5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2014 9:26 PM by Dov Isaacs

How can PDFX-4 Indesign file open in Acrobat and outline the text?

cynthia yap

Can Certified PDFX-4 indesign format file open in acrobat pro then outline the text? Because I need to open it in CS6 for final output to CTP with text outline, thx

• 1. Re: How can PDFX-4 Indesign file open in Acrobat and outline the text?
          tman69 Level 3

you cant open a PDF with Indesign--but you can 'place' it into indesign.

dont know why you need to outline text--but--IF the fonts are embedded--you should be able to open it with Illustrator and then convert text to outlines

if fonts are not embedded you are outta luck unless you have the fonts--note: converting text to outlines will remove/destroy any effects that have been used (like drop shadows and such).

• 2. Re: How can PDFX-4 Indesign file open in Acrobat and outline the text?
            Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Your posting is a bit confusing.

When you say you have a “certified PDF/X-4 InDesign format file” are you referring to a .indd file (InDesign format) or a .pdf file exported from InDesign using the PDF/X-4 export settings?

If the former, you can outline text and then export.

If the latter (i.e., a .pdf file), there are no native tools in Acrobat Pro for “outlining text.” There are third party plug-ins that can do this, but not Acrobat itself.

Furthermore, why in the world would you want to outline text for CTP? I know of absolutely no CTP system and certainly not any that would accept PDF/X-4 that are incapable of RIPing text realized via fonts embedded in the PDF file. Plus, outlining text can significantly bloat PDF file size, increase RIP time, and yield significantly lower text quality.

- Dov

• 3. Re: How can PDFX-4 Indesign file open in Acrobat and outline the text?
              cynthia yap Level 1

Hi:

Thx for reply, I have a PDFX-4 Indesign file which I have no font, so I

decide to open it in acrobat pro and wish to outlined the font, because I

need to open the pdf file in CS6 illustration finally to process to CTP,

please advise, thx.

Regards,

cynthia

• 4. Re: Re: How can PDFX-4 Indesign file open in Acrobat and outline the text?

On behalf of Adobe Systems Incorporated:

Adobe Illustrator is not, repeat not, repeat once again not a general purpose PDF file editor. The only PDF files that Adobe Illustrator can safely edit are PDF files saved from Adobe Illustrator using the “save for editability” option. Otherwise, you risk font substitutions, color space changes (Illustrator only supports one color space at a time), color changes, and either lost or transformed graphic objects.

Plus, regardless of whether fonts are embedded in the PDF file, Illustrator requires the actual font to be installed on the system Illustrator is running on. It never attempts to use the any fonts embedded in the PDF file.

We speak from experience on this subject. One of the greatest sources of prepress problems that we hear about here at Adobe can be traced to prepress personnel who try to “fix things” in any old PDF file by opening the PDF file in Illustrator and resaving, even if they make no explicit changes.

Our original advice stands. There is no need for such outlining of text for CTP RIP operations. The only case where we have heard of such a requirement where there was some validity to the request were in situations where a sign cutting machine that could only accept vector commands was being driven by a retrograde RIP that wasn't intelligent enough to derive the vectors from the font definitions in the PDF file. CTP is certainly not that same type of situation! Most often, such so-called requirements for outlining text comes from uninformed prepress personnel relying on advice from even more poorly informed co-workers (I dare not call them professionals).

- Dov

• 5. Re: Re: How can PDFX-4 Indesign file open in Acrobat and outline the text?

An InDesign file cannot be opened in Acrobat Pro, period!

There is no such thing as a PDF/X-4 InDesign file!

- Dov