17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2014 6:12 PM by DressageVid

System meets specs, can't process AVCHD

DressageVid

I can't figure out why my laptop maxes out its processor when editing footage from my Panasonic HD camcorder.  It does fine with standard def footage, and I think it meets specs for PE10.  Here are the specs from computer, maybe a tech-savvy user out there can help?

HP HDX Premium laptop - I use CPUID - CPU-Z to get this info, don't really know what many of the specs mean...... Any data missing I can probably find with CPU-Z.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P8700  @ 2.53GHz

Two cores, 2 threads, Multi-processing not supported 

Bus speed 1.066Ghz; L2 cache 3MB

RAM 4GB DDR2

Graphics Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT (memory 512 MB)

Chipset Intel PM45

TIA!

• 1. Re: System meets specs, can't process AVCHD
          DressageVid Level 1

I guess my question is "What's causing the bottle-neck?"

• 2. Re: System meets specs, can't process AVCHD
            DressageVid Level 1

I tried to edit the original posting -- no luck -- problem is in the RENDERING stage, not editing.

• 3. Re: System meets specs, can't process AVCHD
              A.T. Romano Level 7

DressageVid

What computer operating system are you running your Premiere Elements 10, including 32 bit or 64 bit system? If you have a 32 bit computer in use here, that could be a factor in your issue.

But, top of the list

Graphics Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT (memory 512 MB)

Is your video card drive up to date? If it is, you may have to roll back the driver version to May 2013 or thereabouts. Have you read the Announcement at the top of this forum - Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA GeForce? Give all the details and how to on that if this matter applies to you. After the video card driver situation is addressed and, if that does not improve your situation, then we are going after the properties of your source media and the project preset you are setting, including size of project and other project performance details.

Is your computer optimized, defragmented, and recent ccleaner run through?

Please review and consider and then we can discuss what next in strategy for the troubleshooting plan.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: System meets specs, can't process AVCHD
                A.T. Romano Level 7

DressageVid

Just saw your post numbered 2 after I had posted (post numbered 3).

Please detail exactly what is the problem with rendering the Timeline content containing your source video? Do you find

that, when you drag your video to the Timeline for the first time, that there is a red line over its contents? If a red line over content, can you hit the Enter key of the computer main keyboard and get the Timeline video to render to give you the best possible preview? At the end of the rendering process, did that red line turn green?

Also, where have you directed the Video Preview files and how much free hard drive space is there? (Please see Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks).

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: System meets specs, can't process AVCHD
                  DressageVid Level 1

A.T., I tried to go back and edit my original post to correct it -- the problem is in rendering, not editing.  Also, OS is Vista 64-bit.  Am really sorry the original post was incorrect/incomplete.  I cannot get the website to accept an edit!  right now, I don't even see an edit option.

• 6. Re: System meets specs, can't process AVCHD
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

DressageVid

Thanks for the reply. At the bottom left of you post is an invisible looking word "Action". When you click on that, you get an Edit option. The Edit option does not remain available forever (I have found). Additional replies to that post can disable the Edit opportunity for the one you want to edit.

I understand your message about your issue being "rendering the Timeline content" in nature. But the questions asked are all applicable and the answers will be helpful. If you find you cannot edit a post, then just start another post in your thread with a detailed account of what is happening in your Timeline render.

We will put all together hopefully into the issue resolution that we seek.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: System meets specs, can't process AVCHD
                      DressageVid Level 1

Thank you for being so patient!  I may be using the wrong vocabulary.  After the video is edited and I go to "Share" and export it Burn to File (so I can make a DVD), that process maxes out my processor according to Task Manager in Wiindows (Vista, 64-bit).  I will find the announcement about the Geforce Nvidia problem.

I have been relying on my husband's gaming desktop computer to process high-def footage, and can continue to do so if need be.  I doubt that the graphics driver on this laptop has been updated in quite a long time.  It is might be time to replace the laptop, I thought if I understood why it can't handle high-def processing, I'll be more likely to pick the right laptop to replace it.  Am leaning toward an ASUS with the right specs.  HP doesn't seem to provide 7200 rpm HDDs any longer = "Strike One"

• 8. Re: System meets specs, can't process AVCHD
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

DressageVid

Your Premiere Elements 10 on Windows Vista 64 bit is only a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of the 64 bit system. And, as such, it has the limitations of 32 bit, namely max supported installed RAM = 4 GB with 3.2 to 3.0 or less of that available. So you may have a computer resource issue working against you. Premiere Elements 10 is 64 bit application when it is run specifically on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. Under those circumstances it can take advantage of the 64 bit resources.

We need to rule in or out as soon as possible what video card/graphics card that the Windows Vista 64 bit is using. If you have the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA GeForce combo, you will be in trouble. In this case, you do not want the latest version of the driver. You must roll back the driver version in order to get rid of Premiere Elements 10 issues.

What is your exact Share route right now.

Share/Computer/MPEG with a NTSC DVD Widescreen preset to give you a MPEG2.mpg file to burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc in another project

Share/Disc/DVD Folder (4.7 GB)

or something else.

Why are you not going Timeline content direct to DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc?

(Share/Disc/DVD disc with a NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD preset)

If you are in Share/Computer/MPEG, what is the estimated file size and duration for the export to be.

If you are doing Share/Disc/DVD Folder (4.7 GB), what does the burn dialog show for Space Required and Bitrate (with check

mark next to "Fit Content to Available Space"? I am trying to get an idea of how large a project you are working with.

Let us pause here, collect the information, and then review it to decide how best to proceed.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: System meets specs, can't process AVCHD
                          DressageVid Level 1

"Let us pause here, collect the information, and then review it to decide how best to proceed."  Yes -- a pause will be necessary, won't be able to get to this until Sunday.  Thanks!

• 10. Re: System meets specs, can't process AVCHD
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

DressageVid

Thanks for the update.

We will look forward to your follow up when your schedule permits. Lots to review, lots to consider.

ATR

• 11. Re: System meets specs, can't process AVCHD
                              DressageVid Level 1

AT, since this laptop is soon to be retired (for reasons other than the problem we are discussing), I don't want to spend too much of your time chasing this particular problem around.  However, I will answer some of these questions just so I can get more education about the video process.  The info you provided about Win7 v. Vista was very helpful.  This laptop came stock with Vista, I upgraded to Win7 (64), but when the HDD later died and had to be replaced, it turned out the computer repair place had lost the Win7 key and I could not re-upgrade to Win7.

What is your exact Share route right now?" -- I finish the project and save it (very simple stuff, just combine 2 or 3 clips, trimming some, and done).  Then I go to Share/Disc/DVD Folder (4.7 GB).  I edit and "Share to folder" several of these in a session (what I call rendering,  perhaps that's not right?) and later I sit down and burn the DVDs with ImgBurn.  I keep    I have no idea how PE would organize that stuff, have never gone direct to disc with PE.

what does the burn dialog show for Space Required and Bitrate?  Usually they are less than 4.7 GB, I haven't done one for awhile that was more than that -- these are 45 minutes in real time which = ~2.6 GB.  For one that is less than 4.7 GB, I always uncheck the "Fit" checkbox, and move the slider to highest quality.  That shows about 8 Mbps.  If I tried to fit 2 rides on one DVD, it would be roughly 5.2GB, and I would have to use the Fit option.

I have filmed a couple hundred hours of rides over the past several years and burned dozens and dozens of DVDs, and have pretty much this routine.  For short rides (15 minutes or so), I sometimes post privately to YouTube, but mostly do these 45-minute things -- students riding their horses in clinics and wanting a video to study afterward.

• 12. Re: System meets specs, can't process AVCHD
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

DressageVid

Thanks for taking the time to stop to conclude the discussion of your original thread issues which will not be pursued since you are revising your computer environment.

You should do well with Premiere Elements 10, 11, or 12 as 64 bit application when run specifically in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. If you stay with 10, just beware of the probability of the Premiere Elements 10 NVIDIA Ge Force video card situation which demands driver version roll back for Premiere Elements 10 to work.

We will be watching for your progress when you get the chance to write again.

Thanks again for the follow up.

ATR

• 13. Re: System meets specs, can't process AVCHD
                                  DressageVid Level 1

Thanks, AT.  I guess I'll be upgrading PE when I get a new laptop, since all the ones I've seriously considered have an NVIDIA GeForce board in them.  Once I narrow things down, I'll post asking for any feedback on the specs before I order.

• 14. Re: System meets specs, can't process AVCHD
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

DressageVid

Just a reminder that to date Premiere Elements 10 is the only version that has been targeted by this NVIDIA GeForce video card issue which requires roll back of the card's driver version in order for Premiere Elements 10 to function properly.

CUDA is not a consideration in Premiere Elements as it is in Premiere Pro.

Mercury, CUDA, and what it all means

RAM should be a consideration since the 64 bit application in the 64 bit system will have more than 4 GB of RAM available to it.

More on all this when you ready.

ATR

• 15. Re: System meets specs, can't process AVCHD
                                      DressageVid Level 1

I need help with a general forum problem...  I'm trying to post another question in the PE forum, am asked to sign in, I sign in successfully,  I go to start the discussion but that page quickly changes over to yet another sign-in page.  An endless loop!  No time lag between these events, happened 4 times in  5 minutes.  Feel lucky I was able to at least get my query for help posted here.  Any assistance greatly appreciated.

• 16. Re: System meets specs, can't process AVCHD
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

DressageVid

For general forum problems, your best choice is the Adobe Comments Forum if you can sign in and create a thread there. See link below.

Forum comments

However, my feeling is, if you can sign in and create a thread there, you would not need help.

Are you navigating to the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum, signing in here, and then going to the place where it says Ask A Question?

But, then again, if you started this thread, you have been there and done all that before.

Best advice would be to try again with this new thread that you want to create here. There may be a problem that the web people are working on.

Any chance a browser issue?

If problems persist, then tack your question onto this thread so that we can get to work on it and you do not lose any time getting

to the core of whatever Premiere Elements workflow problem that might be happening.

I am just a Premiere Elements user trying to learn the new format. Miles to go with all that.

ATR

• 17. Re: System meets specs, can't process AVCHD
                                          DressageVid Level 1

I put a link in my Favorite bar that seems to work:

https://forums.adobe.com/discussion/create.jspa?containerType=14&containerID=3271#draftID= 4464871

I'm  hesitant to re-create whatever happened yesterday, but if I get shut out again, I'll try to come here and holler.  Thanks!