1 2 Previous Next 48 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2014 5:11 AM by Jlaurrieta

Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?

BernardDigital Level 2

I thought this was exactly what creative cloud was not supposed to do!!!! This is so frustrating!!!!

I now have duplicate copy's of each app and I have to go through and manually un-install all the old CC version for the new 2014 CC version... I have to install all my plugins and add-ons again!!!! Such a hassle!!!!

Way to ruin the CC update... You screwed up your branding because now it says CC 2014... You should have just left it CC and just had it be an update like it is with any other update... I thought the whole point was that if you had adobe CC you had the latest software version... now I have CC and CC 2014 WTF?????? way to segment your versions!!!! How is this any different from CS5 to CS6 back in the old days?????

Epic Fail Adobe!!!! Epic Fail!!!

• 1. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are things like maybe Flash that won’t work in the newer CC 2014, so they allow people to run both side-by-side in case they want to use older things.

• 2. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
            brandall88 Level 1

I believe they did this because some things are changing with the apps that might break compatibility. For instance, the Photoshop CC 2014 plugin API is changing to an HTML5 based one, so older plugins won't work. So they release the new versions separate so you don't lose the old versions. So if you're working on older projects, but want to use the new apps, you can still do it.

I'm guessing that after the smoke clears, the "2014" in the name will go away. Though I'm ONLY guessing.

Brent

• 3. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
              jamie.dunmore Level 1

Yep, bit of a mess. So now I have to go and uninstall all the old stuff. Useful.

• 4. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                brandall88 Level 1

Not really a mess. Adobe isn't the first company to do things like that. It happens all the time. If they changed some core functionality that might break compatibility with old projects, and then you accidentally installed and lost that compatibility, you would probably be more upset, no?

If they are changing the functionality to be more efficient(which in the case of PS plugins, I believe that is the reasoning behind it), that's a good thing. But if they told people they had to choose between trying out the new functionality or working on their own projects, people would be furious.

It's a minor inconvenience at best, really.

Brent

• 5. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                  Damon Edwards Level 3

Couldn't agree more, this is horrible UX. They're presented as Updates in CC first and foremost, of which they are not updates. Updates do not install an entirely new application along side an existing - and in a case where it would it would warn you. Our CC Team will not be 'updating', if you can even call it that, until these are singular apps again. Our team has purpose configured machines with smaller SSDs, all storage is network based, so we can't have our users installing unnecessary gigabytes of applications. The whole point of CC was to unify this so you didn't need a different app for every year Adobe decided update its suite. Stupid.

• 6. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                    C-Wave Level 1

Seems like a bit of a mess to me.  I guess that it all depends on your definition of "minor inconvenience".

With today's update, I now have a grayed out extensions menu, and no longer have access to Coolorus 2, GuideGuide, or my custom toolbar that I made with Adobe Configurator 4.  When I go to the Extensions Manager, it only shows Photoshop CC (not 2014), and says that everything is already installed.

• 7. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                      smb8282 Level 1

So you get to set up all your tool panels from scratch again. Everyone loves that, right?

• 8. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                        C-Wave Level 1

Yeah, it moved my existing workspaces over, but with big holes in the UI on my second screen of palettes, which defeats much of the purpose of the migration.  Perhaps running this all past a beta tester or two would have been a good idea.

PS:  It looks like we also need to start over with preferences, too.  And every time I change a setting in the print window, it reverts to "Show Paper White".  On the plus side, "Paper White" is now peach instead of pink.  LOL

• 9. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                          XSIVE1

Adobe should have communicated that this would or could happen and how to resolve it.

• 10. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                            brandall88 Level 1

C-Wave, Did you read what I said above? The plugin system in the new Photoshop has changed, meaning that old extensions WILL NOT WORK until they are updated by the plugin developer. This is why they give you two separate versions.

The plugins are still installed, and will work with the previous(non-2014) version of PS. But they aren't compatible with the new version, which uses the new HTML5-based plugin architecture.

I'm not saying it's ideal to have to redo some of these things. But how else would you suggest they handle a change like that? Got any ideas? The way they did it is pretty standard.

Don't get me wrong. I have plugins that will need updating as well. But I'm really curious how they could have done it differently with a core change like that, without ticking off SOMEBODY along the way?

Brent

• 11. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                              tomcog

At some point you begin to wonder if maybe Adobe is just f*cking with us. Perhaps this is their way of truly testing customer loyalty. Maybe they only want to keep the most dedicated (trapped) users. Those customers who are never going to ask themselves, "I'm supposed to pay each and every month for these apps - for the rest of my working life - why?"

And if it's true that this is such a radical change to the way the apps function that it would have "broken" things to update the existing apps rather than install new versions...don't you think that just maybe that would call for a bit of a head's up - prior to prompting customers to simply click on the shiny "update" button?

Why do I have Adobe helper apps running at all times and an icon forever in my system menu bar if Adobe isn't going to use those pathways to communicate important information?

• 12. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                brandall88 Level 1

I would agree with these questions. I'm not sure why they haven't communicated these changes. They absolutely should have.

Keep in mind that my reasoning is based on news from a well-known plugin developer, and NOT from Adobe. If they have a better reason, or whatever, hopefully they will post it here. But I know from the plugin developer that plugins need rewritten for the new version.

Brent

• 13. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                  [scott] Level 6

Chiming in to agree. Adobe clearly stated that there wouldn't ever be "new versions" of the apps themselves. That everything was going to always update CC apps. In fact, this was their argument for not having ANY exit strategy for the CC model.

Now... I've for CC and CC 2014 apps side by side.. so why can't I cancel my subscription and keep the CC apps as a perpetually licensed product?

Today's update slaps Adobe in the face for everything they stated when the perpetual licenses were removed as an option. Only, instead of CS7 and CS8, we have CC and CC 2014. All they've done is change the product names and made delivery a 12+GB event EVERY TIME. Why can't I download the 12+GB ONCE and store those disk images or burn them to DVDs so I am not required to download another 12+GB if there's a problem??

Yeah I had to redownload again this morning due to system issues. It's frankly ridiculous unless Adobe starts paying for the bandwidth I'm forced to use.

GIVE ME DVDS OR A THUMB DRIVE WITH A PERPETUAL LICENSE!

• 14. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                    daxmacrog Level 1

I agree with every word of BernardDigital’s post. Thank you for saving me the time of typing it all out because I’m currently busy opening up CC-Classic apps so that I can manually copy over all my settings and customizations to CC-New apps. Then I’ll need to go through and uninstall all the redundant apps. I can’t see any advantage to keeping both sets on my system since, despite the fanfare over iPad apps, the CC-New desktop apps are pretty much the same beyond the new splash screens.

I would much rather have gotten a "minor" release (with a painless update) that addresses serious bugs such as this one: Re: Creative Cloud is always listed under "Apps Using Significant Energy" in OSX Mavericks

Or do more than knock a few small items off of this list of Premiere Pro gripes: Adobe Premiere Pro CC Gripes and Wish List :: Packafoma Post

(Okay, so that happens to be my list of Premiere Pro gripes, but nonetheless)

I’m mostly frustrated because I have been defending the subscription model from the start. I’ve been disappointed by the trickle of bug fixes, and now I realize it's basically the same release model as Creative Suite except that it costs more and includes confusing version names.

If I have to install all new software, couldn’t Adobe at least begin to streamline their apps with consistent interfaces? Premiere and After Effects still use entirely different sets up keyboard shortcuts for common tasks. SpeedGrade’s interface exists in a world of its own. Dreamweaver looks and behaves pretty much exactly the same as it did when it was Macromedia Dreamweaver (which is not a good thing). And why is Lightroom called Lightroom 5.5 even though it’s available through Creative Cloud?

Sorry, I’m rambling and I need to get back installing Adobe CS8.

Edit: I should also mention this:

Screen Shot 2014-06-18 at 5.42.10 PM.png

Premiere and Dreamweaver are both failing to sync settings from Creative Cloud. Photoshop appeared to sync but then I discovered that some settings were missing, including all of my export presets.

• 15. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                      BernardDigital Level 2

I could not agree with you more @[scott] I remember being at NAB in 2012 when they unveiled CC... Everyone was shocked and thought it was crazy but as the dust settled everyone realized that maybe this would be cool... I never have to uninstall and upgrade again and its only 50 bucks a month and I get every adobe program... That was the main sales pitch!

But this CC 2014 is the biggest slap in the face ever! Why was there no CC 2013??? CC was launched in 2012!!!! There is absolute zero difference between this and the CS business model yet we lost the ability to buy the software out right.... And it was very sneaky how the creative cloud had them listed as updates and then straight up installed along side software... I have always loved adobe software but this is business and I give them money to deliver on what they say... Not to be tricked and let them do whatever they want... I am building my business around their tool set... This will cause hours of extra work as we fix all this over here... I want to be re-paid for this extra work that adobe created for my by not honoring their original CC model...

@brandall88 why is it adobe's responsibility to have their update path disrupted because some plugins from third parties won't work? There are full beta's of this software that go out months before anything is released and the plugin developers have access to these to test their plugins and make sure they will be compatible... Why is it the end users that have to deal with all this at launch? We are paying these guys this is their job... Don't make excuses for poor planing whether its adobe or third parties... And there is no difference between a slightly updated app and a completely re-written from the ground up app... Yes certain plugin's might not work in the new app so duh... don't update... simple... But I have had plugin fail from minor updates mid product cycle too... So this is a mute point... Adobe is trying to use this to keep the wool over our eyes...

@tomcogIf I was not so deep into adobe I would want to leave over this!!!! So much wool pulled over our eyes!!! Please please please Adobe make this right!!!! Don't efff with us!!!! A lot of us don't have much money are freelance designers... I honestly hate this new corporate world we live in... its so sad...

I am un-installing CC 2014 until this begins to get sorted out!!! Epic Fail Adobe!!!

• 16. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                        brandall88 Level 1

BernardDigital wrote:

@brandall88 why is it adobe's responsibility to have their update path disrupted because some plugins from third parties won't work? There are full beta's of this software that go out months before anything is released and the plugin developers have access to these to test their plugins and make sure they will be compatible... Why is it the end users that have to deal with all this at launch? We are paying these guys this is their job... Don't make excuses for poor planing whether its adobe or third parties... And there is no difference between a slightly updated app and a completely re-written from the ground up app... Yes certain plugin's might not work in the new app so duh... don't update... simple... But I have had plugin fail from minor updates mid product cycle too... So this is a mute point... Adobe is trying to use this to keep the wool over our eyes...

First, it should be noted that plugin developers HAVE had access to the new architecture and are already working on updates. Some of them are very close. So Adobe has made it available to plugin devs. I am not one, so I can't say for how long, but I know for a fact that the devs are not just now getting their hands on it.

And end users have to deal with stuff like this all the time. It happens in many different software industries. If you think Adobe is the only one to ever handle it this way, you're crazy.

So let's go through a couple of scenarios, and you tell me which one would be a "win" for both Adobe AND the users:

Scenario 1: Adobe decides to update apps with the new architecture, and all future updates, including bug fixes, will have to go through that one version of the app. No old "version" to use on your current projects. If you want to experience any of the new features, you have to sacrifice work you've done previously that involved plugins until each dev catches up. You can't use any of your old plugins. Users get mad, storm the forums, you know the drill.

Scenario 2: Adobe lets you keep the old version around so you can continue to work on your current projects until the plugin developers catch up. But they also allow you to play with the new features and integrate the new power into projects that don't require external plugins. Users get it both ways, but a vocal minority still comes to whine on the forums.

Scenario 3: Please tell me which scenario this is. Please tell me how the users win.

It's not uncommon to update core functionality of a program and give the user the ability to run both the old and the new side by side. It's extremely common in the professional software world. Of course, if you only hang out on the forums for a company, you might think it's the biggest mistake the company ever made. I mean, heaven forbid Adobe make you have two versions installed and let the user have options! Somebody call the media!

I really just can't be bothered too much by it. It's such a small thing to get so upset about in my opinion. Sure, it's an inconvenience, no doubt about it. But you would think Adobe reached in your pocket and stole your jewelry with how upset some people get around here.

The simple truth is that Adobe can't win with it's users. Most people who complain(which likely make up the vocal minority) aren't going to be happy, no matter what.

I think Adobe are boneheads to not TELL people why there are two versions. Honestly, I only stumbled upon the information when I got an email from a plugin developer this morning. Adobe NEEDS to clarify this publicly and explain their reasons behind it all. But they most certainly aren't doing anything evil by giving users a choice.

It's sad too because many of the new features are HUGE workflow improvements and very nice to have. And in the non-forum world, loads of people are happy about it.

I know it would be easy to just say I'm drinking the Kool-aid and getting the wool pulled over my eyes, but the truth is I just refuse to get so upset about such small things. I'm a happy CC user, yes. Things haven't been perfect though, and I know that. It's not the perfect model to use, I agree. They have screwed some things up badly at times. But this? This is so small and petty. Not a major issue to have two versions installed.

Brent

• 17. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                          BernardDigital Level 2

@brandall88 Your a troll... you say things like people reached into your pockets and stole jewelry or quick someone call the media... Everyone gets so upset and races to the forum... Well where else do you go? Get off this thread you obviously do not know what your talking about... Keep the conversation to the point...

Adobe promised three things in 2012... No more upgrades or installs for future version 50 dollars a month and access to all apps... in 2013 they held their promise... in 2014 they lied... plain and simple...

Computers are not complicated... It is seriously just a set of instructions... Thats it... just a list of instructions... so whether is a CS3 or CS6 or CC project file the only difference is the instructions can be in a different order... So the project file might need to be updated before loading into the newest CC version of software and a CS6 programs can not understand instructions from programs in CC or later but this is all normal...

So I don't know the answer for the best way to make updates like this... but I can tell you a really bad way to do it would be the way you did it in the past and told costumers you would not be doing that again... and a good way would be to maybe make a plugin for older CC apps CS6 apps CS5 apps CS3 apps that you can install to read and load newer project files... and then hey you get to announce the new CC is backwards compatible with all versions of CS and CC instead of you need two version installed... Then simply gray out the additional features that might have been applied... So if you open a new CC project and stabilize some footage with warp stabilizer and then save the program and quit... Then open that CC project in CS6... it would apply the warp stabilizer thats in CS6 (which might not be as good, and might need to reanalyze)... And if you tried to open it in CS4 it would show that effect had been applied there but that effect is not apart of that version and can not be used...

Users never win and I am bummed out to have my applications folder just look like an absolute mess with adobe programs...

• 18. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                            gaurav arora01

I think you are right but its not clear yet. There is still some doubt about it.

• 19. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                              S_Gans Adobe Community Professional

I have to say - I'm THRILLED that the new versions exist side-by-side with the old versions. Firstly - I do have quite a few plugins and I love the fact that I have the option to continue to use them. Also, I'm unsure if the plugin developers are going to charge for THEIR upgraded versions, and I couldn't come up with all that money all at once to be able to use them on the 2014 version. Secondly, it was stated at previous Adobe MAX conferences that there'd be a "version" break on an annual basis - mostly so people like courseware (book and lesson) writers would have a point of reference. Also, as a teacher of these programs - I wasn't sure I could upgrade, because I have to teach next week and couldn't know if my students had upgraded. I teach for many different schools and centers, I NEED to have updated courseware to teach new features (so they can learn after I teach them MY way), and this way I can wait until the books catch up, but learn all the new features and use them in my personal work. I currently have versions CS5.5 through CC on this machine - and as of tomorrow, will have CC 2014 on it. On my older computer, I have versions going back to CS3. People still want to learn old versions, and I'm happy I'll get to teach them.-

So - although I'm in an apparent minority, I'm grateful they did this. Would've been nice if they'd given people the option though.....

• 20. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                                brandall88 Level 1

BernardDigital wrote:

@brandall88 Your a troll... you say things like people reached into your pockets and stole jewelry or quick someone call the media... Everyone gets so upset and races to the forum... Well where else do you go? Get off this thread you obviously do not know what your talking about... Keep the conversation to the point...

That's original. If somebody doesn't agree with you, just call them a troll and say they don't know what they are talking about........haven't heard THAT one before. I appreciate the instructions to get off the thread and what I should talk about(which just happens to be on topic). I mean, here I thought I was allowed to be here. Sorry to offend the anti-Adobe mob.

Actually, I'm not sorry. But it sounded kind to say for a moment.

So you don't have a good solution to the problem I was addressing? Are we clear on that? And since you don't, you resort to personal attacks?

I'm glad we cleared that all up. Thanks for such an intelligent conversation.

Brent

• 21. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                                  brandall88 Level 1

S_Gans wrote:

I have to say - I'm THRILLED that the new versions exist side-by-side with the old versions. Firstly - I do have quite a few plugins and I love the fact that I have the option to continue to use them. Also, I'm unsure if the plugin developers are going to charge for THEIR upgraded versions, and I couldn't come up with all that money all at once to be able to use them on the 2014 version. Secondly, it was stated at previous Adobe MAX conferences that there'd be a "version" break on an annual basis - mostly so people like courseware (book and lesson) writers would have a point of reference. Also, as a teacher of these programs - I wasn't sure I could upgrade, because I have to teach next week and couldn't know if my students had upgraded. I teach for many different schools and centers, I NEED to have updated courseware to teach new features (so they can learn after I teach them MY way), and this way I can wait until the books catch up, but learn all the new features and use them in my personal work. I currently have versions CS5.5 through CC on this machine - and as of tomorrow, will have CC 2014 on it. On my older computer, I have versions going back to CS3. People still want to learn old versions, and I'm happy I'll get to teach them.-

So - although I'm in an apparent minority, I'm grateful they did this. Would've been nice if they'd given people the option though.....

Don't worry, you're not in the minority. You're just in the forums where angry customers tend to hang out(it's the same with all software, not just Adobe).

And please, let's not introduce any logic or alternative views into the conversation. You wouldn't want to upset the forum police for being out of line.

And shhhhhhh, don't remind anyone that Adobe did in fact announce that there would be these yearly 'breaks' for the sake of plugin compatibility reports and courseware reference. That doesn't line up with their argument, so it's not allowed here.

This isn't the first time that people had to have multiple versions of Adobe products on their machine to ensure compatibility. Before CC, I had at least two versions of CS at all times because some plugins weren't compatible with newer versions, I still had to work with people who hadn't upgraded, etc. It's just all of a sudden some evil ploy to screw customers by giving them the option of using their plugins while also being able to upgrade. Really, Adobe could have given the next year of CC for free to everyone and some people here would probably find a reason to be upset about it. That's just the nature of the game. Again, I wouldn't let things fool you. There are plenty of people who are just fine with these changes.

Have a nice day.

Brent

• 22. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                                    ELFrederick

While I wouldn't categorize it as an epic fail. I too was frustrated by the program installing new copies instead of updates. Had the Creative Cloud App labelled it as an "Install" and not an "Update" I wouldn't have anything to complain about.

However I will say that it makes perfect sense if you are going to be causing issues with older plugins to allow for the older apps to continue to work without negating people who have several hundred or more dollars invested in plugins.

For me it was just a minor issue of hard drive space as the SSD I have my OS and Apps on isn't very large. No big deal, and I see it as a minor quibble.

• 23. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                                      brandall88 Level 1

ELFrederick wrote:

While I wouldn't categorize it as an epic fail. I too was frustrated by the program installing new copies instead of updates. Had the Creative Cloud App labelled it as an "Install" and not an "Update" I wouldn't have anything to complain about.

However I will say that it makes perfect sense if you are going to be causing issues with older plugins to allow for the older apps to continue to work without negating people who have several hundred or more dollars invested in plugins.

For me it was just a minor issue of hard drive space as the SSD I have my OS and Apps on isn't very large. No big deal, and I see it as a minor quibble.

I can agree with all this. I think Adobe messed a couple of things up. First, they didn't explain why there were two versions. It seems that most people aren't aware that the plugin architecture has even changed. That's unfortunate on Adobe's part because they are to blame for the confusion, and they could have addressed it from the start.

I have no idea why they would label both versions as "updates" when one is indeed NOT an update(though technically, it is, but the fact that it installs separately changes things).

Hard drive space is definitely an issue, especially for people using SSD drives. For me, I have plenty of HD space so it's not an issue. Though admittedly, I uninstalled many of the old versions that I didn't use plugins with as much. But I can see it being an issue regardless.

Brent

• 24. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                                        Jeff Sydor

This is just what aggravates me about this whole thing, now i have all these duplicates in my launchpad...

Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 11.21.02 AM.png

orig-2166271.jpg

• 25. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                                          ELFrederick Level 1

brandall88 wrote:

First, they didn't explain why there were two versions. It seems that most people aren't aware that the plugin architecture has even changed. That's unfortunate on Adobe's part because they are to blame for the confusion, and they could have addressed it from the start.

I can't argue with that. They could have easily taken five minutes out of the two hour launch event and said something about it being new apps. They also could have explained about the plug-ins.

This could have been better presented. Even an mass email to the "2.4 million Creative Cloud" users would have been better than just surprising us with it.

• 26. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                                            brandall88 Level 1

ELFrederick wrote:

brandall88 wrote:

First, they didn't explain why there were two versions. It seems that most people aren't aware that the plugin architecture has even changed. That's unfortunate on Adobe's part because they are to blame for the confusion, and they could have addressed it from the start.

I can't argue with that. They could have easily taken five minutes out of the two hour launch event and said something about it being new apps. They also could have explained about the plug-ins.

This could have been better presented. Even an mass email to the "2.4 million Creative Cloud" users would have been better than just surprising us with it.

100% agreed. They lose nothing by letting people know and not relying on a plugin developer to tell them. That's the only way that I knew. It's almost as if Adobe was afraid of backlash if they said something.

I will say that one improvement that I've already seen in the Extension Manager, which some people reported did not SEE the 2014 versions, has been updated and now seems to at least recognize them. Hopefully the plugin devs will work quickly to update plugins to be installed with it. I think some in the Exchange are already compatible, but don't quote me on that.

Brent

• 27. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                                              treisdorf

when I first opened my new download of CC2014 I got a screen to try or license the software.. I am already a cc member paying 9.95 a month.. I just clicked trial for now.. I downloaded everything using creative cloud so I thought it would automatically not require activation.. suggestions ? because when I clicked "license" it wanted me to repurchase my already paid for membership

thanks

• 28. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                                                brandall88 Level 1

treisdorf wrote:

when I first opened my new download of CC2014 I got a screen to try or license the software.. I am already a cc member paying 9.95 a month.. I just clicked trial for now.. I downloaded everything using creative cloud so I thought it would automatically not require activation.. suggestions ? because when I clicked "license" it wanted me to repurchase my already paid for membership

thanks

I believe you have to do it when opening the software itself, though it sounds like it's not giving you the option to log in? I didn't have any problems with licensing personally, at least not in a few months(it used to log me out every day or two for some reason). But I'm pretty sure that it's supposed to let you enter your login details when you load the program, and it will then license it to your computer.

I think the reason for this is so you can try software without using up one of your active activations for it. Or if you aren't a subscriber, you can still download the CC application to use the demos with. So activation is done on the product level, not in the CC desktop application.

Does it give you an option to log in when you open Photoshop? Maybe there is some text you missed that said something like "Already bought? Click here to enter your info" (I don't know what it actually says, but make sure you aren't missing a prompt somewhere).

Brent

• 29. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                                                  neekslowry Level 1

If they weren't such Apple fan boys I gladly stop using a VM to run Adobe. We need a serious Linux alternative for creative professionals who work in corporate america.

• 30. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                                                    Jeff Sydor Level 1

Just because so many people use Apple to run the Adobe suite doesn't make us 'fanboys'.

Windows has always crashed on me when I was running it and I've never seen anyone use Linux outside of the IT crowd.

Until I see something better, I'll stick to the Mac. But I haven't been impressed by anything else in the last 10 years and don't expect to even in the next 5.

(i'll stop feeding the troll now)

• 31. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                                                      ELFrederick Level 1

neekslowry wrote:

If they weren't such Apple fan boys...

I refuse to use anything Apple. No iPhone, No iPod, No iPad, No, No, No

• 32. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                                                        neekslowry Level 1

@Jeff Sydor my response was actually a reply to tomcoug's post about Sketch3. I should have quoted him, but I figured clicking the reply button on the post would have "auto" taken care of that.

Any UNIX system is better than Windows, IMO (That's why I have a Mac running in a VM and have a Mackbook Pro). However I use Arch Linux with GNOME DE as my primary OS. I was not trying to be troll, just stating I don't see the benefit of Sketch3 developers building their app on top of a proprietary UNIX system; it doesn't distinguish them in any way from Adobe.

*Sidebar: Apple "borrowed/stole/was inspired" by GNOME's/GTKs headerbar direction for Yosemite; it's undeniable. I love the theming in Linux DEs (SVG icons as opposed to icns), I love the fact that my shell is written in Javascript and I can write custom scripts on the fly that can totally change my OS's ui/ux (applescript will allow js now right?). Screenshots of a non IT(I am a developer though) desktop:

Screenshot%20from%202014-05-29%2014%3A29%3A56.png

Screenshot%20from%202014-05-29%2014%3A30%3A20.png

• 33. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                                                          Jeff Sydor Level 1

LOL my bad

but isn't a gnome a type of troll though? lol

• 34. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                                                            brandall88 Level 1

Jeff Sydor wrote:

Just because so many people use Apple to run the Adobe suite doesn't make us 'fanboys'.

Windows has always crashed on me when I was running it and I've never seen anyone use Linux outside of the IT crowd.

Until I see something better, I'll stick to the Mac. But I haven't been impressed by anything else in the last 10 years and don't expect to even in the next 5.

Different strokes and all, I'm a PC user who hasn't had any real stability problems on Windows with Adobe apps. At least no more than the Macs I've owned and used. I just couldn't ever come to prefer the Mac. Just goes to show that every experience is different and it's 100% about user preference. There is no "better", really, but I'll be honest, Linux is not the answer.

Brent

• 35. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                                                              neekslowry Level 1

There is no "better", really, but I'll be honest, Linux is not the answer.

Brent

Such a good answer up until this point; will you please elaborate? Why is an open-platform not the answer? You validate a company that's only real contribution to computing was transforming the vertical business model of the 80s, in which OEMs packaged software/hardware, to a detached horizontal business model. Once they struck gold in the 90s with enterprise, they've hampered a lot of the forward-moving technologies w their proprietary substitutes.

• 36. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                                                                brandall88 Level 1

neekslowry wrote:

There is no "better", really, but I'll be honest, Linux is not the answer.

Brent

Such a good answer up until this point; will you please elaborate? Why is an open-platform not the answer? You validate a company that's only real contribution to computing was transforming the vertical business model of the 80s, in which OEMs packaged software/hardware, to a detached horizontal business model. Once they struck gold in the 90s with enterprise, they've hampered a lot of the forward-moving technologies w their proprietary substitutes.

I'm not saying Linux is a BAD operating system. I've used plenty of distros over the years myself for minor stuff. I like the platform.

But in terms of it being a better platform for the masses, it is not. Even with the current state of user interfaces within Linux, it's just not positioned to become a viable option for the normal user. It's still too "geeky" for most people, and isn't as user friendly as Windows or Mac. In addition, there is zero standardization in the Linux distro market, which means that getting the normal user on board will be near impossible.

People who use Linux may not want to admit that it's not ready for mainstream, but it's the truth. People have been saying for how many years now that Linux is going to make a run at Windows and Mac? But there is a reason it has gained almost no ground, and it isn't just because of the money spent on advertising for Microsoft and Apple. The typical user, even the typical power user, just doesn't want to fuss with the extra work involved with TRULY taking advantage of Linux. This is why most commercial developers also don't jump to it.

Open source is fantastic. I'm a huge supporter of it. But even as somebody who DOES understand Linux, I prefer Windows and even OSX because of the standardization and support involved. And for a mainstream audience, Linux in it's current form will never be a viable option for people.

Again, this is less about what is "better", and more about what is viable. I have nothing against Linux, open source or any other concepts involved.

Brent

• 37. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                                                                  Sandy694 Level 1

How should they handle it? WARN US FIRST! Don't call it an update when it isn't an update! PS isn't the only affected program. It happened with every program. That is a lot of lost HD space due to duplications.

• 38. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                                                                    treisdorf Level 1

no.. when I open photoshop it already shows me as logged in.. its like my account is broken or something.. I have to contact customer support to fix it..

thanks

• 39. Re: Why is everything new apps in 2014 update?
                                                                                      the_dudes Level 1

Please stay on the threads topic.

1 2 Previous Next