4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2014 2:27 AM by Peter Spier

Pasting Attributes

Paul Whitehead Level 1

I have a bunch of images on a page.  If i copy one image frame size, how do i paste that attribute size of the copied to the one i want?

• 1. Re: Pasting Attributes
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you talking about the scale of the image, the size of the frame, or the frame fitting options? It's not at all clear to me what you want to do, but you cannot copy/paste individual attributes.

• 2. Re: Pasting Attributes
            Paul Whitehead Level 1

Well i'm very new to indesign and i know that you can either have the size of your box and make your image fit the scale of that and thats mostly what i do.  So if i have 1 box a size and i want another box that same size, how do i make say 5 other boxes the same as that 1 and ill worry about the images and content inside of them later..  Thanks so much man!

• 3. Re: Pasting Attributes
              carijansen3 Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Hi Paul,

I hope I'm understanding correctly what you're after: You've placed, resized and masked a single image, and want to use the same sizing, masking settings for another image that you'll place?

As Peter mentions Object > Fitting > Frame Fitting Options is where you can set the fitting behaviour for graphic frames.  You can create a series of empty graphic frames and apply the same fitting behaviour to each of them using Frame Fitting Options. Alternatively you can apply an Object Style (Window > Styles > Object Styles), in which you have set the Frame Fitting Options as well. When you place the additional images these settings are applied.

If you have placed, resized, masked and positioned one image in your design, and want to use those same settings for other images you place, you can create a copy of that frame, and clear the graphic from it (With the Selection tool, click on the Content Grabber [the donut looking icon in the centre of the frame], then press Delete/Backspace on your keyboard).

With the frame still selected choose Object > Fitting > Frame Fitting Options to see the settings that you've applied initially. When you copy this empty frame the settings are retained, so you can capture them for future placements. This assumes that the remainder of the images have the same size as the original ones.  Other wise you might see some unexpected sizing behaviour.

Cari

• 4. Re: Pasting Attributes
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Copy/Paste will give you the same frame dimensions (and fitting options, if you've set any). Edit > Step and Repeat... might be more what you want though, if you want to make a grid or use equal spacing on the same page.