17 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2007 10:09 AM by isaacewing

ArgumentError: Error #2025

isaacewing Level 1
      This is ridiculous, why do I keep getting this error. I can't even find any information on the internet about it... i searched Google for 'flash cs3 error 2025' and it pulls 149 English pages. What does this error mean, how do I fix it and how do i prevent it. Also, I was wondering what are some best practices for using the debug console in Flash.

PS - I am using Adobe Flash CS3 Professional...
      the error comes after i enter frame 40. there is nothing in there except a single text input component. I have tried to remove all code, and it still pops up. I deleted all other frames except this one and it fixed it but i don't know why it was there. hmmm, the error message is...
        • 1. Re: ArgumentError: Error #2025
          Rothrock Level 5
          I have no idea. What is the code around there where you've got a DisplayObject and the getChildIndex and all?
          • 2. ArgumentError: Error #2025
            isaacewing Level 1
            there is no code... i took everything out except the movieclip instance... then that still showed up (it only shows that when i use the tab key to move from one textinput component to the next). if i don't use that then it doest reveal that message. also, when i removed the moveclip in the previous frame it doesnt have that error if i use the tab key. any ideas?
            • 3. Re: ArgumentError: Error #2025
              Rothrock Level 5
              So you are using componets? Are you sure that the component is AS3 compatible? I seem to recall that many of the components aren't AS3.
              • 4. Re: ArgumentError: Error #2025
                isaacewing Level 1
                yeah, in flash cs3 there is an automatic conversion from within the component library for flash. when you select a new document it has two fla files to choose from, the flash file with as2 or flash with as3. the component library is then updated automatically upon creation of your new flash document creating the components that are as3 compatible or as2 compatible. i HATE as3, i honestly think adobe prematurely released flash so they could start selling the whole macromedia/adobe packages. everything just seems like it is half-assed, you know what i mean.
                • 5. Re: ArgumentError: Error #2025
                  isaacewing Level 1
                  WHERE did this error come from, how do i fix it, does anyone know, i CANT restart this project and recreate it with Actionscript 2.0 that is unrealastic. Is there an Adobe person anywhere that can help me with this?
                  • 6. Re: ArgumentError: Error #2025
                    Rothrock Level 5
                    If you have no code that you put in your file, then it must come from some code in the components.

Exactly what is the bare minimum setup that is required to make this happen? I've put some text input components on the stage and I don't get this error. What else are you using?

Really though, the question is why are you using AS3 and components. Just because they are out doesn't mean it is a good idea to do anything critical with them until the bugs and all have been worked out. Components are really a no-no for any professional work in my opinion. There are bugs from the components that were in Flash 7 that never got worked out. Eventually they were well understood and could be worked around, but…

• 7. Re: ArgumentError: Error #2025
                      isaacewing Level 1
                      Well, I can send you the files, they are setup as follows.

network.fla -> hooked up for as3 and calls network class (network.as)

from the network class, there are tons of seperate packages/classes that feed into the network class. this calls public functions which call their own private functions which have links for the class variables.

if you think it would help, i will put the whole thing into a rar file which will be at the following address...

http://network.isaacewing.com/rar/network.rar

let me know what you think..

ps - i think you might be on to something with the actual components linking to the problem. when i deleted one from the stage the problem was solved (that movieclip instance was the part3_mov) and when i replaced it and removed part3_mov the same thing happened, the problem was solved so the only thing i can think is that your assumption of the code within the movieclip is correct.
                      • 8. Re: ArgumentError: Error #2025
                        isaacewing Level 1
                        PLEASE GUYSSSSSS, can you help me solve this, I am new to as3 and this is vexing me.
                        • 9. Re: ArgumentError: Error #2025
                          Rothrock Level 5
                          Sorry, but this is something that will take hours of hard, mind numbing work – most likely without a solution other than, "Don't use components."

At this stage in the game we are all pretty much at the same level in our knowledge of AS3 and its components. This is your opportunity to become the AS component expert.

I've only ever poked at components a bit, so I'm not sure of everything I'm telling you here. But the uncompiled .as files for the components should be installed somewhere in your system. You can open them and inspect them and see if you can find what is causing the problem. I completely forget how to recompile them, but there should be some tutorial on the web someplace.

Be sure to only work on copies and to not overwrite your original component files (or at least keep a backup copy some place.) or you're likely to end up worse off that when you started.
                          • 10. Re: ArgumentError: Error #2025
                            isaacewing Level 1
                            man that stinks, all right, i guess i will go through everything... i was reading one of your posts about you using the debug console in flash. i have actually never used that but i am guessing that will be the best way to figure out the remedy to what is causing this problem. any clues, help or assistance you could offer about that would be very appreciated. i consider myself a very good programmer in flash....... in flash with as2 haha, but even still i have never actually used the debug feature. i am not sure why but i guess now is a better time than ever to start. what do you think and any advice... it looks a little perplexing.
                            • 11. Re: ArgumentError: Error #2025
                              Level 7
                              I was unable to access the rar file. Does that have an example of the bare
                              minimum needed to cause this error as Rothrock requested?

"isaacewing" <ie@isaacewing.com> wrote in message
                              news:f22m5c$o3j$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > man that stinks, all right, i guess i will go through everything... i was
                              > reading one of your posts about you using the debug console in flash. i
                              > have
                              > actually never used that but i am guessing that will be the best way to
                              > figure
                              > out the remedy to what is causing this problem. any clues, help or
                              > assistance
                              > you could offer about that would be very appreciated. i consider myself a
                              > very
                              > good programmer in flash....... in flash with as2 haha, but even still i
                              > have
                              > never actually used the debug feature. i am not sure why but i guess now
                              > is a
                              > better time than ever to start. what do you think and any advice... it
                              > looks a
                              > little perplexing.
                              >

• 12. Re: ArgumentError: Error #2025
                                Rothrock Level 5
                                Yeah, I'm not trying to be cold. It is just that I personally have never used components and never plan to do so. Therefore I really don't want to invest the time to figure out a bunch of stuff related to them.

If you post back with questions I'm happy to give you whatever advice or pointers I can come up with.

I hope you understand.
                                • 13. ArgumentError: Error #2025
                                  isaacewing Level 1
                                  haha i am sorry Trevor McCauley, i took it down becuase i did not anticipate any further assistance however i will be more than happy to put it back up. i have updated it since my last post however the error is still there... this includes the flash project file, all as files and the flash document. it is very thorough and i hope the layout is easy to understand... man i hope that helps thank you in advance for anything you could offer and i am very greatful for the help.

the link has been updated (well i just put the rar file back online)
                                  http://network.isaacewing.com/rar/network.rar

ps - for anybody that downloads my files... when you look through them... could you ***** the validity of my code, the organization and the overall layout in the back of your mind... meaning could you be as brutally honest as possible about what you think about how i program... is it structured, clean, organized, robust, and so on... any feedback on that would be ... meaningful and i would like to know what you guys think!
                                  • 14. Re: ArgumentError: Error #2025
                                    isaacewing Level 1
                                    hey trevor, i forgot to ask, what do you mean about the 'bare minimum' request. i do not understand what you or rothrock were talking about. i did not mean to ignore that question and i am sorry if i came across as rude. could one of you clarify that for me and i will be more than happy to answer that. thank you .
                                    • 15. Re: ArgumentError: Error #2025
                                      Level 7
                                      It means taking out any unnecessary elements in the project that have no
                                      affect on the error. Having a bunch of other things in there (for me)
                                      requires that I consider those elements as a possible cause of the error and
                                      try to debug the error based on everything that's available. The more there
                                      is to consider, the harder it is to debug and the more likely I won't even
                                      try ;) The simpler you can make the project while still being able to
                                      produce the error means a greater likeliness that a) you'll get help and b)
                                      a reason/solution will actually be found.

news:f23es9$l5h$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      > hey trevor, i forgot to ask, what do you mean about the 'bare minimum'
                                      > request.
                                      > i do not understand what you or rothrock were talking about. i did not
                                      > mean
                                      > to ignore that question and i am sorry if i came across as rude. could
                                      > one of
                                      > you clarify that for me and i will be more than happy to answer that.
                                      > thank
                                      > you .
                                      >

• 16. Re: ArgumentError: Error #2025
                                        Level 7
                                        All right, so I downloaded the file and its not looking good. A simpler
                                        version of the error would be appreciated :) (also be sure not to have any
                                        absolute paths in the classpath or references in the publish settings to
                                        folders that don't exist etc.)

news:f23es9$l5h$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                        > hey trevor, i forgot to ask, what do you mean about the 'bare minimum'
                                        > request.
                                        > i do not understand what you or rothrock were talking about. i did not
                                        > mean
                                        > to ignore that question and i am sorry if i came across as rude. could
                                        > one of
                                        > you clarify that for me and i will be more than happy to answer that.
                                        > thank
                                        > you .
                                        >

• 17. Re: ArgumentError: Error #2025
                                          isaacewing Level 1
                                          hey trevor, i was looking through the files and i think the error is in part 3. the reason i have not skimmed down the files and actionscript is because the error does not show up correctly... i will go through it today and test it and if i have the same error i will start to delete any additional parts and just retain the instance and code that is generating the error. sometime tomorrow i will have the revised version uploaded.