8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2014 5:34 PM by Pragya Kandari

CC 2014 - Install NOT Update?

NightSkyGuy Level 1

The long rumored CC-Next seems to be here. It's called "CC (2014)" just to confuse matters more than they are already confused since internally Photoshop CC is actually version 14.2.1

Anyway, the dialog scares me. How do I convince Adobe to leave Photoshop CC (aka 14) alone and install a NEW instance of Photoshop - since we know CC (2014) will break all flash based panels?

lJsgW5M.png

• 1. Re: CC 2014 - Install NOT Update?
          Noel Carboni Level 8

They're two separate line items in the Creative Cloud application.  That's key.

I would have also thought it ought to say [Install] instead of [Update], but perhaps it wouldn't have shown up in the top section if it was listed as a new install, and people might miss it down buried amongst the others.

If you press the [Update] button it will deliver a separate install and your current Photoshop CC installation will remain intact and coexist.

-Noel

• 2. Re: CC 2014 - Install NOT Update?
            Noel Carboni Level 8

Oh, and please note also that the installation of a 32 bit variant on Windows x64 systems is no longer automatically included.  That's a separate download/install.  This may be important to you if you're using 32 bit plug-ins.

Look here for that download link:

Windows - Adobe - Photoshop : For Windows

Mac - Adobe - Photoshop : For Macintosh

-Noel

• 3. Re: CC 2014 - Install NOT Update?
              NightSkyGuy Level 1

Noel Carboni Thanks  Noel.  I'm a big fan of your Astronomy Tools Actions... it's what inspired me to write my Stacking stuff.

I figured Adobe took "creative license" with the word UPDATE.  But it worried me a bit more when it told me to close Photoshop CC.

9uibein.png

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that "migration" actually seems to have worked including bringing in my existing Actions, and the one extension that is already HTML5 that I had loaded.  Previously migration brought very little forward to the next version.

• 4. Re: CC 2014 - Install NOT Update?
                Noel Carboni Level 8

That pop-up dialog would have worried me too.  I imagine they just wanted to make sure to migrate the very latest preferences you may have set.

Glad to hear you like my software. 

-Noel

• 5. Re: CC 2014 - Install NOT Update?
                  NightSkyGuy Level 1

Shocked and surprised to discover that it auto-installed in

C:\Tools\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014

And that the Actions it migrated were moved to

C:\Tools\Adobe\Actions

I guess my installer will now need updating.

Anyone have a clue why it chose "Tools"?  Is it something on my system?  I did install the "CreativeCloudCleaner Tool" there...

• 6. Re: CC 2014 - Install NOT Update?
                    Noel Carboni Level 8

No \Tools folder in sight here.  Might be something specific about your system - it installed in this location for me:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014

Actions are not migrated discretely, they're kept in the file

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 Settings\Actions Palette.psp

-Noel

• 7. Re: CC 2014 - Install NOT Update?
                      Noel Carboni Level 8

Regarding where to install things, my own plug-in installers read the following registry values to determine where Photoshop CC 2014 is installed:

HKLM \ SOFTWARE \ Adobe \ Photoshop \ 80.0 \ ApplicationPath

HKLM \ SOFTWARE \ Adobe \ Photoshop \ 80.0 \ PluginPath

-Noel

• 8. Re: CC 2014 - Install NOT Update?
                        Pragya Kandari Adobe Employee

HI,

The install location is selected as per your creative cloud preferences.

You can change the install location from the preferences to install products at different location.

By default 'C:\Program Files\Adobe\' is where 64 Bit Photoshop gets installed.

-Pragya