2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2014 10:43 AM by pborgetphoto

I can't get clipping mask to work

pborgetphoto

I'm adding stars to the sky.  I did this by making a custom brush and painting on a blank layer above my image layer.  To make it look more realistic I want to add a bit of color.  So I add a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and colorize to get the desired hue.  This is where I run into trouble.  I only want the adjustment layer to affect the stars I painted on and not the rest of the image so I apply a clipping mask to the Hue/Saturation layer (which is directly above my stars layer.)  When I do this the color disappears completely and does not affect any part of the image.  Any ideas why this isn't working?  I also had the same problem when I applied a Brightness/Contrast adjustment layer.  I have Photoshop CC (same issue is present in both the 2014 and previous versions) for Mac.

• 1. Re: I can't get clipping mask to work
          Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you post a before and after screen shot, including your layer panel?  Were the stars changed with the adjustment layer prior to clipping?  If they were just pure white, sometimes adjustment layers don't do much.

• 2. Re: I can't get clipping mask to work
            pborgetphoto Level 1

This is my desired end effect.  I worked around it by creating a layer mask from the stars layer but the clipping mask not working is still an issue.

Screen Shot 2014-06-20 at 1.12.44 PM.png

I created new Hue/Saturation layers and put them above the stars layer.  The adjustment layer changes the color of the entire image including the stars. 

Screen Shot 2014-06-20 at 1.14.26 PM.png

Once I clip the layers none of the image is affected, not even the stars, when it should be affecting only the stars. 

Screen Shot 2014-06-20 at 1.14.56 PM.png