1 2 3 Previous Next 228 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2016 10:51 AM by Derjis

Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?

NHFiberon Level 1

I love the idea of a mobile digital sketch pad but I don't own anything other than Android products. Are Android users going to have to bite the bullet and buy a tablet they don't want for a program they do or, will there be a light at the end of this tunnel with apps for everyone to fully enjoy?

• 1. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
          ParsecAvenue Level 1

I agree, I would love to use all the mobile apps from Adobe, but all my devices are Android-based and so are the devices of most people I work with. It is not simly the tablet itself, but switching from mobile OS and all related other apps is the actual problem for me. 

• 2. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
            Rohlstusk Level 1

This is a natural question of course and count me in for wanting an answer.

• 4. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
              William Eisley Adobe Employee

We're focused on making a great experience on iOS currently. When we decide to create Android versions, we'll post here!

Thanks,

Will Eisley

Product Manager

• 5. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                ParsecAvenue Level 1

Dear Will,

Thank you for your response. Would you be able to elaborate on some of the factors upon which your team's decision for Android apps depends?

Kind regards

Teus

• 6. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                  zorrillamonsoon

Can we make an online community and campaign around adobe finally giving support for android? Does one exist already? As life gets busier I really would like android based apps from adobe beyond Photoshop touch! Does adobe not care to cater to the entire creative community?! I am going crazy here!!! Adobe has billions and nothing can go toward R&D for android? What's the hold up!

• 7. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                    Csyl Level 1

Reminds me of the old days when almost no adobe support was provided for Windows. I guess there is still some at Adobe that look down on any non-Apple products.

Sad for creatives out there who cannot afford expensive Apple devices...

c.

• 8. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                      NHFiberon Level 1

I just don't like Apple. I feel they're over-priced and I don't like wasting money.

• 9. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                        jjames5150 Level 1

I find it especially ironic that Adobe has chosen to champion Apple in this field yet Steve Jobs was the one who made some really crappy comments about Adobe Flash and how terrible it was and how Adobe had really dropped the ball. And he would never allow flash on his platform. Adobe has alot of faithful users paying $50 a month for Creative Cloud who are PC and Android users. Its not a smart idea to crap on your clients. Frankly Will Eisleys answer seemed arrogant and not all that friendly to the Android community. He doesn't even say that they will make Android versions, just that when they "decide" to make them they will let us know. To me that's not a decision that's a must do. They should have had people working on Apple and Android roll outs from the beginning. It really sucks that I have to wait until they "decide" to accommodate Android or I have to give in and buy an incredibly over priced and horribly pretentious Apple product to have the convenience of mobile apps. Adobe is making a lot of cash off of us I'd think they might want to handle things a little better. Just my opinion.

• 11. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                          jjames5150 Level 1

Why would we want to buy a $3000 computer when we can have a much faster system for $1500? It makes no sense. I've tried to bring myself to buy an Apple product but time and time again I can't justify paying that much for what basically amounts to the operating system. They aren't made any better than a PC. I've worked on them over the years and they are far more difficult to fix or troubleshoot if there is a problem.

• 12. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                            Csyl Level 1

Personally I don't care iOS/Mac. They are nice physical devices, but expensive...

However I do feel that Adobe should support the important community of creative people working on Android devices, like they did on Windows....

c.

• 13. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                              jjames5150 Level 1

Thats exactly right. They found out PC users were just as dedicated to Adobe as Mac users, I guarantee the Android community (which far surpasses the Mac community at this point) is equally as eager and dedicated to Adobe as the IPhone/IPad set. Displays on Android tablets are just as good and in some cases better than the retina display. The hardware is completely capable of handling Adobe products. And knowing developers who develop on both Android and IOS platforms who say that Android is far easier (in spite of having to create for many devices) to develop for. It shouldn't be that difficult to do and only makes sense. Don't alienate your users Adobe. You did that in the past and it never served you well.

• 14. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                                DannyAP Level 1

as much as i love android, i'd suspect that development on ios would be a lot easier. since there really isn't any choice in hardware and it's easier to tell people to be on version xxx of and os it would make for a more stable test base.

can't you just see the rush of android users complaining that Abobe SumpinSumpin won't run on their mediatek chipset running gingerbread?

• 15. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                                  BenFrey2013 Level 1

That's not really relevant. You can limit an Android app to a specific OS baseline, and you can also give hardware restrictions.

Lots of developers already do this, in both the Google Play and Amazon App stores, and nobody has any real issues with it. All Adobe would have to do is put a list of the devices they DO support, and say that they may work on other devices, but there are no promises. When someone posts a complaint, they would ask what device, and tell them that device wasn't supported at this time.

They already do something similar with graphics cards support in Photoshop, and it's a pretty simple customer service response. "Please see the list at this URL. If you graphics card isn't on this list, it isn't technically supported, but it may work. YMMV."

All they need to do is focus on about 4-5 different product lines (Galaxy, Moto G, Nexus, Razor) and make sure the apps run on the 2012 versions of those devices.

The truth is, they are almost certainly already working on Android versions of these apps, they just don't want to talk about it now. It makes no sense to develop without cross-platform in mind, and while the current build may not be stable on Android, you can bet they are developing both in tandem. When they do release it, it will have feature parity with the iOS version. In other words, Will almost certainly lied to one degree or another in his post on this thread.

• 16. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                                    The Jayster Level 1

Personally, I find this answer to be extremely evasive. No simple "yes - we are planning on releasing them in the future" or "no, we aren't planning on it". Just the typical corporate blow-off. Something weird is going on between Apple and Adobe imo. The almost singular focus on Apple products in Adobe training and advertising is beyond the realm of chance imo. Don't you guys remember?? Mobile CC apps where originally created and released for Android devices when the Creative Cloud was first rolled out. The apps for Android actually outnumbered the apps for iOS! However, due to some issue Apple had with apps being available for download via Adobe CC, the mobile apps where inexplicably withdrawn from our CC subscriptions - even for Android users. This caused a huge stir initially. When the apps finally reappeared - the key Android apps where missing and only iOS apps have been made available. Now - on the CC Mobile Apps webpage - there isn't a single Android app listed and Adobe is even selling iOS peripherals. From a company who provides creative tools to an entire worldwide industry of developers and artists, to continue (after many many many requests/complaints) to disregard a user base such as Android mobile (far larger than iOS worldwide) is suspicious to say the least. So - don't hold your breath is all I'm saying. Since Flash was ousted from mobile (at least from a plug-in perspective) - the instantaneous adoption of everything iOS throughout Adobe's advertising simply has to be related to some sort of mutually beneficial business agreement. Anything else is beyond my ability to fathom at this point and any suspicions in this regard are - in the very least - entirely natural.  Just plain weird (and offensive to an Android/Google user who has had the CC subscription since day 1).

• 18. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                                      Derjis Level 2

So, I assume the official line from Adobe re: an Android version of Sketch is still "*shrug* maybe we will maybe we won't whatevs chill bro"...?

• 19. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                                        ChaosKirin Level 1

I'm a little confused about why you're trying to make a "great experience for iOS" and not bothering with Android. While iOS devices were "The first," they're hardly the most popular. You're leaving out half of your potential audience. I think you should also concentrate on making a "great experience for Android" at the same time. It's silly to wait. Bordering on downright bewildering.

• 20. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                                          scrox018 Level 1

I'm beginning to think that they will never make these apps for Android. I feel like Apple has something to do with it. I love Apple to the fullest, but not enough to have to buy EVERYTHING as i like to have an unbiased experience with other products. I ended up buying a Galaxy S5 for the physical features, however 3 months in with it, I forced to feel as though i have to get an iphone right now, to improve my personal workflow. Hopefully i can convince my wife to by the New iphone and we can switch. It sucks to the fullest. There's No reason why Kuler, of all apps, isn't ready and released for android. I just say that they should tell us, we aren't to going make apps for android at this current time. PLease buy an iPhone or iPad to enjoy our apps.

• 21. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                                            Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

scrox018 wrote:

I'm beginning to think that they will never make these apps for Android. I feel like Apple has something to do with it. I love Apple to the fullest, but not enough to have to buy EVERYTHING as i like to have an unbiased experience with other products. I ended up buying a Galaxy S5 for the physical features, however 3 months in with it, I forced to feel as though i have to get an iphone right now, to improve my personal workflow. Hopefully i can convince my wife to by the New iphone and we can switch. It sucks to the fullest. There's No reason why Kuler, of all apps, isn't ready and released for android. I just say that they should tell us, we aren't to going make apps for android at this current time. PLease buy an iPhone or iPad to enjoy our apps.

Observations:

Interestingly, Kuler (which, of course, is now known as Color) *was* available for Android awhile ago but was pulled from Google Play at some point. I had it. It was pretty good. Paid $9.99 USD for it. (I think around that time they pulled it from the App Store but later showed back up as a free app.)

Photoshop Touch was also released for Android first before iOS some months later. In a strange twist, when trying to go to Adobe's official page for PS Touch, you're now taken to the forum.  : /

There was that recent announcement that Adobe's testing the waters with streaming Photoshop to Chromebooks, which is, of course, Google's property.

It was said that Lightroom Mobile was coming to Android at some point but no update as of yet.

Adobe did release Creative Cloud for Android yesterday. (Apparently a "preview" but as far as I can tell, you can view your images on CC and upload to your CC account. It was working fine on my Nexus 7 2013 anyhoo even though people are saying they can't get it to work on tablets.)  /shrug

And, finally, John Nack, who helped to pioneer features in Photoshop like Smart Objects, left Adobe in February to join Google.

What does all this mean? I'm not exactly sure. xD

• 22. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                                              preime Level 1

Adobe's attitude is not only incredibly insulting and ignorant, it is also short-sighted, particularly considering the top android handsets would actually allow their apps to be more flexible and powerful as they have more RAM at their disposal and the very popular Galaxy Note series would be a perfect device with its integral stylus. This is not acceptable and makes me reconsider staying with my CC subscription. I guess it is time to start looking for adobe alternatives.

• 23. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                                                scrox018 Level 1

Thanks for the update! I totally went to download some of the new apps. They didn't hace behance either. Well this can give us a little hope.

• 24. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                                                  scrox018 Level 1

Well I don't think the apps are as necessary to the extent of dumping adobe products all together. The programs are the best out there. No competition. I just think it lame that we who have android devices can't take advantage of apps that essentially improve workfllow and expand creativity.

• 25. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                                                    Newbold3D Level 1

With the Samsung Note 4 about to drop and the new stylus i'd love Sketch on that device! Would be a great addition to my expensive CC subscription.

• 26. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                                                      Amentius Level 1

There are some products, that are similar and somewhat better

• 27. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                                                        zorrillamonsoon Level 1

would be great if you could list them!

Edgar Andrés Zorrilla

Creative Principal

Partnership: Nextmarvel.net <http://nextmarvel.net/>

Personal: ZorrillaMonsoon.com <http://zorrillamonsoon.com/>

Follow @NEXTMARVEL <http://twitter.com/nextmarvel>

Like @NEXTMARVEL <http://facebook.com/nextmarvel>

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Amenthiuz <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 28. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                                                          Derjis Level 2

I quite like Autodesk Sketchbook. I won't post the link here, but it's super easy to find on the Google Play store. I have it installed on my Lenovo Yoga HD+; I take it to client meetings, and use it to visualize ideas.

• 29. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                                                            zorrillamonsoon Level 1

Which ones! Please share! I got a note 3 and note pro ready for some creative battling!

• 30. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                                                              Newbold3D Level 1

Id like to be able to use CC libraries with it though

• 31. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                                                                stevensmith2048 Level 1

There was a brief mention in one of the keynote adobe MAX presentations about Android. I am under the impression that Adobe is in the process of developing apps more for Android, however not to expect it within the next year. This was just around the same time they mentioned their work with Microsoft and the Surface. They have already invested heavily in the Apple line of products regardless of reason. I believe once they are past their binge of mobile app roll out on iOS we will begin to see them start transferring code over to android

Their mobile development is still in its infancy. Most of their mobile apps are barely past beta testing, some are still in beta testing. They are just barely starting to fit professional workflow demands on iOS, although they get better with every release. Once they have a solid base of quality mobile products I think we can expect to see them on different platforms, but for now I don't really have a desire to use many of their mobile products yet anyway.

• 32. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                                                                  floramc Adobe Community Professional

Hi there!

I understand the frustration when it comes to Android apps. I am not speaking officially for nobody but I do not believe there is a selection based on fanciness of iOs opposing Android at all. I noticed while studying for a short while app design that creating for iOs and creating for Android gives different challenges to win and I suppose it takes a longer time to have stable apps that work on both. While probably the code is easily broken with iOs and consequently easier to throw a product on the market, when it is about Android, then many issues just don't go as smoothly as one would want.

There is a huge confession to make that while studying app design, you could even go two different lines: either iOs or Android. Some smart enough went both, and I am really struggling there.

I am sure Adobe has programmers skilled enough to cross over those issues, I am talking profanely as to my feeling that to put the same app on the market with the same stability takes way longer time on an Android. No professional can really go excluding an alternative just because and I don't believe anybody is doing that.

Hopefully later in time we are going to see something happening. I work on both iPad and Android, I prefer my iPad for real sentimental reasons, but don't make this a brand thing, I would reject options of arrogance and negative attitude. It's just a process that requires a different thinking.

Look at Surface Pro and the beautiful integration with CC, I would really reject a selection at the very beginning. It seems like the company is aware there is a pressure to get the apps on Android. There is surely nothing personal on it, just give them time.

• 33. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                                                                    MaisonMason Level 1

Any business that outfits it's employees with apple products clearly doesn't have an accountant.

I pay as much as an ios user. Your answer can't be "we're currently working on ios, letcha know when we decide the platform that shipped with 80% of devices last year becomes relevant."

I have a word of advice, get a note 4, and enjoy watching your app work as you'd expect it.

• 34. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                                                                      theDustinWilliam Level 1

Android is and will forever be a far more superior OS than iOS. IPhone and iPads are for those who like to play and be trendy, Android is for those who know to use their devices to the fullest. Adobe choosing iOS is much like Apples move to cater to the mainstream consumer. Its a shame! The Samsung Galaxy Note would have great opportunities with Photoshop brushes. Especially being a CC complete annual subscriber, I'd expect these apps to rollout like the desktop apps. Regardless of platform.

• 35. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?

I find it hard to believe on speculations against Androids, for me it is just a matter of time. I can only speak for myself, but I would reject position that says that Androids are neglected both for commercial agreements or market fragmentations. True, Apple is huge in the US, true Adobe sells worldwide and they did not become Adobe caring about American users only, though quite understandable that first market comes first.

A note: despite in my point of view there is nothing wrong in being trendy - like there is nothing wrong in preferring your mobile with a lily or a blue case, there is a lot to gain in working on both devices, and being a cross user I agree with you, the Androids have incredible performances. I hope too that apps will be on both kind of devices, but please, don't take Will's answer as arrogant. I take a step in into it, because I always had a very relaxed conversation with him on apps and tools and I can't see a drop of arrogance in the person. It's a very inappropriate word to use and I feel he's taken for who he's not, and his answer for something it is not either.

I strongly believe he just meant right now there is a lot of work and a lot of focus on iOs. You have too to understand that a lot of users who read here would be very picky the moment he even mentions Androids - but he is telling you: we will post here as soon as we have official plans. It is actually the best answer you can get right now. At times there are no dates and no official plans to share, same happens to me and my company.

On the other side I think it is really beautiful to see that many people value the apps and really want them on Androids too. I look at this as very positive and encouraging. I believe it is important that you keep on reminding that you are still waiting, and it is good that you make it clear you trust more the Android experience. It's good for Adobe to know what the users ask, and I would encourage this discussion to continue, as I agree too, it would be awesome to have everything on both iOs and Android.

Just don't feel provoked by the answer, and don't make it personal. I speak for myself, but out of my personal experience as an user and as an active individual in the creative world under the flag of Adobe, nobody is trying to annoy you or diss you. Look at the surface pro experience. It took some time to get there, but it's really way above the standards and for once you see mac users gaping to astonishment.

• 36. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                                                                          zorrillamonsoon Level 1

Not to stray from discussion too much but how is your note 4 treating you? I think Im ready to switch! I love sketchbook pro on it, but back to this convo, I hate there is no real suite of products or even creative cloud tools from adobe for Adobe Illustrator work! Why did they discontinue Adobe ideas, and many other apps that already existed?! One would imagine they could just reiterate on what they already did! It existed and now it's gone from the store. It makes no sense. That's why there is all this speculation on some Adobe VS Android thing possibly happening!

• 37. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                                                                            theDustinWilliam Level 1

To me, it seems Adobe has a preference for Apple and iOS. Regardless of the reason, I do think they should develop both platforms at the same time. Android is equal or above the share of mobile OS's on people devices, so it's only in Adobe benefit to attend to Android users as well. I know iOS is popular, (off topic: Android is in my opinion an exponentially far superior mobile OS than iOS in terms of power, customization, just about everything else). It seems a trend, that companies attend to iOS users before Android, because it is a more 'cool' to do so. You can disagree with me all you want, but to me, and to I am sure, many others, it seems this is the case.

Oh, as for the Note 4, get it! Simply amazing device. I've owned every Note since they first came out, this one is by far the best.

• 38. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?
                                                                              MaisonMason Level 1

The note 4 is the best "phone" out. Period.

• 39. Re: Will Adobe Sketch and the other mobile apps be available on Android?

I can only speculate about ideas. Many of the new apps have a similar layout and some performances in common. Maybe ideas grew outside and did not fit any longer. I was very fond of ideas, illustrator draw is more powerful but it was emotional to move forwards, I understand the frustration.

1 2 3 Previous Next