4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2014 10:13 AM by isips

Lock Geometric Relations

isips Level 1

In InDesign CC, is there a way to lock or define geometric relations between two objects or frames. I would like to lock the gap between two text frames. Also, this may be more impossible, but I would like to lock the center of a text frame to a parallel ruler guide, or perhaps to the bottom or top of another frame?

• 1. Re: Lock Geometric Relations
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Such discreet spacial relationship treatment isn't an explicit feature of the application, but as the operator, you can impose and enforce those types of relational constraints as you work.

In just about any case, the first step would be to group the objects. This will maintain their relationship during movement and other operations which don't affect their dimensions.

For operations that do affect dimensions, such as scaling one of the objects, it's a matter of 1) isolating the object from the group by double-clicking, then 2) setting the reference point to the side or point you want to keep stationary. When using the Transform panel, set the reference point using the 9-point proxy. When using a transformation tool directly, set the reference point by clicking on the object.

• 2. Re: Lock Geometric Relations
            isips Level 1

Ahh, that's a bummer. Thank you though

• 3. Re: Lock Geometric Relations
              John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're welcome...although I don't get the "bummer" part. The program will do what you want; or more accurately, it provides the means for you to do it. If there is something you want specifically, but don't know how to make it happen, post back here with details, and you'll get an explanation of how to go about it.

• 4. Re: Lock Geometric Relations
                isips Level 1

It's a bummer cause InDesign is not able to do that exact thing I want it to do in the exact way I want it to do it. I basically want to be able to edit the layout like a design in CAD software such as Solidworks or ProEngineer, if that's not possible, I'll explore other options. I will ask more questions though, or if you have any literature in mind, let me know. Thank you again, John.