12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2014 11:43 AM by Noel Carboni

Photoshop CC 64 bit

VertigoStatus

I run a 64-bit operating system.

Before Photoshop CC changed to Photoshop CC 2014, it installed both in my Program Files, and Program Files (x86) folders. Now, it only displays in the Program Files folder.

Topaz Labs, installs in the (x86) folder, and refuses to shop up in Photoshop. How can I download Photoshop CC 2014, and make sure it's downloaded to my 64-bit Program Files (x86) folder? The lady I chatted with for help was of no use and was telling me how to Install Photoshop, which... I already know how to.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Photoshop CC 64 bit
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Photoshop CC (2014) no longer installs a 32 bit version for you by default.

See also:  New Software Available via your Creative Cloud Application

Note that I have listed the link to the page containing 32 bit installer there.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Photoshop CC 64 bit
            davidc1815 Level 4

It would be ridiculous to have to maintain both CC 64bit and CC 2014 64bit.  The latter must surely subsume the former.

The problem is that plugins cannot be installed in the 2014 version.  Topaz is mentioned and like the OP, the problem I have is that while Topaz plugins install, they do not show up in the CC 2014 64bit installation (filter list).

It would be helpful if Adobe staff could put their heads above the parapet on this...

• 3. Re: Re: Photoshop CC 64 bit
              Noel Carboni Level 8

Opinions of ridiculousness aside, I'm just telling you how Adobe does it.

Photoshop CC (2014) is a completely separate application from Photoshop CC 14.x.

They can coexist, though nothing says you have to keep the old one once you have the new software up and working.

But the key thing in your case is this:

The Creative Cloud application installed both 32 and 64 bit Photoshop CC 14.x applications on your computer:

The 32 bit application went here:  C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC

The 64 bit application went here:  C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)

The Creative Cloud application installs ONLY a 64 bit Photoshop CC (2014) application on your computer:

The 64 bit application goes here:  C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014

IF you go to this link, there you can find the installer that will put the 32 bit Photoshop CC (2014) application on your computer:

Adobe - Photoshop : For Windows

The 32 bit application goes here:  C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 (32 Bit)

Thus, you will need not only to install Photoshop CC (2014) from the Creative Cloud application, but if you really need 32 bit plug-ins you'll have to install the 32 bit Photoshop CC separately.  Then, at some future date if you decide you no longer need the Photoshop CC 14.x version, you can remove it.

Please don't shoot the messenger.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Photoshop CC 64 bit
                davidc1815 Level 4

Thanks, Noel.  It is not you who is ridiculous, heaven forfend, but any reality in which something called ""Photoshop CC 2014" does not contain everything (well, nearly everything) that something preceding it called "Photoshop CC" is.  This does not preclude it being a separate piece of software.

I have found that by putting shortcuts to plugins installed in the CC 64bit/plugins folder, in the CC 2014/plugins (64bit) folder makes them appear and work in CC 2014.  At least all the plugins I have tried.  This is after, yes, after, I uninstalled CC.  The folders continue to exist though the application doesn't.

Anyway, no doubt it will eventually sort itself out....

• 5. Re: Photoshop CC 64 bit
                  Noel Carboni Level 8

The shortcut to the other folder can work, but beware - some plug-ins install extra stuff in other folders, such as the main Photoshop installation area.  Those won't work without having been reinstalled into Photoshop CC (2014).

-Noel

• 6. Re: Photoshop CC 64 bit
                    Jesper Storm Bache Adobe Employee

As Noel states, on a 64 bit system, 64 bit applications go into the "Program Files" folder, and 32 bit applications go into the "Program Files (x86)" folder.

When an application is running you can use task manager to tell whether you are running the 32 or 64 bit version of Photoshop. Right click on the task-bar and choose task-manager 32 bit applications are called out.

Why are we doing this?

Having a single installer including both 32 and 64 bit makes for a larger download, and there is a strong correlation between installer size and download failures.

In order to help our users with slower internet connections, we therefore offer two smaller installers rather than a single large.

In addition to the installer size, not all users need both versions. If you are running on a 64 bit operating system, then you only need the 32 bit version of Photoshop if you use 3rd party plug-ins that are still 32 bit only.

On a launch day, there is a lot of information that we'd like to provide our users, and I agree that the 32 vs 64 bit split was hard to find. We are improving this, but the following link does discuss this: 2014 release of Photoshop CC: Separate 32-bit/64-bit installation

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Jesper

• 7. Re: Photoshop CC 64 bit
                      VertigoStatus Level 1

Thank you, I have actually found a solution.

The Topaz Labs files were saved under Program Files (x86) under it's own Topaz Labs folder. I dragged and dropped this complete folder to my Program Files > Adobe > Photoshop CC 2014 > Plug-ins, and it works like a charm. It was a bit of a hassle due to it being new, it sucks it's not compatible otherwise, but it works again now.

Thank you for the fast responses anyhow. I appreciate it.

• 8. Re: Photoshop CC 64 bit

Great that things are working for you!

I don't use the Topaz Labs plug-ins myself, but a quick look on their web site does indicate that they support 64 bit. The following link can be used to go to their help center page: Topaz Help Center

• 9. Re: Photoshop CC 64 bit
                          Noel Carboni Level 8

Jesper, it might have been better, possibly, if Photoshop CC (2014) 64 bit and Photoshop CC (2014) 32 bit were both offered by the Creative Cloud application.

-Noel

• 10. Re: Photoshop CC 64 bit
                            VertigoStatus Level 1

I would have to agree with this.

Perhaps there is a possibility to have an automatic install (which, just like now, "detects") what operating system you are using, along side being able to choose which version you want to install either 32-bit, or 64-bit. This may be a life saver for those who purchase and want to throw it on a USB stick for their computers. I know my friend has a back up computer because she's so serious about her graphic work.

That'd be a fantastic middle, ground to be honest.

• 11. Re: Photoshop CC 64 bit

Thanks for the feedback.

Jesper

• 12. Re: Photoshop CC 64 bit
                                Noel Carboni Level 8

One other thing...  If we manually install the 32 bit edition, is the Creative Cloud application going to take it under its wing and keep it up to date?  Or do we separately have to manage updating it from now on?

-Noel