7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2014 1:23 AM by TheColinDay RSS

Audition CC on Mac - jerky scrolling

TheColinDay

I've been using Audition CC on a Windows PC for a while with no great dramas.  Recently switched to new i-Mac 21.5 with the following spec:

3.1GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz

16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X8GB

512GB Flash Storage

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1GB GDDR5

Problem is: jerky scrolling - in waveform mode especially.  Used to be very smooth even at high magnification on the PC.  I assumed it would be even better on the Mac, but it's very disappointing.

Sound is fine but the visual playback is very poor and jerky.

Spoke to an Adobe tech support and he took control remotely and did a reset of the settings.  He assured me I wouldn't lose anything by doing that.  That wasn't true.  I lost all my effects presets that I'd carefully been tweaking for the past months.  Not happy - especially as nothing changed at all with the scrolling issue.

Any clues anyone? Be very grateful.  The Mac feels like a step back at the moment...

Thanks

• 1. Re: Audition CC on Mac - jerky scrolling
          paulfigg

I was seeing this as well, until I updated this morning. The scrolling is much improved after updating to the new 2014 CC version. By the way I get why they are installing an entirely new instance of the app(s). OTOH it's still a hassle.

-paul.

• 2. Re: Audition CC on Mac - jerky scrolling
            TheColinDay Community Member

Hmm that's interesting Paul.  I had already done the update earlier today.  Just checked and scrolling seems fine at the moment.  Not saying it's fixed but let's see....

• 3. Re: Audition CC on Mac - jerky scrolling
              paulfigg Community Member

Yeah, It was driving me nuts. I was in touch with adobe and complained about it a few months ago. They told me to sit tight. At this point it's definitly much improved in the new version. In fact I've noticed efficiency improvements in Media Encoder as well. The old version used to take forever to launch. The new version is much better. I'm just annoyed with how they are implementing these updates as independent apps. Like I said - I get what they're doing. OTOH it's time consuming to reconfigure. You can carry over application Preferences. Not the case with Workspaces and such ...

-paul.

• 4. Re: Audition CC on Mac - jerky scrolling

Jerkiness seems much improved this afternoon.  Nice coincidence!  What bugs me is that the phone tech support were seemingly unaware of this issue and the impending update.  Ah well, life isn't always perfect is it?

• 5. Re: Audition CC on Mac - jerky scrolling
                  SteveG(AudioMasters) Community Member

TheColinDay wrote:

Spoke to an Adobe tech support and he took control remotely and did a reset of the settings.  He assured me I wouldn't lose anything by doing that.  That wasn't true.  I lost all my effects presets that I'd carefully been tweaking for the past months.  Not happy - especially as nothing changed at all with the scrolling issue.

We generally refer to them as the 'Chat Line' these days. Ring them at your peril...

• 6. Re: Audition CC on Mac - jerky scrolling
                    ryclark Community Member

paulfigg wrote:

. You can carry over application Preferences. Not the case with Workspaces and such ...

-paul.

You can if you know in advance and back them up to somewhere where they don't get overwritten. You can then move all your settings back after a hard reset re-install.

• 7. Re: Audition CC on Mac - jerky scrolling

OP here.  I need to re-open this thread because the playback display is still jerky even after the upgrade to Audition CC 2014.

Initially I thought there was some improvement, but that was a false dawn.

The problem remains.  Any ideas anyone?  It seems pretty poor that Audition cannot scroll smoothly on a pretty high spec new mac....