11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2014 1:11 PM by A.T. Romano

no sound in premier elements 7

timothy72 Level 1

I have been working on a video and added music. There was sound at that time.  When I came back to it the sound was no longer there.  The speakers are fine as I can play music on the computer.  Any suggestions for getting the music to play on the video?

• 1. Re: no sound in premier elements 7
          A.T. Romano Level 7

timothy72

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 7 running on?

"When you came back to it"....does that mean that you save/close/reopen the project or just left it opened or opened but minimized on the computer?

When you were last working on the project, where was the project's audio:

a. only the numbered audio tracks

b. only Narration Track

c. only Soundtrack

d. some combination of the above...please detail if applicable.

When you returned to this project, what was the track situation then with regard to sound?

Did you add to the project any narration from the program's Narration Tool?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: no sound in premier elements 7
            timothy72 Level 1

My computer system is vista.  I deleted the sound from the video, then added music to the soundtrack.  The music was playing before I closed it.  I then completely closed out the video.  I made a copy of the video on the computer, and the sound plays there.  When I opened up PE again to add narration, there was no sound at all.  I tried adding the music again, but still no sound.

• 3. Re: no sound in premier elements 7
              A.T. Romano Level 7

timothy72

I just wanted to make sure of the steps in the scenario. When did the soundtrack sound get lost, before or after you added the narration with the Narration Tool?

Right now there is a problem, so far reported for only version 12/12.1, where there is a loss of sound in the numbered audio tracks and soundtrack when narration is added to the project, using the program's Narration Tool. Please check out the following blog post on the issue and see if any of that applies to your situation.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Audio Losses After Narration Addition

Is the music from iTunes? And, did you use as is or convert it to .mp3 or .wav before import into Premiere Elements 7?

Please allow me to go over the steps that you took to make sure we are OK on the details

(1) Opened a project and imported the video. Then replaced the video's audio with your music. You say that you completely closed out of the video. What did you do? Did you save close the project at that point? Or, did you go to the export area to export the video with its new audio? That is where I am losing you as it relates to what you next wrote

I made a copy of the video on the computer, and the sound plays there.What did you do next to make a copy of the video on the computer...

Bottom lines on where I am heading

a. Did you maybe not save changes that you made in the Timeline editing?

b. Are you involved in this sound loss with addition of narration from the program's Narration Tool?

Please review, consider, and then we will try to gather all the information to finalize our troubleshooting strategy.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: no sound in premier elements 7
                timothy72 Level 1

Thank you for your response.

I have been working on the project for several weeks.  There were times when it took several trys to get it to re-open.  I would get the "Sorry, a serious error etc).  When I was finally able to get it to re-open I worked on it, muted the original sound and added my own music from my computer.  Because of the problem I had in re-opening it I saved the project in PE, then saved it to my computer. (which is why I know the sound is there).   When I re-opened the project (it also took several trys) to add narration was when I discovered that there was no sound from the music.  I had wanted to add narration, but when I tried to that there was no sound either.

I have been using PE 7 for several years, and this is the first time I have had problems.  Is it possible that it is getting old, and needs to be replaced?

• 5. Re: no sound in premier elements 7
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

timpthy72

Right now I am down playing the Premiere Elements 7 "getting old, and needs to be replaced..."

Let us recap

1. Is this issue confined to this one particular project? Or, are you seeing this with several (or all) of your recent projects?

2. If this is an issue confined to this one project, then I am thinking that we need to look deeper into the Timeline content

and especially the audio contributions to it.

a. You say that you wanted to replace original music and you did that my muting the original and adding your own music.

How did you mute the audio? And what happened if you deleted the unwanted audio and replaced it with your music?

If this is iTunes music with which you are dealing, have you taken it into iTunes to convert it into the .wav version and then

imported that .wav into the project?

3. We could try some maneuvers of deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file or the 7.0 Folder in which it exists.

We could determine if the audio card driver is up to date. We could do a program uninstall/ccleaner run through/reinstall.

But our troubleshooting strategy needs to be developed from the above.

Let us consider the above and background for the issue before we think version 12.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 6. Re: no sound in premier elements 7
                    timothy72 Level 1

Thank you.

The problems have only been with this particular project.  Up until now everything was fine.  It has only been with this project that I started getting the error message, and had a difficult time bringing it up.

I muted the original sound by lowering the yellow line in the timeline so no sound from the original movie could be heard.  Then I went to "add media", and got music from the file "Music" on my computer. That was what I added to the movie.  The music was there when I closed it out.

• 7. Re: no sound in premier elements 7
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

timothy72

What you might want to try, maybe using a copy of the problem project, is to right click the original movie with its original linked audio still in tact, and then select Delete Audio from the pop up menu that appears after the right click. Then import your replacement audio.

Are you working in the Timeline or Sceneline workspace of Premiere Elements 7? I have assumed Timeline workspace. If Timeline, if you have not already, switch from Timeline workspace to Sceneline and see if the problem exists there when you import your audio to the Soundtrack there. And, also determine if there is no problem in the Timeline workspace after the addition has been made in Sceneline workspace instead of Timeline first.

(Also look at different tracks - numbered audio track versus soundtrack)

It will be interesting to see if the audio remains in tact after a save close of the project with the above workflow.

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: no sound in premier elements 7
                        timothy72 Level 1

Thank you.

I have tried all of the above, and still no sound.  You mentioned an uninstall/cleaner/.  Is that different from just going to the control panel and doing an uninstall?   I think I might try that.

• 9. Re: no sound in premier elements 7
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

timothy72

The sequence would be

a. uninstall the usual Control Panel Route

b. ccleaner run through (that should get rid of any leftovers from incomplete uninstalls and reinstalls)

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

You would do the cleaner and registry parts of the ccleaner.

What you may want to do before it comes to the above is to delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and/or

the complete 7.0 Folder in which it exists. For Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, the path is

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 7.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete

the whole 7.0 Folder in which it exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives

active so that you can see the complete path cited.

So far you have said that your computer operating system is "Vista", not sure if that is 32 bit or 64 bit. I am hoping that the

path cited will be similar to what you have in your Windows Vista computer.

Please let us know if any of the above worked for you to resolve your project's issue.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: no sound in premier elements 7
                            timothy72 Level 1

Thank you so much for all your help.  The movie now has sound again.  I uninstalled the program using the method you explained, and then reinstalled the program.

I really appreciate how much time you spent helping me.  Thank you again.

• 11. Re: no sound in premier elements 7
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

timothy72

Thanks for the follow up with the great news that your Premiere Elements issue is resolved. Great job on the follow through of the troubleshooting details.

We were glad for the opportunity to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to ask questions and to ask for clarification.

Best wishes

ATR