1 2 3 Previous Next 80 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2015 8:43 AM by ErikaSFM Branched to a new discussion.

Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup

Emma Gilette

Photoshop 2014 is crashing on startup after first time install.

Dialog appears "Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 has stopped working"

It seems to happen within seconds of startup about 80% of the time. Other times it will not crash for minutes.

Anyone have any ideas. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Details

OS = Windows 7

64bit

Event log

Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 15.0.0.58, time stamp: 0x536b438e

Faulting module name: aticaldd64.dll, version: 6.14.10.1607, time stamp: 0x4ea7647e

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000441382

Faulting process id: 0xe80

Faulting application start time: 0x01cf8bc9fd247791

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Photoshop.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\aticaldd64.dll

Report Id: 44d6d48c-f7bd-11e3-892c-8c89a558c97b

• 1. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Clear as crystal: it crashes in your graphics driver. Update it.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
            Level 7

Your ATI/AMD graphics card driver is crashing.

Update the drivers from AMD's website.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
              nuharjegfaaetnok

My Photoshop CC 2014 also crashes on startup and my graphics drivers are up to date.

• 4. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                DairyBusinessJustin

I am having exactly the same problem using basically the same hardware/OS. Thanks for suggesting updating my video driver. I'm downloading the update as I write this. I'll post my results after my almost certain restart.

• 5. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                  DairyBusinessJustin Level 1

And yes, updating my video drivers totally fixed my issues with Photoshop crashing just after starting!!! Thanks again fellows!

• 6. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                    slyon2

Downloaded an update for my driver and no more crashing! Thank you!!!

• 7. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                      JTBeckerleg

I am having the same problem. I have updated my graphics/video drivers and have had no success. I am still crashing upon start up of Photoshop CC 2014. Any other suggestions as to what I should try next? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 8. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup

JT,

See if your video card is on this list:
                        Photoshop CC and CC 2014 GPU FAQ

• 9. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                          JTBeckerleg Level 1

Yes, I have an AMD Radeon 7570, which I assume falls into the 7000 series.

• 10. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup

I had spoken to Adobe support yesterday when I first found the issue. Although it didn't help me, they had me rename the following files on my Win 7 machine:

Program Files(x86)/Adobe/      I changed it to Program Files(x86)/_Adobe.. and I think I may have only changed a sub-folder, /Adobe/Photoshop to /Adobe/_Photoshop

Program Files/Adobe

and

ProgramData/Adobe/SLStore

As well, after I did that and it didn't work, we checked permissions on the last folder, ensuring everyone had full permission (except for CREATOR OWNER, which seemingly can't be changed).

Despite that not working in my case, just re-naming those folder, at least temporarily and trying to start the program, might help you figure out what the issue is. It's my understanding that presets and paths are in those folders, so if that does work, you'll still have to re-configure some stuff.

• 11. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                              Emma Gilette Level 1

Updating worked for me on a AMD 6550 APU graphics card. Thanks heaps

• 12. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                zsolt247

I have the same issue, the driver update did not help. I have a AMD Radeon 7570 on a Windows 7 64bit PC.

• 13. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                  JTBeckerleg Level 1

Were in the same boat. Using the same graphics card and operating system. I've got work piling up so I've just reverted back the old Photoshop CC and keeping my fingers crossed that Adobe gets this straightened out.

• 14. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                    dennis2651

Dell OptiPlex 9010.   I am using what I believe to be the latest Catalyst SW version. If anyone finds the issue is corrected by a driver update, please share the version you used.  Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CC are still installed on the same PC and run without issue, as does LR5.

• 15. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                      dennis2651 Level 1

Sorry--- Using AMD Radeon HD 7570 on Dell OptiPlex 9010

• 16. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                        JTBeckerleg Level 1

I'm using AMD Raedon HD 7570 on Dell OptiPlex 7010. I'm seeing a common theme here. Someone please help.

• 17. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                          Noel Carboni Level 8

And what version would your ATI Catalyst  drivers be?

Catalyst 14.4 is a good release for Photoshop.

-Noel

• 18. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                            zsolt247 Level 1

I finally got it to work. I uninstalled the video card driver, restarted the computer, than re-installed the driver (one more restart) ==> Photoshop didn't crash anymore. (I also have a AMD Radeon HD 7570 card on WIN7 64bit). Hope this helps.

• 19. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                              dennis2651 Level 1

The Catalyst 14.4 drivers do *appear* to be compatible with the Dell AMD Radeon HD 7570.  At least the first time through.  I have a project I need to get out the door right now but will retry later.  If anyone is able to confirm Catalyst 14.4 install on Dell AMD HD 7570 1GB would LOVE to hear about it!

• 20. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                                Noel Carboni Level 8

I can't say about the 7570, but I've been using Catalyst 14.4 on an ATI Radeon HD 7850 since the day 14.4 was released (April 26, 2014) with zero problems.

-Noel

• 21. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                                  brentd99

I had the exact same problem and couldn't get the Catalyst 14.4 drivers to install on Dell OptiPlex 9010 with Radeon 7570.  Finally after hours of messing with this installed the beta Catalyst drivers from AMD site and everything, including PS appears to be working good now.  What a pain!  Hope this helps.

• 22. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                                    dennis2651 Level 1

Brentd99- Wow, that is hopefully good news.  I attempted to install the 14.4 drivers on my 9010 with Radeon 7570, also unsuccessfully.  Further research on other forms indicate that the Dell version of the Radeon 7570 does not support update directly from the AMD website.  So, after the failure of the attempted 14.4 installation I had kind of given up.  Based on your experience above I will download the beta version this evening and keep my fingers crossed.  Thanks for the update!

• 23. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                                      UnwantedBurden

It also crashes for me. My graphics card driver is Radeon (TM) HD 6520G that is updated. I honestly have no idea what to do now. Anyone want to shed some light on the subject for me?

• 24. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                                        JTBeckerleg Level 1

Success! I had given up as well, until brentd99 suggested trying the beta version (14.6) driver, and it worked! Thanks so much to everyone who has posted in this forum. This was a total headache, but it feels good to finally have it resolved. Now I can catch up on all the projects this put me behind on.

• 25. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                                          cynglas Level 1

I had the identical problem with Windows 7 64 bit and AMD Radeon HD7570 graphics adapter. Installing the Beta version 14.6 of the AMD Catalyst software and drivers has cleared it. Make sure you uninstall the previous versions first and delete any folders inside C:\AMD\Support. The screen display looks "broken" after this because it is using default drivers. Then reboot and install the Beta Catalyst package. Reboot again and all should be well. I noticed that the Beta Catalyst package installed Microsoft .NET framework 4.5 on my system. It looks like that is the missing piece that Photoshop CC 2014 needs to play nicely with this graphics adapter.

• 26. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                                            chris Wagter

Hi there, I Have the same problem when I start Photoshop CC it's crashed.

I have update my video drivers NVIDIA Corp NVS 2100M/PCI2/SSE2, run photoshop as administrator and still crashed all the time. Is there some one to help me

(run on windows7)

regards Chris

• 27. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                                              dennis2651 Level 1

So, Full Disclosure: Dell OptiPlex 9010 and AMD Radeon HD 7570 with Dual Monitors, i7 with 32GB RAM. The "Official" current AMD drivers will not install on the Dell OEM version of the Radeon 7570. 

Per the experience and advice of others on this thread, I installed the BETA version 14.6 AMD Catalyst software and it did indeed install and allow PS CC 2014 to load and run.  However, 14.6 Beta  has proven unstable and my entire PC has Blue-screened 4 times since installing two days ago. I have owned this PC for almost 2-years and cannot recall EVER having a BlueScreen crash before this week. (Really!)

So, the GOOD NEWS is the issue has definitely been diagnosed as an issue with the graphics card;  the BAD news is that for right now (at least for me) the AMD Beta driver (which is the only driver besides the outdated/unsupported Dell drivers that will install) is unstable.

So for now, my options are:

1. Live with the crashing (unlikely)

2. Reinstall the Dell Drivers, Uninstall cc 2014 and live with CS6 and previous CC Versions (Likely)

3.Hope Adobe issues a patch (Unlikely, but also frustrating since EVERY OTHER Adobe product I have works with this graphics card/Dell driver combination!)

4.Wait for and hope AMD's next official release is more stable than the Beta 14.6 AND will install on the Dell OEM HD 7570 (possible)

5.Pony up for a new Graphics Card (Possible, but given the fact the card I have now is on the Adobe "acceptable" list, would be concerned about running into this again somewhere down the road)

All in all, have spent more time on this than the new CC 2014 features warrant for me personally.  Really kind of disappointed at the  lack of Adobe response since this has been such a widespread problem with this release. 

• 28. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                                                Noel Carboni Level 8

Have you tried all the alternate settings in the Edit - Preferences - Performance - Advanced Settings menu?  You have to close and restart Photoshop after making changes there.

You should let ATI (AMD) know that they have a new blue screen problem, and another option might be to watch for a new beta release from them.  Not every beta version they release is unstable.

-Noel

• 29. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                                                  dennis2651 Level 1

I did forward a copy of the crash dump to AMD, and yes I am hopeful that the next beta or RC will be more stable for my situation.

So, after creating a safety backup image of my primary partition, I have been trying to isolate the conditions which trigger the blue screen.

I cannot honestly say I have tried EVERY possible PS Performance combination.  But I have changed the drawing mode to basic, and unchecked "Use Graphics Processor to Accelerate Computation”, and unchecked "Use OpenCL”.   I experience blue screens with multiple performance settings, but I have not tried all of them….yet   If you could suggest any specific setting I should play with, please let me know.

I have noticed that if PS CC 2014 is started when I have no other programs running, I have not yet bluescreened. To expand on information I omitted previously, the blue screens I experience happen immediately or within seconds of PS startup, whether it is called from LR5 or started up independently. I frequently have several other programs running concurrently; MS-Outlook, Visio, Photomatix, VmWare, etc. and have not been able to replicate the crashing when no other programs are running except for Lightroom and Photoshop.  The blue screens are definitely triggered by PS startup, but if I can figure out the previously running program combinations which contribute to the crashing, I can probably modify my work habits for the time being.  That would probably suffice until the hoped-for newer version of the Catalyst software is available.

• 30. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                                                    Noel Carboni Level 8

I was going to suggest the Basic setting, but it sounds like you tried it already.  This runs a fair bit less stuff on the GPU.

It might be a good idea, just to be SURE you're giving it as good a try as you can, to reboot after setting the Drawing Mode to Basic.

-Noel

• 31. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                                                      Cynthia D

to dennis2651

Your post was so perfect I have copied it with my changes. Please forgive, I have wasted so much time on this problem I am at my wits end.

So, Full Disclosure: Dell XPS 8500 and AMD Radeon HD 7570 with Dual Monitors, i7 with 16 GB RAM. The "Official" current AMD drivers will not install on the Dell OEM version of the Radeon 7570. 

Per the experience and advice of others on this thread, I installed the BETA version 14.6 AMD Catalyst software and it DID NOT recognize my graphics card.  (With your blue screen experience-maybe it was better that way) I reinstalled lasted Dell site drivers (which work well for all programs except PS 2014)

So, the GOOD NEWS is the issue has definitely been diagnosed as an issue with the graphics card;  the BAD news is that for right now (at least for me) no updated drivers exist.

So for now, my options are:

1.Continue a creative cloud subscription where InDesign 2014, Premiere Pro 2014, Audition 2014 work, but my live-in all day application Photoshop, cannot be updated!

2.Hope Adobe issues a patch (Unlikely, but also frustrating since EVERY OTHER Adobe product I have works with this graphics card/Dell driver combination!)

3.Pony up for a new Graphics Card (Possible, but given the fact the card I have now is on the Adobe "acceptable" list, would be concerned about running into this again somewhere down the road). Plus, after three hours of research for a new graphics card I ran in to tons of gotcha's (including Bios problems and needing a larger power supply). I just don't have the time or luxury to put my main computer out of service.

4.The reason I bought into the cloud subscription idea was because as a professional artist, I need to send files to clients and know I am up to date with my programs. This is now impossible for me where photoshop 2014 is concerned.

5.I, also, am very disappointed at the  lack of Adobe response since this has been such a widespread problem with this release.

• 32. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                                                        Level 7

The only widespread problem we've seen is where people have not updated their video drivers - and even then, it's maybe 1% of users seeing a problem.

Your situation sounds different - like you might have a configuration that messes up the driver, or a bad video card that cause you to bluescreen.

But the fact that you are seeing bluescreens means that the problem is not with the application - because applications cannot cause bluescreens.  They can only encounter existing bugs in drivers, the OS, or hardware that cause the bluescreen.

• 33. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                                                          Cynthia D Level 1

To Chris Cox

Thanks for getting back to us, but please be aware that ,as I stated in my post, I do not have a blue screen problem.  Like everyone else with a Dell computer, Dell only stands behind the drivers they alone provide.  I am satisfied with said driver, except, that Photoshop 2014 will not remain open.  All other past and present Adobe programs  work extremely well, so if I have a configuration problem, why does it not affect my other adobe programs?   This computer is dedicated to art and the only programs installed are from  adobe, plus Poser 2010, Microsoft office, McAfee security.

• 34. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                                                            dennis2651 Level 1

Hi Chris,

I really want to find a resolution, rather than start a debate, but:

1. If there are millions of CC subscribers, 1% being affected would seem to be a significant number, don't you agree?  What percentage of affected users would be sufficient to have the programmers take a look at the problem?

2. There is no doubt the Beta AMD video card driver is causing the bluescreens.  But, the Beta version was/is a workaround to get CC 2014 to load!! The point is that the latest OFFICIAL PUBLIC released driver does NOT allow PS CC 2014 to load!  Furthermore, since the official current public graphics driver works with EVERY OTHER ADOBE PRODUCT BUT CC 2014, this would seem to be sloppy coding by  Adobe, don't you think?

3.   With the historic bi-annual CS updates, the "blame-it-on-your-old-hardware" argument was a little easier to swallow, but I am barely 6-months aboard the CC train.  I guess my real concern when we were (forced?) to convert to CC,  is that when we were paying hundreds of dollars for PS ( I have owned EVERY version since 2002) we had more of a voice when problems like this occurred.  Now, since it is $9.99 mo., it may be a little easier for Adobe to shrug their shoulders when problems occur. That's not a great feeling.  Individually, I can live for a while without having the latest version installed. And hey, it's free, right?  Unfortunately, so far for me it's been worth every penny.

4. I am not giving up seeking a resolution, but as with Cynthia D, if my ultimate resolution requires the purchase of a new Graphics Adaptor, how do I know which one to purchase and be sure it will work, and for how long? As noted, my current adaptor already is approved by Adobe. 

Chris, I apologize if the above seems a bit harsh, and I am extremely grateful for the help the folks on this forum provided. I also do not mean to attack you personally. I am sure your comments were intended to inform and educate. But, when a new version of software is released that is problematic for many users (google it), defending the application or minimizing the problem and the affected number of users is not reassuring. 

• 35. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                                                              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your card is already a couple years old and doesn't appear on the Radeon HD 7xxx series lists, anymore, on AMD's current graphics card listings when you select drivers.

You might try working backwards through the previous Catalyst versions to see if one is old enough to support your card and new enough to support what Adobe's CC 2014 is asking it to do:

Previous AMD Catalyst™ Display Drivers

I'd try the 13.4 from May 2013, first, since that is about the time that PS CC came out. 

• 36. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                                                                Noel Carboni Level 8

ssprengel wrote:

Your card is already a couple years old and doesn't appear on the Radeon HD 7xxx series lists, anymore, on AMD's current graphics card listings when you select drivers.

I'm not sure that's entirely accurate.  It's a member of the 7000 series, which is still current, e.g., on this page:

Downloads

-Noel

• 37. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                                                                  Cynthia D Level 1

Thank you so much for trying to help.  At some time in the future I will try it out.  I had a bad experience  after attempting to put the ATI 14.6 beta on. I finally had to restore the computer  to backtrack to a usable driver . I am mildly computer literate, but experiences like that give me more gray hairs.  Also, my art work backs up and I am miserable.  I know the card is two years old, but with $600.00 a year for creative cloud, its the best  I can do.  Just now, I learned how to use the Microsoft event viewer. Big Woop! I ran PS2014,crashed, and found the event log.  It was identical to Emma Gilette's,, except for fault offset being 0x0000000000318460 and faulting process id: 0xlec4 (what ever that means).

I am concerned that Dell states the only drivers that work on there systems are from there site only.  All forum users that tried the ATI 14.4 stable release, were out of luck. And, of course, the beta release 14.6 didn't recognize my radeon hd 7570,  I would never usually put beta, anything, on my computer ,but was desperate to have PS2014 with the new content aware upgrades.  My XPS 8500 tower computer just flies with PS cc.  I can work with 600 dpi 14x17 scanned art. My HP 17 inch laptop just chocked.

So, maybe someone reading this forum will give your suggestion a try, while I'm recovering my sanity!  Thanks again!

• 38. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                                                                    PedjaK

Hello,

I have to say that I have a same problem with PS CC 2014. But I can't  recognize logical rules in that. What I mean, PS crashes but not every time I started them.

When it crashed it blocked all OS and after that only way hot reset of computer (I don't have BSOD).

My hardware configuration is I7 4500U processor (Integrated Intel 4000 GPU), 8 GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM, NVidia GT 750M 2 Gb DDR5.

All this happens on OS Win 8.1 update 1 x64, with latest drivers for NVidia card.

I tried many things but I can't build a rule which caused PS to crashed. I tried set compatibility to win 7, working OK. Tried to set GPU functions to basic, working OK. Start some 3D application which have intensive GPU using, and after that start PS.

Everything working OK. But, after all this things, without a clear reason, I started PS and it crashed and block all OS. I don't have such experience with any app. (I use many 3D app.). I had only a problem before I installed PS CC 2014 with PS CC 14.1.2 with video card recognition, and because of that sometimes PS crashed but it didn't block all OS. Maybe I am wrong but I mean that more that 1% of users have problems with GPU and PS.

I have to add some too, in experimental function please don't live only option of 200% of resizing of UI (it's to much for 1920x1080 15.7.inch monitor), 100% is much more better (best it will be 50%, 100%, 150%, 200%).

In preferences option UI size (tiny, small, normal, large) not function, all time is tiny after restart. It's a very bad situation in 1920x1080 resolution, all is very very small.

Thanks for your attention. 

• 39. Re: Photoshop CC (2014) crashing on startup
                                                                                      PedjaK Level 1

Hello,

I am again. I installed new  beta ver. of NVidia 750GT driver, but it's not follow me to success. I am made conclusion which circumstance caused PS to crashed. After return from standby regime when I started PS it crashed.

Is it OS issue or driver issue or PS issue I can't concluded?

Maybe someone will help me with suggestions (Adobe technical support or....).

Thanks for all.

1 2 3 Previous Next