4K DPX benchmarks we normally do. The 4 layers of 4K R3D 30 seconds of media took 11 minutes last testing on the 4930K at 4.5GHz a few months ago. That also was with a 770GTX 4GB card. The single Xeon 2697 V2 12 Core took 9 minutes and that was  with a 780GTX card. The 4790K at 4.7GHz with the 780Ti card took 5 minutes and 20 seconds. Now this was so shocking I ran it twice to make sure and sure enough exactly the same the second time. Now I verified the Premiere version is still the 7.2.2 build number incase the Red update expect to come with the next major cloud update already dropped. However as far as I can tell it hasn't yet. So I decided to test the real time playback. Up to this point last time tested, even Dual Xeon 2697 V2's could not playback R3D 4K at full resolution preview without dropping frames in Premiere. The latency for processing was to high. The coming GPU accelerated debayering was suppose to resolve that. However this 4790K right now is playing at full resolution this same 4 layer R3D 4K project with a average CPU load of 4 to 25%. The GPU load actually peaks at 17%. I am currently downloading some 6K media to further test what is going on and verify. So I will update when I have further news. Very interesting indeed.

Eric

ADK

• 1. Re: 4790K and Z97
          VictorNguyen Level 1

Thank you for your work Eric. Would like to hear further results. If that's the case then I might consider 4790k instead of 4930k for my new build.

• 2. Re: 4790K and Z97

Well the 6K R3D wont playback at full resolution preview without dropping frames but it does playback at 1/2 res. The 780Ti though is only showing a 4% max load during the 6K playback which is far lower than the 4K.  Also I should clarify the CPU load above. The initial playback for the 4K at full or 6K at 1/2 or full resolution starts at 100% and stays that way until Premiere makes 1 pass through the timeline. Then the CPU load drops to the 4% to 25% on average. So the initial realtime render/playback is taking the full processing capability of the 4790K until all the cache is generated in ram. Then the processing load drops as the data is already cached. Will need to bring my 12 Core Xeon 2697 V2 in and run these tests with the 780TI and the Crucial M550 drive.

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: 4790K and Z97

The Creative Cloud 2014 has radically improved performance with R3D. The 4790K at 4.7GHz and a 780TI card was exporting a 4 layer 30 second R3D 4K timeline to 4K DPX in 5 mins and 20 seconds before the update. The same timeline in CC 2014 Premiere exports in 1 min and 48 seconds. The GPU load was pushing over 53% with the new version and the GPU accelerated Debayering.. The previous version of the cloud would only allow this 4790K to push that same card to 17% or so. I will continue with benchmarks including 6K and AVC media and post them for the systems as I have time.

• 4. Re: 4790K and Z97
                JFPhoton Level 3

wow.....this new "2014" version appears to radically improve performance to such a degree that all new testing.....on a wide range of formats....is warranted. Will this new version provide performance increases across the board, with all types of codecs...or, just some ?? Will previously marginal machines now edit with ease ?? I, for one, am looking forward to your testing Eric and what you may recommend for various types of work.....esp with the new Haswell E coming out, and its improvements.The news story today claimed Adobe is trying to make greater use of the video card capabilities in improving performance. Does this also mean cards with more video memory,(4gb and higher), will do even better ??

Things have sure come a long way in the last few years and the exciting thing is high quality content can be created at a far lower cost than in the past.....where only very expensive industrial equipment could do the job.

• 5. Re: 4790K and Z97

I will be posting all the benchmarks for each system with the new version as I can. I will also add some codecs to the benchmarks to test. As of right now AVCHD to h264 shows no change at all in performance. Ill post complete results in another thread once I get more done.

Eric

ADK

• 6. Re: 4790K and Z97
                    VictorNguyen Level 1

Darn it I just spent $2600 on a 4930k build

• 7. Re: 4790K and Z97

I will be testing the 4930K asap. I don't expect the performance increases to be any less on the 6 core.

Eric

ADK