7 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2007 7:12 AM by rizien

Navigating to New Scene from Within a Movieclip

rizien Level 1
      I've got Scene1 ("Main Menu"), under one of Main Menu's sub-menus I've got a product list, that menu is all in a Movieclip to navigate around the various submenu's.

Within the movieclip I have product buttons that should go to a Product Specs page, in Scene2 ("Products") each frame is a different product spec page.

On my button within the movieclip in Scene1("Main Menu") I have the code:
      on(press){
      gotoAndStop("Products", 1);
      }

But it just seems to load frame1 of the movieclip, so I tried prefacing the goto with _root. and this. but when I did that the button wouldn't load anything at all.

Any help?
        • 1. Re: Navigating to New Scene from Within a Movieclip
          rizien Level 1
          No body has any ideas? Even a push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, I'm kind of at a stand-still on this project until I can get this to work properly.
          • 2. Re: Navigating to New Scene from Within a Movieclip
            Damon Edwards Level 3
            try _parent. also, is your scene actually named Products, because that's what its looking for
            • 3. Re: Navigating to New Scene from Within a Movieclip
              rizien Level 1
              Yea the scene is named "Products", but I just read this in the Flash Help:

In the final example, the global gotoAndStop() function is used to move the playhead to Frame 1 of Scene 2. If no scene is specified, the playhead goes to the specified frame in the current scene. You can use the scene parameter only on the root timeline, not within timelines for movie clips or other objects in the document.

So is there a work-around for this? Or am I going to have to re-design the layout/workflow/directories/everything i dont want to do?

I feel like the fact that you can't use scene commands within a movieclip or object is pretty weak...
              • 4. Re: Navigating to New Scene from Within a Movieclip
                Damon Edwards Level 3
                well if that's what it says, i'd believe it. try google, but i'm putting my money on having to re-design.
                • 5. Re: Navigating to New Scene from Within a Movieclip
                  liquidleaf
                  try _root.gotoAndStop("Products", 1);

In the example I see in flash, they aren't assigning button scripts like you are, they are assigning them on the main timeline.

So, instead of putting the button behavior directly in a Button script, try setting it on the main timeline like the example from my version of Help.

From help...

Example
                  In the following example, a document has two scenes: sceneOne and sceneTwo. Scene one contains a frame label on Frame 10 called newFrame, and two buttons, myBtn_btn and myOtherBtn_btn. This ActionScript is placed on Frame 1, Scene 1 of the main Timeline:

stop();

myBtn_btn.onRelease = function(){
                  gotoAndStop("newFrame");
                  };

myOtherBtn_btn.onRelease = function(){
                  gotoAndStop("sceneTwo", 1);
                  };

• 6. Re: Navigating to New Scene from Within a Movieclip
                    rizien Level 1
                    Can I use the InstanceName.onRelease = etc, because I tried just replacing myBtn_btn with my button's name, and it didn't work.

Or do I have to assign the button to a variable or function or something else?
                    • 7. Re: Navigating to New Scene from Within a Movieclip
                      rizien Level 1
                      I actually think that no matter where I declare its action, it'll still happen within the MovieClip, because thats where the Button resides.

I guess I'll re-design until some Devs fix the scene/actionscript problems. I was reading on other boards about other people that can't get scenes to work entirely right with actionscript.

Oh well, It'll still work, just be a lot less organized.