1 2 Previous Next 57 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2016 6:59 PM by Tim Kurkoski

AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.

Docrender

Just got an update, Premiere is awesome but AE is dead. Can't even open RED files anymore - insanely slow. 100 times slower than old version. Must be a bug. I have TITAN GPU on MAC PRO classic tower. AE2013 works just fine - what is wrong with the new one? And it actually looks like RED format support completely broken cause when I go 100% footage looks like it is upscale 1/8 resolution.

• 1. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.
          Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

This is a bug, and I can reproduce these problems on my computers. Thank you for reporting it; I have filed the bug and we will be investigating the problems. My apologies for this.

There is a simple workaround, to save the R3D settings into the RMD sidecar file.

1. Open the RED R3D Source Settings dialog for your RED files: File > Interpret Footage > Main, then click the More Options button.
          2. Click the Save to RMD button in the upper-right.
          3. Click OK to the two dialogs.

If you have changes already saved into the RMD sidecar file, this shouldn't affect them, as long as you haven't changed any of the settings in the dialog. (Another workaround I found is to change the Preset from As Shot to Custom, Default, or a custom preset. But until you save the settings into the RMD, the As Shot preset mode will continue to cause the problem.)

If you are using multiple RED files, you can apply this change to one and then use the Interpret Footage > Remember/Apply Interpretation commands to copy and paste the settings to the other files. This is not ideal if you want the different files to have different interpretation settings or R3D settings, but this could be done to all of the files before editing the settings.

Let me know if this workaround helps; on my computers it reliably solved the problems.

Under the hood, I suspect this problem is an unintended negative consequence of Premiere Pro CC 2014 adding GPU debayering for RED files. After Effects and Premiere Pro use the same common code to read RED files, although After Effects CC 2014 does not use the GPU debayering feature. We will know more after our developers have time to investigate.

• 2. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.
            Docrender Level 1

Thanks for your efforts, but it all looks SH...T anyway. Like 1/8 resolution or even less. With or without RMD.  I tried different card cause TITAN oficially not supported by Apple now - so I tried Apple ATI, NVIDIA Quadro 4000 for Mac. Same terrible broken R3D handling, all resolution from 1K to 6K. If I go obsolete workflow and generate QT wrappers it fixes "broken resolution bug" but it becomes even slower, like totally dead, takes 2 minutes per frame to ingest. Any card GPU/CPU modes. Whatever.

At the same time on SAME machine old AE works flawless with ANY card.

Not a single bug.

Even if I start them at once (which is not a great idea, ha ha) -

AE2014CC - dead and broken R3D support,

AE2013CC - flawless, both GPU or CPU. All graphics card.

• 3. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.
              Docrender Level 1

This is just crazy - after 10-15 restarts this RMD re-save method starts to work finally . Sometimes I have to re-save RMD 2 times. Important thing I realize that I have to change any of the R3D "metadata parser" settings - like any parameter from initial value and THEN re-save RMD to activate this "de-bug" feature. Thanks anyway - would be great to fix this permanently ASAP in the next update

BTW - New Premiere fn rocks. It literally plays some of the 4K files in FULL RES without frame drop (with TITAN).

• 4. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.

Docrender, I'm glad you're making progress, but I'd like to know more about your workflow. When I tested this problem, the workarounds I provided consistently solved the problem. There may be additional factors in your workflow that I haven't accounted for.

What model and firmware of RED camera are you using? What resolution are the files? (It sounded like you have multiple samples, and I don't think this is a factor, but I'd like to gather as much information as possible.)

Do you do any pre-processing of the RED files before importing them into After Effects? Such as in REDCINE-X? Is the RMD file present when you import the RED file into After Effects?

Any other details you could provide about your workflow would be appreciated so that I can do additional investigation.

• 5. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.
                  jopa79

I have the same problem on a MacBook Pro Retina (mid 2012)

AE2014CC - R3D footage looks like 1/8 resolution

AE2013CC - no problems

thanks

• 6. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.

jopa79, have you tried the workarounds I provided earlier in this thread?

• 7. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.
                      jopa79 Level 1

Hi Tim,

i tried your 3-Step workaround and it works.

Maybe the next update will fix this bug and we will get gpu debayering for after effects too )

cheers

• 8. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.

jopa79, thanks for verifying the workaround. We are investigating this bug now.

Please feel free to submit a feature request for GPU debayering of RED files in After Effects: http://adobe.ly/feature_request

• 9. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.
                          Jockw1234 Level 1

I also have this problem with blocky RED files and extremely slow behavior and the SAVE TO RMD trick works. Looking forward to the bug fix ASAP!

• 10. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.
                            Docrender Level 1

It only works if every single RMD being saved within AE. So it is not really a solution. New AE is useless for now if you involved to RED workflow. Having in mind that it was a lot of promo talks about how great new CC will be for new 4K+ cameras this situation looks really frustrating. I even suspect some conspiracy - I did some R&D about it it, looks like it might be connected to some "file access management" by OS X. That kind of BS. It looks stupid, having in mind that Apple give up on PRO apps (I can't assume Mickey Mouse Final Cut as editing application, sorry). They should keep OS compatible with professional products of other vendors.  This is just my personal guess. Can't believe that this obvious bug might be missed by Adobe QC team. Outstanding.  Maybe you need a few new people there - I know some if you interested .

• 11. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.
                              Jockw1234 Level 1

I can also verify that REMEMBER/APPLY INTERPRETATION on the rest of the RED files does not work. You have to manually edit every RED file. This is not good and makes the new update useless for me. I really hope this bug will be fixed within a couple of weeks, but I'm afraid it will not...

• 12. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.

Jockw1234 wrote:

I can also verify that REMEMBER/APPLY INTERPRETATION on the rest of the RED files does not work. You have to manually edit every RED file. This is not good and makes the new update useless for me. I really hope this bug will be fixed within a couple of weeks, but I'm afraid it will not...

Can you be more specific about how the Remember/Apply Interpretation workaround does not work? When I tested that workflow, it consistently solved the problem for multiple files for me. Exact steps and screenshots are appreciated, or a screen recording even.

As I replied to Docrender above, it's very possible that I'm missing some part of your workflow that cause the workarounds to fail. I'll need more info about what you're doing, details of your RED files, etc. (see my post #4 above). With those details in hand I will investigate further.

• 13. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.
                                  Docrender Level 1

It is like "Yes Sir we definitely have a few problems with you car but, as we discussed, if you stick your head between front and back seats while holding steering wheel  with your feet  it would definitely solve the problem for now".

• 14. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.
                                    Docrender Level 1

In a nutshell. AE useless for RED workflow for now. And something tells me that this bug will take a long time to be fixed. Really long time.

• 15. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.

I have a new workaround to suggest for anyone having this problem. Please try it and let me know if this resolves the issues with RED files.

1. After importing the RED files, save the project.
                                      2. Purge the image caches: Edit > Purge > All Memory & Disk Cache

Please let us know if this works for you. These steps consistently clear the problem on my computers.

If you're interested about what's happening under the hood, here's what I think is going on:

A) The problem only occurs when the R3D settings data is read directly from the RED (and/or RMD) file. While the data originates there, there are cases where it is copied and/or stored in other places.

B) Reading the R3D settings data in other cases does not have this problem. In the first workaround I posted, OK'ing the RED R3D Source Settings dialog after making a change (including saving to RMD) will simultaneously send a fresh copy of the R3D settings data to After Effects and force it to refresh the image. In the new workaround, the R3D settings data is saved into the project file and will be read from there the next time the image is loaded; however, simply saving the project does not refresh the image, so:

C) Clearing the caches is necessary in some cases to clear out the old image, because After Effects doesn't know it needs to refresh the image since the the R3D settings data has not materially changed.

Makes sense?

• 16. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.
                                        Docrender Level 1

I did try it. Sometimes it helps after I double click on the file - it opens up in a additional viewer window and then if I do this "purge" 5-6 times it starts to look normal, instead of "blocky". But some files stays "broken" regardless of number of "purges" I do. And again - it works file by file, not all at once in my case.

• 17. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.

Docrender, any chance you could post a screen capture of your comp, showing the problems and what happens when you try the workarounds? Again, there must be something about your workflow that I'm missing, because the workarounds are very consistent on my machine. I need to see what the difference is between what I'm doing and what you're doing.

• 18. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.

Intentionally cross-linking threads: I've posted the workaround on the After Effects team blog, and created a separate thread for comments about the blog article.

workaround for slow performance and poor resolution with RED R3D files in After Effects CC 2014 (13.0)

Please post in whichever thread makes more sense for you. I am monitoring both.

• 19. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.
                                              Jockw1234 Level 1

My workflow with REMEBER/APPLY is the only one possible I think. Make all the changes you suggested on one RED clip. Choose REMEMBER from that clip, select all the other RED clips and choose APPLY. Does not change anything. The RED files are still extremely slow and blocky.

Tried the other solution with purging all disc cache as well, did not solve the problem for me.

I also did the following, in the MORE OPTIONS... dialogue I saved to RMD. Checked in Finder that the file did get todays date, so it was changed, so long so good. The RED file looks good and behaves as it should. But after saving the project and opening it up again the same problem occurs. It should be something in the project file that tells it to read the RMD file, right? But it works just like I've imported it from the first time.

This is how bad the RED file looks. I think this forum cropped the picture though... It was a screenshot from whole desktop.

Screenshot 2014-06-25 08.39.15(2).png

• 20. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.
                                                Jockw1234 Level 1

An update.

As I wrote before. Changing the RED files RMD file solves the problem for THAT clip. The REMEMBER/APPLY trick does not alter the RMD files on those other clips on my computer. So those files is still blocky and slow.

Manually clicking the SAVE TO RMD button changes the RMD file. But the REMEMBER/APPLY does not goes that "deep" and overwrites those RMD files on all the other clips.

Maybe this could be a clue?

On another note. This bug should really not have slipped through the beta testing as RED files is a very common workflow. Been waiting for the Mercury Transmit feature a long time, but I guess I have to wait again. You really have to solve this quick as per now we are paying for old software because I cannot use the new version because of this bug.

• 21. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.
                                                  Jockw1234 Level 1

Whats the status of this bug? Is it getting fixed soon? I and I think many others want a quick fix on this. We are all stuck with AE12.2 now and I'm sure this wasn't the idea behind the Creative Cloud thinking. Paying a monthly fee for older software...

• 22. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.
                                                    PRBates

Tim,

For the past week, I've tried to avoid bringing this up while trying to make your workaround(saving RMD files) work.  However, it is so inconsistent and "breaks" so easily (like when closing and opening a file) that my work has ground to a halt.  My work in AE is how every product file is processed and I do not have an older version to fall back on. So, I am dead in the water until this gets fixed.  I just spent time on the phone with one of your tech support staff, and they had no answers either.

Please help soon!

Phil

www.artbeats.com

• 23. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.
                                                      PRBates Level 1

Just FYI, I have tried the Remember/Apply Interpretation fix and it does not work for me.  Also, the Purge does work, but takes almost 2 minutes to cycle.  I can't do a two minute purge every 5 minutes after waiting another 10 seconds for the screen to re-draw.  Another problem I have is that I often use two versions of the same R3D file, each with different interpretation settings, but with the limitation of having only one RMD file, this also seems to break the fix. 

Phil

• 24. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.

Phil, have you tried the other workaround of purging the caches after the project has been saved?

Can you be more specific about when the problem recurs for any particular file to which you had previously applied a workaround? Are you able to repeat this behavior? If so, I'd like to know what exact steps you take.

We're still investigating this issue, I'll share more information when it's available.

• 25. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.
                                                          PRBates Level 1

Hi Tim, thanks for getting back so quickly.  The Purge does work, but takes almost 2 minutes to cycle so it is not practical to do very often.  As for when the problem recurs it happens consistently when I save and close a file then re-open it.  But it has also happened while working on a file without closing.  This makes me wonder if the "auto save" could be causing it to recur.  I will spend more time working on this and document it better.  Also, I have tried the Remember/Apply Interpretation fix and it has never transferred the fix.  In addition, the "save RMD" workaround does not work consistently.  Typically, I will make a trivial change to the file, press "save to RMD", then exit out of the dialog boxes only to find that I am waiting another 12 seconds for the thumbnail in the project window to re-draw because the fix did not "take".  So I repeat the process of making a change and saving to RMD, and it might or might not have fixed it the second time.

There is another confusing twist.  I just took an AE project that I had purged and imported another R3D file.  This time the file came in without the typical re-draw delay (only about 1 second delay instead of 12 seconds).  However, when I import the file into a new composition, the resolution is degraded(similar to viewing at a quarter of the resolution) but not as much as when there is the 12 second delay(similar to viewing at an 1/8th or 1/16th resolution).  In other words, there is an "in-between" state of loss of resolution, very confusing.  In this case, I took a snapshot, then changed settings in the interpret footage dialog, then exited the dialog, forgetting to click the "save to RMD" button.  Low and behold the resolution problem was fixed.  This time without saving the RMD. 

The confusion surrounding the fix/lack-of-fix is causing me to second guess whether I can trust any of the projects I have created.  This is exacerbated because when I re-open them the problem has come back.  Our workflow from this point is typically to send the projects to a PC station and import the multiple files into a new project for batch rendering.  I haven't gotten to this stage, nor have I run any batch tests to see if the problem is still there...

Another problem I have is that I often use two versions of the same R3D file, each with different interpretation settings in order to get the most dynamic range out of the image, but with the limitation of having only one RMD file, this also seems to break the fix. However, it breaks unexpectedly, so I haven't yet been able to detect a pattern.  By the way, I have never had a problem with using multiple versions of the same R3D file before this.

Lastly, you should know that these particular files were shot using the RED Motion Mount.  This is the main reason that I upgraded to the CC recently, because AE6.0 was not compatible with Motion Mount files. So, I am wondering if the Motion Mount is causing the files to break in a different way than non MM.  It also means that I cannot fall back to AE6.0 as a workaround.

Thanks for listening,

Phil

• 26. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.
                                                            Eugene FP

In older verions "View Resolution" of composition (Full, Half, Quarter) response to R3D debayer (Full, 1/2, 1/4). But in AE CC2014 this dependence doesn't work. When you import RED file into AE you have debayer 1/8 (no matter what you set in View Resolution).

Workaround "Save RMD" works but it's not good idea if you have many files in project because trick "REMEMBER/APPLY INTERPRETATION" with the rest of the RED files does not work. You need to do this manipulations with all R3D files. It is very unconvenient.

I found a consistent pattern of this problem. If you save project with View Resolution "Full" on ACTIVE composition (no matter what you set in other comps) and then reopen project, After Effects will reread all debayers in all R3D files. In this case you will read FULL debayer on all RED files. If you save project with View Resolution "Quarter" on ACTIVE composition and reopen project you will read 1/4 debayer...etc. After reopening project you also need "Purge All Memory".

Tim Kurkoski was wrong when wrote this workaround:

1. After importing the RED files, save the project.

2. Purge the image caches: Edit > Purge > All Memory & Disk Cache.

In this algorithm he doesn't propose to reopen project. And that's why many peoples reported that "Purge" workaround does not work.

Therefore, for this workaround you need always reopen a project! In this case it works. But you will have same debayer on all footages.

I eagerly expectly this problem to be fixed.

• 27. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.
                                                              PRBates Level 1

Hi Eugene,

I am not sure I understand your post.   As a test, I did close a file with the active composition set on Full (based on auto at 100%).  When I reopened the file, that same frame showed the correct resolution.  But the moment I selected another frame the problem was back.  This is not a solution.

I then did a "purge all" but it did not fix the problem either.

Still desperately need a reliable fix.

Phil

• 28. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.
                                                                PRBates Level 1

Tim, I've been working all day with R3Ds looking for a pattern for the recurrence of the resolution/slow display Problem.

My work flow is that I open a project from a template, import 10 or so R3D files, and do a Save As in the name of the first R3D file.  For Example: A191-C001.aep.  I work in this project doing color correction, fixes etc.  When I am done, I do another Save As, this time for the next file:  A191-C002, and so on.  Now and then when I see a mistake, which might have been at C012, then I have to go back to the previous projects to find where I first made the mistake and fix all those that came after.

Here are some notes on what I discovered:

1. When opening these previous projects, the fix breaks and the Problem recurs.

2. Sometimes I can work on a project for 30 minutes or more.  Inevitably, the fix will break during that time.  It can happen when zooming in or out (changing composition resolutions), or doing an undo or applying an effect like Neat Video Noise Reducer.  Unfortunately, I could not find one action that broke the fix every time.  So, my guess is that at some point, the "undos" run out, or the memory gets full and at that point the break occurs.

3. When fixing the Problem using the RMD method, I had to make some kind of adjustment for the fix to take place.  In other words, I couldn't just open the settings window and click "save to RMD".  That wouldn't work.  However, making the slightest change would make "saving to RMD" fix the Problem.  EDIT:  Of course, it will still break inevitably.

I hope that helps.  Please let me know anything you can about the progress of this fix.

Thanks,

Phil

• 29. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.
                                                                  bartstevens Level 1

Same problem here. Unfortunately I just "upgraded" to CC 2014 a few days ago and created my edit in Premiere 2014. Can't use AE 2013 with a Premiere 2014 project.

Adobe should have (and still should) announce this problem to the community. I'm lucky I don't have an urgent project right now, but if I did, this bug would crush it.

Unfortunately another example of the cloud working against the Adobe customers.

• 30. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.

A quick status update on our investigation of this bug:

We have isolated the code that causes the problem. It's too early for me to talk about when we might be able to deliver a fix.

My focus in the meantime is on understanding the behavior and trying to find workarounds.

Phil, thanks for the excellent detail. I'll be looking at this soon.

Eugene, interesting suggestion with the viewer resolution. That's not a factor I was adjusting during my tests, and was in fact explicitly not changing it in order to isolate some of the other factors involved. I will investigate this.

bartstevens wrote:

Same problem here. Unfortunately I just "upgraded" to CC 2014 a few days ago and created my edit in Premiere 2014. Can't use AE 2013 with a Premiere 2014 project.

Adobe should have (and still should) announce this problem to the community. I'm lucky I don't have an urgent project right now, but if I did, this bug would crush it.

Unfortunately another example of the cloud working against the Adobe customers.

Bart, we acknowledged this bug on the After Effects team blog:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2014/06/red-r3d-problems-after-effects-cc-2014-13-0.ht ml

I realize the workaround suggested there is not working for everyone, which is why the article asks for feedback on its success. Phil and Eugene have provided good info.

You can install After Effects CC (12.2.1) at the same time as After Effects CC 2014 (13.0). Dynamic Link will not work between After Effects CC (12.2.1) and Premiere Pro CC 2014 (8.0), but that's not new behavior; Dynamic Link has always required that the host and client applications have matching versions of the Dynamic Link protocols. (ex., Dynamic Link doesn't work between After Effects CS5.5 (10.5) and Premiere Pro CS6 (6.x).

• 31. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.
                                                                      bartstevens Level 1

As expected, bug also effects Adobe Media Encoder 2014.

I was able to save the AE project as 2012 AE and reopen in AE 2012. After saving the RMD info, I get consistent performance in AE 2012.

"Fixes" working with AE 2014 eventually failed.

• 32. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.
                                                                        PRBates Level 1

Tim, thanks for the update.  I really appreciate the communication.     If you wouldn't mind, please address the following questions:

1. So, how would I install AE 12.2.1?

2. Is it possible to save AE 13.0 files in a way so that they open in 12.2.1?  Answered

3. If not, would that be an easier fix, to adjust that code so we can get our work rendered out?  Answered

Thanks,

Phil

• 33. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.
                                                                          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The answer to 1 is to open the Creative Cloud app and install the update that shows up when you are logged in with your Adobe ID.

• 34. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.

1. So, how would I install AE 12.2.1?

See the Download Previous Versions section in this document:

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/install-apps.html

2. Is it possible to save AE 13.0 files in a way so that they open in 12.2.1?

File > Save As > Save A Copy As CC (12)

• 35. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.

bartstevens wrote:

As expected, bug also effects Adobe Media Encoder 2014.

I was able to save the AE project as 2012 AE and reopen in AE 2012. After saving the RMD info, I get consistent performance in AE 2012.

"Fixes" working with AE 2014 eventually failed.

Bart, please clarify:

Are you adding the R3D file directly to the AME queue?

Or are you adding the R3D file to an After Effects comp, and then adding that comp to the AME queue?

I would not expect this bug to occur with the former, because the bug in After Effects code. I would expect it to occur with the latter because After Effects is still involved in that path.

If you are experiencing the former, you may have found a different bug. Please do me a favor and start a new post on the AME forum with details.

• 36. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.
                                                                                PRBates Level 1

Tim,

Do you know if this bug exists on the PC version?   We typically create the projects on a Mac then render batches on a PC render farm.  We are just wondering what version to install on the PCs.

So, if the bug exists on the PC side and we install AE12, Would you suggest the following work flow?

1. Open all existing projects on our Macs and save as AE12.

2. Create an empty "batch" project on the PCs in AE12, then drag all the "Mac" projects into that project window, then render?  Should work, right?

Thanks,

Phil

• 38. Re: AE 2014CC RED R3D files support broken - footages looks bad, everything slow.

Do you know if this bug exists on the PC version?   We typically create the projects on a Mac then render batches on a PC render farm.  We are just wondering what version to install on the PCs.

Yes, this bug exists on Windows.

So, if the bug exists on the PC side and we install AE12, Would you suggest the following work flow?

That should work. I'm not sure what the "batch" project accomplishes for you, but that's a workflow choice and not related to the bug.

1 2 Previous Next