18 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2014 6:58 AM by ProDesignTools

New Software Available via your Creative Cloud Application

Noel Carboni Level 8

If you haven't noticed / been notified already, there are new (2014) applications available for download via your Creative Cloud application.

Note that the Photoshop CC (2014) is not a direct update to your existing Photoshop CC installation, but rather a separate application to install that can coexist with your existing Photoshop CC (and CS6) installations.

CC_06_18_2014.png

NOTE:  If you have a Windows 64 bit system, the 32 bit Photoshop CC (2014) is no longer installed via the Creative Cloud application.  However, you may want to download and install it separately in order to be able to continue to use older 32 bit-only plug-ins.  If that's the case, you can find a separate installer for 32 bit Photoshop CC (2014) here:

Adobe - Photoshop : For Windows

-Noel

• 1. Re: New Software Available via your Creative Cloud Application
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Yes however as soon as the Photoshop15 7  Zip file was extracted it was deleted before I could clone it. So I now do not have a stand alone installer for Photoshop version 15.  About Photoshop shows version 2014.0.0  only a 64Bit version was installed.  I have only run one  script and  edited my  Photoshop preferences.  It migrated my presets not my preference. Adobe still defaults interpolation to Bicubic Automatic which is a bad default.  Other setting also need to be made for scratch space a display resolution. There is a new experimental preference Tab that you get access denied from Adobe web site when you try the get more info button in it. There seem to be touch support for Windows 8 OS users  and UI scaling 200% for high resolution displays for windows users. Both Platform so 3D Printing update. The Adjustment panel still has the bad option that can cause Photoshop operation to be inconsistent. The Adobe learn and support site is locked down in maintenance.

However I now have a version of Photoshop install that has never crashed on me.  How long will the stat that way???

Capture.jpg

• 2. Re: New Software Available via your Creative Cloud Application
            Noel Carboni Level 8

You have been assimilated. 

Note the link I posted in the first post in this thread for the 32 bit installer.

-Noel

• 3. Re: New Software Available via your Creative Cloud Application

Have you been able to find the download for the 64bit version I downloaded the 32bit installer but would like to download the 64bit installer.

One thing that surprised me I have a solid crash in Photoshop if I click on the Behance share icon in IMSLib.dll.  IMSLib.dll will also crash if I try to download something using Photoshop extension Exchange.

With CC 2014  the Behance share icon button works.  However all the standard  Photoshop CC default extensions were not installed.  No Mini Bridge, No Exchange and No  Kuler so I can not test Exchange.

So Far CC 2014 seems to work but is missing the standard extensions.

Capture.jpg

Bad Hair Day

• 4. Re: New Software Available via your Creative Cloud Application
                Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Well, I am not feeling very excited so far.   It's mostly improvements, and nothing much in the way of new features.  I'm pleased that they have opened up Typekit to all customers, and anyone who has not yet used it should check it out, but I already have TypeKit.  If this was a perpetual license upgrade, would you pay for it?   No.  Nor me.

BTW Noel, I switched on my computer this morning, and came to this thread, and clicked on your Desktop Application Manager graphic.  At the same time I opened my Desktop Application Manager, and somehow ended up back on this page.  So I then spent a confused few seconds trying to launch things from your graphic!!!   Silly bugger.   I am not flash first thing in the morning though. ;-(

Photoshop 2014 is now up to 17%.  The excitement is....    missing    I hope it installs before my Chris gets up and wants to use Ancestry, or I'll be in trouble for nicking all the bandwidth.  Ancestry has been out with a DoS attack for the last two days, and she is frantic to finish a book before we go on our trip.

...21%...

• 5. Re: New Software Available via your Creative Cloud Application
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

JJMack wrote:

Bad Hair Day

Personally I was kind of thinking "Chiropractic Problems" myself because of her curved back. 

No, I don't know of a link to a standalone 64 bit installer.

I haven't tried to use Behance (nor do I plan to), but for me the release is solidly reliable.

-Noel

• 6. Re: New Software Available via your Creative Cloud Application

Look like Exchange is no longer an extension and is replaced by Help>Btowse Addons.

Mini Bridge is no longer an extension and is now replaced be men File>Browse in Bridge....

Also Also Adobe extension manager  is accessed from CC 2014 from menu Help>Manage Extensions however I have seen a report the extension manager does not reconcile cc 2014 just does CC 32 an CC 64

• 7. Re: New Software Available via your Creative Cloud Application
                      CatieMina

Why a separate version of Photoshop? Why weren't the June changes folded into Photoshop CC, or am I missing something???

After opening Photoshop CC (2014) and updating my presets, I noticed my preferences were not carried forward. Neither were my Nik plug-ins. Please explain Adobe's rationale (there must be one) for my now having 2 versions of Photoshop on my computer.

And when I clicked on Bridge's "what's new" link in Creative Cloud app, nothing happened (works for Photoshop).  Confusion reigns....

• 8. Re: New Software Available via your Creative Cloud Application
                        TheBigTog

So SHOULD we uninstall Photoshop CC and keep PS 2014?  Or is that a bad idea?  I don't see the point of keeping two similar versions of Photoshop installed.

• 9. Re: New Software Available via your Creative Cloud Application
                          Noel Carboni Level 8

thebigtog wrote:

So SHOULD we uninstall Photoshop CC and keep PS 2014?

No one can really answer that but yourself.  Some things don't work (have been deprecated) and others might not work on your system.  And while preferences and workspaces are migrated, plug-ins are not.

Me, I'd suggest keeping 'em both around, at least for a while.  You'll want time to be sure everything's functional and as good as what you had before.

But I'm a bit on the fringe - I actually have 8 different versions of Photoshop installed myself.  It helps to have them all when helping out here on the forum.

Yes, I realize it takes up a lot of disk space.  Disk space is cheap.

-Noel

• 10. Re: New Software Available via your Creative Cloud Application
                            TheBigTog Level 1

That sounds like a good idea.  I just gotta make sure that my plugins and my Lightroom-to-Photoshop flow work the way I want it before deciding to chuck the older CC version.  Thanks!

• 11. Re: New Software Available via your Creative Cloud Application
                              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

This is one update where I wouldn't dream of uninstalling the old version.   Least ways not for a very long time, if ever.  I believe one of the reasons it is installed as a separate version is that some things are coded differently — especially around extensions.

• 12. Re: New Software Available via your Creative Cloud Application
                                bigiggy

I'm with you. Why weren't the "improvements" blended into our existing installation of CC?  Now we must re-locate, re load, re configure all of our plug ins, extensions, etc.  As paying monthly subscribers, you'd think we could get a straight answer instead of some marble mouthed rationalization that "disk space is cheap" .

• 13. Re: New Software Available via your Creative Cloud Application
                                  Noel Carboni Level 8

I don't know what "marble mouthed" means, but I'm just another Photoshop user like you.  If it was an insult, I can't imagine why you'd want to insult someone who's trying to help you understand what's going on.

Regarding why...  The emerging story seems to be that since there are several things that Photoshop CC (2014) doesn't do that it's predecessor did, Adobe wanted to make sure they didn't leave you high and dry without that functionality.

-Noel

• 14. Re: New Software Available via your Creative Cloud Application
                                    D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

JJMack wrote:

Capture.jpg

Bad Hair Day

I can't help it, but I think that is an incredibly failed photograph. It looks as if she slowly bent her knees and head until the photographer shouted "hold it right there", and started fiddling with the dials on the camera. You can almost see her legs shaking. Why didn't he lift the camera instead?

No grace whatsoever, just a brutally uncomfortable pose. The "hair extension" just becomes a gimmick.

OK, I feel better now. Just had to get it off my chest. Luckily my systems are SSD based, so I don't see it for more than a second or two.

• 15. Re: New Software Available via your Creative Cloud Application
                                      bigiggy Level 1

Sorry, Noel. You are so knowledgable I assumed you were with Adobe which would have made the observation a bit callous.  But since you're onto the same exhaust pipe as the rest of us, I can appreciate the sarcasm.  Pardon my brusqueness today but I had just finished filling out the Adobe Market Survey and didn't realize how miffed I was with being herded into the Cloud corral.  Meanwhile, since thinking it over...here's my best wish scenario and something Adobe really SHOULD do.

Ready?  Here goes.  Let's say every 18 months - 24 months, rather than upgrading the existing pay as you go version, Adobe launches a newly independent version (i.e. CC 2014) and gracefully declares the older version on your hard drive to be yours.  So if you elect to suspend your subscription, you don't revert back to an ancient  PS3,4,5....you still retain rights you earned by renting the newer version.  That's a business model I think many would be extremely comfortable with.  What do you think?

• 17. Re: New Software Available via your Creative Cloud Application
                                        Noel Carboni Level 8

No problem, apology accepted.

The Adobe folks are labeled "staff" just under their avatars.

-Noel

• 18. Re: New Software Available via your Creative Cloud Application
                                          ProDesignTools MVP & Adobe Community Professional

catiemina wrote:

Why a separate version of Photoshop? Why weren't the June changes folded into Photoshop CC, or am I missing something???

Well it's more work to migrate over – but as JJMack mentioned, there were significant structural and compatibility changes under the hood in Photoshop that made creating a separate new milestone release what Adobe thought was best and most flexible, and which is what they have always done in the past as Noel pointed out...  Some features were also dropped, never to be seen again.  More details here:

Photoshop: Spring Cleaning | PHOTOSHOP.COM BLOG

So you can continue to use both versions while the transition is made, and/or even if you uninstall the prior release now, you can always go back in the CC archive to reaccess it if/when necessary.