7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2014 5:01 PM by greenchesspiece

After Effects CC crashes PC (BSOD) using Gradient Ramp effect

greenchesspiece

I've done it three times now to make sure, but whenever I make a solid layer and add the gradient ramp effect, and then change the color, it gives me a BSOD. I've had some BSOD issues while using AE for various reasons, and I've gone through solutions considering disk cache, Open GL rendering, multi-core processing, etc. I'm pretty sure I need to replace a piece of hardware, as each BSOD is indicating such, but I've had a hard time determining which. I should note that going to the color palette for something like text doesn't give this issue. So far it's been for the solid layer and gradient ramp. Note that I've also used other plugins, such as Element 3D and Keylight and such without a problem.

I recently signed up for CC so I haven't yet uninstalled CS6, and I'm doing that as I write this.

My computer is running 64-bit Windows 7, has updated drivers for PSU, ram tested healthy, GPU driver updated, and more. My RAM is 16 GB DDR3 1666 GHz, Processor is AMD Six-Core Phenom 2, GPU is Geforce 470 GTX, and I'm running standard 7200 rpm disk drives. I have intentions to update all of the hardware over time, so I'm wondering if maybe a switch to Intel or an updated GPU might be helpful.

Thanks!

Katie

• 1. Re: After Effects CC crashes PC (BSOD) using Gradient Ramp effect
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Provide the crash info from the Event Viewer.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After Effects CC crashes PC (BSOD) using Gradient Ramp effect
            greenchesspiece Level 1

20140619_222722.jpg

Here is the BSOD info. How do I access the Event Viewer crash info?

• 3. Re: After Effects CC crashes PC (BSOD) using Gradient Ramp effect
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Start Menu --> All Programs --> System Tools --> Event Viewer. Your photo shows a "Stop" event type, which is pretty severe. So in fact Windows has halted all code execution crashed itself for security reasons to prevent something terrible. Most likely you have an incompatible driver or this is some weird math processing issue at the processor level...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: After Effects CC crashes PC (BSOD) using Gradient Ramp effect
                greenchesspiece Level 1
                -System

-Provider
                [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
                [ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID41
                Version2
                Level1
                Task63
                Opcode0
                Keywords0x8000000000000002
                -TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2014-06-20T03:36:20.388819000Z
                EventRecordID16009
                Correlation
                -Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
                [ ThreadID] 8
                ChannelSystem
                ComputerHelios
                -Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18
                -EventData

BugcheckCode292
                BugcheckParameter10x0
                BugcheckParameter20xfffffa800f208028
                BugcheckParameter30xb66cc000
                BugcheckParameter40x1c000175
                SleepInProgressfalse
                PowerButtonTimestamp0

I exported the information and uploaded it to my Dropbox for download: Dropbox - BSOD-Katie.zip

Let me know if I need to give any more information Thank you!

• 5. Re: After Effects CC crashes PC (BSOD) using Gradient Ramp effect
                  promonk

A "stop 0x124" is fundamentally different to many other types of bluescreens because it stems from a hardware complaint. Stop 0x124 minidumps contain very little practical information, and it is therefore necessary to approach the problem as a case of hardware in an unknown state of distress.

Troubleshooting Strategy:

1)Ensure that none of the hardware components are overclocked. Hardware that is driven beyond its design specifications - by overclocking - can malfunction in unpredictable ways.

2)Ensure that the machine is adequately cooled. If there is any doubt, open up the side of the PC case (be mindful of any relevant warranty conditions!) and point a mains fan squarely at the motherboard. That will rule out most (lack of) cooling issues.

3) Update all hardware-related drivers: video, sound, RAID (if any), NIC... anything that interacts with a piece of hardware. It is good practice to run the latest drivers anyway.

4)Update the motherboard BIOS according to the manufacturer's instructions. Their website should provide detailed instructions as to the brand and model-specific procedure.

5)Rarely, bugs in the OS may cause "false positive" 0x124 events where the hardware wasn't complaining but Windows thought otherwise (because of the bug). At the time of writing, Windows 7 is not known to suffer from any such defects, but it is nevertheless important to always keep Windows itself updated.

6)Attempt to (stress) test those hardware components which can be put through their paces artificially. The most obvious examples are the RAM and HDD(s). For the RAM, use the in-built memory diagnostics (run MDSCHED) or the 3rd-party memtest86 utility to run many hours worth of testing. For hard drives, check whether CHKDSK /R finds any problems on the drive(s), notably "bad sectors". Unreliable RAM, in particular, is deadly as far as software is concerned, and anything other than a 100% clear memory test result is cause for concern. Unfortunately, even a 100% clear result from the diagnostics utilities does not guarantee that the RAM is free from defects - only that none were encountered during the test passes.

7) As the last of the non-invasive troubleshooting steps, perform a "vanilla" reinstallation of Windows: just the OS itself without any additional applications, games, utilities, updates, or new drivers -NOTHING AT ALL that is not sourced from the Windows 7 disc. Should that fail to mitigate the 0x124 problem, jump to the next steps. Otherwise, if you run the "vanilla" installation long enough to convince yourself that not a single 0x124 crash has occurred, start installing updates and applications slowly, always pausing between successive additions long enough to get a feel for whether the machine is still free from 0x124 crashes. Should the crashing resume, obviously the very last software addition(s) may be somehow linked to the root cause.                                                                                                                                           

Download the memtest86+ utility from the net and follow the instructions listed at https://kickass.to/memtest86-5-01-usb-installer-zip-t8084123.html#main. Then, it will scan your RAM and report errors.

Now, download WhoCrashed from the net, run a dump file check and it usually reports in legible language what caused the problem. For example, GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_CACHE.

To test your CPU, use Prime95. I think all these will surely help you in some ways.

• 6. Re: After Effects CC crashes PC (BSOD) using Gradient Ramp effect
                    greenchesspiece Level 1

1. I do have overclocking software, but I never use it. To be sure, I closed my EVGA Precision and other auto-start-at-boot items that MAY confuse AE.

2. I just added 3 fans to my PC and lowered the temperature by over 10 degrees celsius. It stopped BSOD during intense games, but I don't think the opening of a color palette would overheat the machine. I'm assuming it's something else.

3. Drivers are all updated. I use a GeForce app that auto-updates, and I have all my windows updates. I also updated my BIOS and processor driver after these BSODs began.

4. BIOS is updated.

5. Windows is updated.

6. I have stress tested my RAM, Processor, and GPU with no problems.

Kforce Government Solutions (KGS) is an innovative technology and professional services provider specializing in Information Technology solutions and comprehensive mission and business support services. KGS employs over 3,500 employees in 63 offices across North America.

7. I did a vanilla reinstall about two months back when AE kept BSODing. It seemed to be working finally until just recently when this issue popped up.

The thing is, AE has recently done some great work on projects, so this BSOD is random. I can't ever really pinpoint its cause. It happens during games, programs, or sometimes just during web browsing (but not often). It seems to be focused around heavy use of either the processor, ram, or GPU, but I've stress tested all of those and nothing fixes it. I've got two macbook pros, one from 2011 and another 2014 for work, and I have been using those with no problems. My Phenom II x6 is very old, so I'm considering upgrading to an i7 and getting a new motherboard and fresh-installing Windows - again - and also adding a new GPU.

Does anyone know any details as to what might be the most likely culprit? I might replace Processor, Ram, and Motherboard all at once with a Quadro just to do a clean work-focused computer, and then rebuild my old one into a gaming powerhouse for the living room, but if I can just replace one part that'd be smartest I think.

• 7. Re: After Effects CC crashes PC (BSOD) using Gradient Ramp effect
                      greenchesspiece Level 1

As an update, the BSOD is now happening in Photoshop. I was editing a RAW image, just the first one, and the system started bogging down before a BSOD. Not sure what Photoshop uses to do RAW editing, either processor or GPU, but another clue to the solution.