8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2014 1:04 PM by Tim Kurkoski

After Effects CC (2014) MacPro Performance??

Scott McKenzie Level 1

I just installed the new After Effects CC (2014) on my 2013 MP with 2 D700s.  I am not noticing any significant difference from the previous version of AE.  GPUs are still showing as 2GB of VRAM (see below).  I dropped in a 5K (5120x2700) R3D clip into a 1080p comp, scaled to width and tried to move the playhead, let alone play and it is extremely sluggish (media is on a G-Raid).  Even at "low" debayer and 1/4 res I seem to max out at 20fps without ram previewing.  Mercury Transmit is off, both "Viewer Quality" options are set to "Faster".  Even with a 1080p ProResHQ file I can't get realtime playback without ram previewing.

What I can do to fix this?

"GPU Information"

Fast Draft:Available
      Texture Memory:818.00 MB
      Ray-tracing:CPU

(GPU not available - incompatible device or CUDA driver)

OpenGL

Vendor:ATI Technologies Inc.
      Device:AMD Radeon HD - FirePro D700 OpenGL Engine
      Version:2.1 ATI-1.20.11
      Total Memory:2.00 GB
      Shader Model:-

CUDA

Driver Version:1.0 (5.0 or later required)
      Devices:-
      Current Usable Memory:-
      Maximum Usable Memory:-

System Details:

MacPro 5,1

3.5GHz 6-core

32GB Ram

AMD D700 GPUs

OS X 10.9.2

Single, 1920x1080 display connected.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: After Effects CC (2014) MacPro Performance??
          awatts58

I am having the exact problem on my brand new Mac Pro.  Its choking on my 6k Red Epic Dragon footage as well.  Lots of beach balls..

2.7 Ghz 12-Core IntelXeon E5

64 GB 1867 DD3

What are the optimum setting for RAM allocation? Just use the defaults?

• 2. Re: After Effects CC (2014) MacPro Performance??
            Tim Kurkoski Adobe Employee

If you are experiencing slow performance with RED files specifically, please read this thread, which includes a workaround to make RED files work faster:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/6485994

• 3. Re: After Effects CC (2014) MacPro Performance??
              Scott McKenzie Level 1

Hi Tim,

I will try some of the workarounds  with RED files.  I am still having slow performance with ProRes files and credit rolls (illustrator file linked to a null to make it scroll).  I don't understand why I'm not getting realtime playback without RAM previewing.  Were there no significant performance improvements made to AE CC(2014)?  Especially in relation to the new MacPro hardware?

• 4. Re: After Effects CC (2014) MacPro Performance??

Scott,

After Effects does not provide real-time playback until frames are cached into memory. That is to say the need to RAM Preview first is the expected behavior in After Effects. If you're new to using After Effects, you may want to start here: http://adobe.ly/AE_basics

After Effects CC 2014 was not a performance-specific release. Our focus for improvements in this release was on workflow, especially between Premiere Pro and After Effects. We are currently working on performance-related improvements for a future release. No further details about that right now, sorry.

What type of optimizations would you like us to do for Mac Pro hardware? After Effects is relatively agnostic about the hardware it runs on, and any performance improvements we make to the application will likely apply to all hardware, on both Windows and Mac OS, and benefit all users. One note: if you are specifically asking about support of AMD GPU's or OpenCL for the ray-traced 3D renderer, please remember that adding that only helps one small feature of the application (that would impact relatively few people and is not specific to Mac Pro hardware in any case).

Any specific feature request that you have can be logged for us here: http://adobe.ly/feature_request

• 5. Re: After Effects CC (2014) MacPro Performance??
                  Scott McKenzie Level 1

Tim,

Is this to say that to simply play a quicktime video file (no effects or adjustments made) in After Effects the expected behaviour is that it must be RAM previewed?  As per the After Effects blog post a few months ago about future improvements all that I (and I am confident that the majority of users will agree) would like to see is for After Effects to be significantly faster (think the improvement to the "search" feature in Premiere).

Most of the After Effects work I do is very simple.  Tasks such as creating basic, but elegant credit rolls; simple masking; sky replacements; simple animated titles; etc.  Realtime playback is essential for proofing these elements, and having to RAM preview has significant impacts to the creative process.  During the CC2014 release presentation on video there were multiple references to "not waiting for renders", except this is exactly what you have to do when working in After Effects.

Could you please also address the issue of After Effects still recognizing the MacPro GPUs as having 2GB of memory instead of 12GB?

Thanks.

• 6. Re: After Effects CC (2014) MacPro Performance??

Is this to say that to simply play a quicktime video file (no effects or adjustments made) in After Effects the expected behaviour is that it must be RAM previewed?

This is how After Effects currently works. It hasn't changed in many years. You can initiate playback without RAM Preview (press spacebar), but the playback speed will depend on how fast the frames can be cached to memory for playback, and will very likely not be real-time except for the simplest of comps.

As per the After Effects blog post a few months ago about future improvements all that I (and I am confident that the majority of users will agree) would like to see is for After Effects to be significantly faster (think the improvement to the "search" feature in Premiere).

We also want to make After Effects faster. As I mentioned, we are currently focused on performance-related improvements to After Effects. The blog post you referenced was written while we were in the middle of developing the After Effects CC 2014 (13.0) release, and beginning to think about our next release. A side note here: performance in After Effects includes both rendering performance and interactive performance; that is, how fast After Effects allows you to work.

During the CC2014 release presentation on video there were multiple references to "not waiting for renders", except this is exactly what you have to do when working in After Effects.

Can you be more specific about what context you saw this in? Can you provide a link? "Not waiting for renders" is a fairly generic statement, so context is important. It may have been used in connection with the new text templates feature in After Effects CC 2014, which allows faster workflows between Premiere Pro and After Effects, or with Dynamic Link in general. Otherwise, I need to know how that phrase was used in order to understand your perception of it.

Could you please also address the issue of After Effects still recognizing the MacPro GPUs as having 2GB of memory instead of 12GB?

We have a bug open on this and are investigating.

• 7. Re: After Effects CC (2014) MacPro Performance??
                      Scott McKenzie Level 1

Tim,

Thank you for the replies.

Is this to say that to simply play a quicktime video file (no effects or adjustments made) in After Effects the expected behaviour is that it must be RAM previewed?

This is how After Effects currently works. It hasn't changed in many years. You can initiate playback without RAM Preview (press spacebar), but the playback speed will depend on how fast the frames can be cached to memory for playback, and will very likely not be real-time except for the simplest of comps.

This is exactly the change that I am looking for.  In my opinion, "the simplest of comps" would be things like "a comp with a QT file and no effects/adjustments", "an Illustrator file moving in the example of a credit roll".  Hopefully this will all be improved upon in future releases.  I am looking forward to seeing them.

As per the After Effects blog post a few months ago about future improvements all that I (and I am confident that the majority of users will agree) would like to see is for After Effects to be significantly faster (think the improvement to the "search" feature in Premiere).

We also want to make After Effects faster. As I mentioned, we are currently focused on performance-related improvements to After Effects. The blog post you referenced was written while we were in the middle of developing the After Effects CC 2014 (13.0) release, and beginning to think about our next release. A side note here: performance in After Effects includes both rendering performance and interactive performance; that is, how fast After Effects allows you to work.

I will anxiously await these updates.  As a note: I feel that interactive performance is a higher priority than rendering performance.

During the CC2014 release presentation on video there were multiple references to "not waiting for renders", except this is exactly what you have to do when working in After Effects.

Can you be more specific about what context you saw this in? Can you provide a link? "Not waiting for renders" is a fairly generic statement, so context is important. It may have been used in connection with the new text templates feature in After Effects CC 2014, which allows faster workflows between Premiere Pro and After Effects, or with Dynamic Link in general. Otherwise, I need to know how that phrase was used in order to understand your perception of it.

Yes, the context was always in relation to either dynamic linking with PPro, or Direct linking betweens PPro and SpeedGrade.  However, the overall impression I got was that Adobe's goal with the video applications was to improve the interactive performance so that users can focus more on being creative and less on waiting for the software.

We have a bug open on this and are investigating.

Thank you.  I was really hoping that the 2014 release would fix this, but understand that it is likely quite complicated and there are many other improvements/bug fixes that the team is working on.  Are there any updates on when this expected?  Is this effecting performance or just simply the readout in After Effects' GPU information.

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to address all of these concerns and am looking forward to the continued updates to the entire CC video suite.

• 8. Re: After Effects CC (2014) MacPro Performance??

Are there any updates on when this expected?  Is this effecting performance or just simply the readout in After Effects' GPU information.

No timeline to share right now.

After Effects uses the GPU relatively little, so performance is unlikely to be affected even if when only recognizes the 2GB of GPU memory.