5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2014 1:59 PM by Obi-wan Kenobi

First line not wrapping around an anchored frame

Paolo Tramannoni Level 1

Hello Everybody,

In InDesign CS6, I'm using anchored frames to insert some images running on the side of paragraphs. This is what I want to do:

textwrapping.png

Frames have custom positioning, placed to the right relative to the text frame. Text wrapping is allowed for the surrounding text frame. However, when I insert the frame anchor at the beginning or the end of the text paragraph, the first line of the paragraph continues to overlap the ancored frame. The rest of the paragraph is fine, and wraps correctly:

textnotwrapping.png

I've reported this issue before to Adobe, but never heard from them or seen this issue solved, so I would like to ask you if you have any idea on what is going wrong.

Thank you,

Paolo

• 1. Re: First line not wrapping around an anchored frame
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Text wrap works differently fro anchored objects than it does for free-floating, and differently for inline and custom anchors.

For inlines text wrap affects text following the anchor point. For Custom positioned anchors only text in lines following the anchor point are affected. This is by design to prevent endless composition looping when wrap would shift the position of the anchor on the page.

• 2. Re: First line not wrapping around an anchored frame
            Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Paolo – the anchor has to be before the first paragraph you want to wrap.
            You could use a special paragraph before and setting its leading to zero. Just a suggestion…

Uwe

• 3. Re: First line not wrapping around an anchored frame
              Paolo Tramannoni Level 1

Thank you both for answering.

Peter, this is what I was fearing. I never found looping issues with FrameMaker, where adding this type of anchored frame was an everyday task. I really wonder what made InDesign different.

Laubender, inserting the anchor in a paragraph preceeding the anchored frame position is what I did (as in the first example I reported). Frankly, I find this solution far from the ideal one. Frames running on the side of a paragraphs are as old as marginalia on codices. I'm shocked to discover that Adobe thinks this is an exception.

I don't follow the logic. I don't want to anchor it to the previous paragraph, but to the current one. Having to add a 'hidden' paragraph before the one I want to attach an object to is tricky and might led to errors.

Thanx!

Paolo

• 4. Re: First line not wrapping around an anchored frame
                Paolo Tramannoni Level 1

On a second thought, I think that keeping the anchored frame on a separate paragraph could have advantages, since you can manage it separately from the referring text.

However, even reducing the font size to 0.1pt and the leading to 0pt, with no space before or after the paragraph, no space before the following paragraph, seems to leave some noticeable space before the referring paragraph:

spacebefore.png

I wonder if there is some other parameter to look for, to reduce this space to zero.

Paolo

• 5. Re: First line not wrapping around an anchored frame
                  Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

What I do is apply 0 leading too to the first para line that follows the anchor (not the line with the anchor) but the line that bothers us.

So I create a special para style with the same current text settings with a difference: joined with the para that follows:

Capture d’écran 2014-06-20 à 22.54.48.png