17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2014 5:07 AM by sagar-khanna

My favorite CC 2014 feature

Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

I never thought I would say this, but my favorite new feature for CC 2014 is the seamless update of settings.

I was able to keep my keyboard shortcuts with no problems.

• 1. Re: My favorite CC 2014 feature
          Haeme Ulrich Adobe Community Professional & MVP

and now I'm looking forward to have this all in the sync service as well. I

mean to be able to sync all the prefs between the same versions.

Haeme Ulrich, mobile

• 2. Re: My favorite CC 2014 feature
            Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi Sandee,

Strongly agree for this!

About the other new features, for me, especially with regard to epub fixed layout, it is ... I've tested it on a little complex layout, not at all convinced! 

• 3. Re: My favorite CC 2014 feature
              Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sounds like you got lucky 'cause there have been plenty of people not able to get this to work.

• 4. Re: My favorite CC 2014 feature
                Obi-wan Kenobi Adobe Community Professional

Hi Larry,

We are already 3! this is a good start before a first debugging! 

• 5. Re: My favorite CC 2014 feature
                  sagar-khanna Adobe Employee

Larry, let us know in case you are not able to migrate prefs. Also, look out for the manual trigger for Seamless update in Edit Menu>Migrate local settings.

• 6. Re: My favorite CC 2014 feature
                    Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't have any version of AICC but I have read a lot of posts on both the Illustrator and InDesign forums of people having problems with getting preferences and older versions of presets to update properly.

• 7. Re: My favorite CC 2014 feature
                      batavius

I have to say it is sad that a 'seamless update' is seen as a feature

Personally I see no real advantages in CC 2014 (or even CC for that matter), but will CC (the 'old' one) open CC 2014 documents?

And how is that plugin-compatibility? One of the main reasons we will not go to CC is the price of Plugin updates, and the 'rental' system.

As my 'old' 2008 mac cannot be upgraded beyond Lion (ridiculous), we use Snow Leopard, so upgrading is out of the question.

• 8. Re: My favorite CC 2014 feature
                        BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Then don't upgrade. The subscription system is here to stay and no, CC

cannot open CC2014 without going through the IDML route, but theoretically,

that's a non-issue as every subscriber has access to both versions.

• 9. Re: My favorite CC 2014 feature

Come on, Larry. You've been around here long enough to know that with new

releases always come reports of issues with new features. Is it perfect? No,

but its awesome.

There are 2.3 million subscribers. If it didn't work at all, these forums

would be absolutely flooded with questions and complaints.

• 10. Re: My favorite CC 2014 feature
                            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Bob Levine wrote:

If it didn't work at all, these forums would be absolutely flooded with questions and complaints.

You mean they're not already???

One of the things the forums always has is questions and complaints lol - it's very rare someone comes on to praise a feature or with non-complaints ... and when they do they get lambasted by people who are against the upgrades/features/etc.

Forums are a strange place where people can hide behind an online identity and shout obscenities with the security of anonymity.

• 11. Re: My favorite CC 2014 feature

Indeed, Eugene.

I’ve been around here long enough to remember when it was very civil. Sadly, I think that ship has long since sailed.

• 12. Re: My favorite CC 2014 feature
                                batavius Level 1

I have no issues with subscription per se, there will be a time we have no choice, but for now we use what we got.

But aside from that; we would certainly reconsider if we could have a cheaper, 3 (or 4) application subscription, so only Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop for instance...

As I read CC2013 cannot open CC2014, will we see, when we try to open a file made in CC2014, 2015, 2016 and so on, what version was used?

I do like the new IDML package feature though

• 13. Re: My favorite CC 2014 feature

I doubt you’ll see that. It’s far simpler to offer one package to all users than to try to administer something less. At $50/month, how much less could it be anyway? The likely result would be a higher price for the full package and people on that moving back to the lower one.

• 14. Re: My favorite CC 2014 feature

I'm very happy with Photoshop CS6 and Illustrator Cs6 and and a few other CS6 applications.

I signed up for InDesign Creative Cloud so I could have the latest and greatest in InDesign.

There's always been backward compatibility issues - and they are outlined here as to why http://in-tools.com/article/whats-with-back-save-to-earlier-versions-of-indesign/

And every new issue of InDesign there's always a group of people displeased with there being no compatibility - and it's not because Adobe don't want it, it's because the new features are so complex that opening them in an earlier version of the program that didn't have that feature would InDesign to meltdown, melt a hole in your floor, and straight to Earth's core. And nobody wants to see that happen.

The subscription model is a fair model - you can still have CS6 or earlier installed on your computer and only use the latest InDesign if you wish to.

It's completely up to you to how you handle the upgrades. And you can choose to ignore them altogether.

But basically - the subscription model is here to stay and you can't buy a perpetual license any more.

And in fairness, Adobe are not the only company doing it. It's a system that brings in perpetual income to their company, so they can employ more staff, develop new areas for products and it helps to fund the projects they are working on. And this in turn is churned back out to the user. It's a perpetual cycle of life.

But it's up to you if  you want to be part of that cycle or just be happy using the older software and get your job done.

• 15. Re: My favorite CC 2014 feature
                                      batavius Level 1

I wish it was 50 dollars per month, that would be 36 Euros, then we would do it, for our 6 licenses.

Alas it is 61 Euros, that is 82 dollars. For the same version, for an electronic download...

I certainly understand the economic reasons for a subscription model, it creates a constant revenue. In a way Adobe is its own competitor, lots of people use the older versions, and decide not to upgrade.

My main issue is that plugins don't always follow the same cycle, we need for instance the SmartStream plugin, a 900 euro plugin... that is the update price, a very big bump in the road, so CS5.5 will have to do for now.

• 16. Re: My favorite CC 2014 feature

That's a very legitimate reason to not upgrade, and certainly I'd be on to SmartStream to see what stage they are with making it compatible.

I completely understand the issue with the € vs $ pricing - I too think it's very unfair. But it's something to do with being based in the US compared to selling the product overseas, whether it's downloaded or delivered by box - it's considered an export.

I'm not tax expert, but I think the bump in price for Europeans is some sort of export/excise/stamp duty/corporation/ et al taxes added on to doing business with the EU.

But I can't say for certain - but it does frustrate me too.

• 17. Re: My favorite CC 2014 feature
                                          sagar-khanna Adobe Employee

This feature is currently not available in Illustrator.