9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2014 6:37 AM by resdesign

back to version before this 2014

smenegassi Level 1

I don't like at all this new way of doing in Edge 2014.

Coding is much more limited now and unless you are a good coder you will do only basic stuff with this new interface.

It doesn't make anything easier.

Can I go back to the version before this new one.

Thanks,

s.

• 1. Re: back to version before this 2014
          Preran Adobe Employee

Hi smenegassi,

We are sorry to hear that. You have options to install and run two versions of Edge Animate on the same computer. Go to Free Edge Animate CC | Download Adobe Edge Animate free trial and under "In This Version" select the version you want to install. Click the Install button on top after you have made that selection. Let me know if this  helps.

Thanks,

Preran

• 2. Re: back to version before this 2014
            smenegassi Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. I'll keep that possibility in mind. I can see some uses on that new version of the code panel.

Have a nice weekend

• 3. Re: back to version before this 2014
              sarhunt Adobe Employee

Hey smenegassi,

Do you mind letting us know what you find limiting about the coding experience? Want to get your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Sarah

• 4. Re: back to version before this 2014
                resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It takes some time to get used to the new code panel but after using it for quite a while, I can tell you: it is fantastic! I love the fact that you can add your own code snippets too. Whatever you are missing from the previous code panel you can add it there. But still, the rest is super. You have a great way to get the correct scope for any element from anywhere and not just a generic element but the actual one. Just give it some time and you will never want to do without.—

Sent from Mailbox

• 5. Re: back to version before this 2014
                  smenegassi Level 1

Yes I'll give it a try.  I can see some advantages specially related to the scope of nested elements. I guess it will be easier.

I think I ll just use what I like and for the rest I will code outside.

I just think that for  beginners with Javascript (which is my case) it will be harder to dive into coding with that kind of interface. The code has been hidden. The hints have been hidden.

Thanks for your concern.

Have a nice weekend.

• 6. Re: back to version before this 2014
                    smenegassi Level 1

Hi,

Ok. Well first a little of background:

I am not a coder, I am a designer who loves coding….

I started with Flash and AS2 then AS3.

For obvious reason I look towards Edge Animate to try to do the same things I used to do with AS3.

I thought the coding interface on the prior version of Edge, very simple, pretty much like the AS3: we had all this hints -> getChildSymbols(), getComposition() and so on. In my opinion, that way, the interface would give us, no coders, cues to explore and learn.

Now javascript is hidden. I guess it will much more difficult for designers as me, to find his way through javascript. We will have to look more, outside of Edge.

We can't do much without coding. That was true with Flash, that is true with Edge.

Besides that, there are some news thinks very good.

Thanks for your interest.

HAve a nice first week of summer !

• 7. Re: back to version before this 2014
                      SujaiS Adobe Employee

While you navigate the new actions panel, you should see the code generation in commented mode happen in the top editor. The commented code is committed only when you hit enter after choosing the correct targets.

-Sujai

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: back to version before this 2014
                        btaartdirector Level 1

I AGREE!!!

smenegassi wrote:

I don't like at all this new way of doing in Edge 2014.

Coding is much more limited now and unless you are a good coder you will do only basic stuff with this new interface.

It doesn't make anything easier.

Can I go back to the version before this new one.

Thanks,

s.

• 9. Re: back to version before this 2014
                          resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

smebegassi,

As I mentioned earlier, it takes a little time to get used to the new code window but you will get used to it and you will never want to go back to the old one.

Here is what you can do if you want to add the old snippets in version 3.0 (you can have version 3.0 along version 2014);

Open version 3.0 - add all the possible code you are interested in in compositionReady for example.

Copy paste these in a text editor.

Close version 3.0 and open version 2014

• Start a new document
                          • click on Stage/compositionReady
                          • click on button to open the action panel
                          • choose My Snippet
                          • choose the + sign
                          • choose Create New
                          • add any snippet you want and name it what makes sense

Voila! You now have your prefered code in the new version.

1 person found this helpful