3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2014 9:32 AM by Peter Spier

Paragraph reflow

AbrahN

I have to make a one letter change in a styled paragraph which causes no reflow in that paragraph. As soon as I make the change the FOLLOWING paragraph reflows. They are separated with a hard return, the styles are not dependent on one another (not that that should matter), and since the paragraph I making the change to doesn't push a line out there shouldn't be any "Keep" issues… I have found one other section of text that does the same thing (I randomly checked same styled paragraphs and text). If I go back to 2 versions earlier of the same file, I can make this change without having reflow (no changes to styles/preferences have been made). The only thing that is different is that I had upgraded Indesign between versions. What could be causing this? This is a 360+ page book and it's a little nerve-wracking to think Indesign is doing some sort of weird auto-reflow when I make a simple text correction.

• 1. Re: Paragraph reflow
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It sounds like you've converted the file from an earlier version of ID. Text reflow is expected due to changes in the text engine, but it doesn't happen until you touch the text in some way, then the entire story will recompose using the new engine and you may have some surprises.

• 2. Re: Paragraph reflow
            AbrahN Level 1

The original file was created using CC, so you are saying whenever I update through CC there is the potential for text reflow? And why would it only affect certain paragraphs and not others? I was able to make other corrections to other paragraphs without having the reflow issues.

• 3. Re: Paragraph reflow
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If the file was originally made in CC (version 9.x) and you are editing in the same version, thn, no there should not be reflow issues like the ones I described above. That would only happen with files created in an earlier version. If that's the case, I have no idea whyt the paragraph is reflowing.