4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2014 10:41 AM by Mr Picouli

convert to smart object resolution problem

Mr Picouli

Hi,

I'm working for video game UI and because of that, my photoshop documents always need to have a resolution of 72 ppi.

My current problem is that when i convert some layers to a smart object using the "convert to smart object" rollout menu, Photoshop always gives this new file a resolution of 300 ppi.

This is very anoying and i don't find in the preferences a way to set a specific resolution for smart object.

Changing the resolution after the creation of the smart object is not a solution (it's a slow process i need to repeat each time a new smart object is create and the smart object became larger in the parent document)

Create a new document with a specific resolution and drag it as a smart object to my parent document is also a very slow process i cannot use as my work files contains a lot of thoses smart objects.

So is there a solution, i'll be very happy to know.

Thanks !

• 1. Re: convert to smart object resolution problem
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9
          My current problem is that when i convert some layers to a smart object using the "convert to smart object" rollout menu, Photoshop always gives this new file a resolution of 300 ppi.

And you are sure the containing document has a resolution of 72ppi?

• 2. Re: convert to smart object resolution problem
            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

mr picouli wrote:

Hi,

I'm working for video game UI and because of that, my photoshop documents always need to have a resolution of 72 ppi.

Why is that game and displays that games are played on do not respect ppi . Displays panels are manufactured with various PPI and none that I seen specs for have a 72ppi resolution. Why is 72ppi so important to your work flow?  Are you sure all you image files are saved with a resolution setting of 72ppi?   I would think the number of pixels that you have for images and objects is what would be of importance  for games.

• 3. Re: convert to smart object resolution problem
              JJMack Most Valuable Participant

mr picouli wrote:

Hi,

Photoshop does not work like that

Capture.jpg

• 4. Re: convert to smart object resolution problem
                Mr Picouli Level 1

ho my ... incredible ... the problem is my stupidity ...

The last documents i was working with has (i really don't now why ...)  a resolution of 300 ppi instead of the 72 ppi i normaly use.

So there's where this problem came from ...

Sorry for the stupid question ...

Just to answer JJMAC : yes i need this resolution of 72 in my workflow because the assets i create are in 2D and in pixel perfect and not like textures apply on 3D planes for exemple.