3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2014 11:53 PM by manfredhaider

Layer/Layer Styles/Outer Glow - not only outside, but also inside the object

manfredhaider Level 1

I am applying "Layer/Layer Styles/Outer Glow" to a Text Object. It is clearly, that the Outer Glow also affects the color of the text (inside) and not only outside. I checked with the color code of the text before and after applying the layer. On a rectangle object, the glow effect is only outside...any idea? Does the "Outer Glow" not work on Text elements?

thank you for help!

Manfred

• 1. Re: Layer/Layer Styles/Outer Glow - not only outside, but also inside the object
          manfredhaider Level 1

additional information:

I added to the Text Element:

- Animator1 (Blur (+Range Selector Random))

- Animator2 (Opacity)

- Animator3 (Scale, Tracking)

When I deactivate Animator1 & Animator2, the OuterGlow works perfectly...It seems, "Blur" and "Opacity" do have an effect on "Outer Glow"...anyone some experience or suggestions?

• 2. Re: Layer/Layer Styles/Outer Glow - not only outside, but also inside the object
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have hit a rendering order problem. Take a close look at the order of the effects:

Screen Shot 2014-06-21 at 7.55.59 AM.png

First the opacity of the text is changed, then a blur is added. Both of these change the pixel values of the text. Next the Layer style is applied. Outer Glow works by adding or blending pixels based on the alpha channel. The alpha value of the entire text is now allowing partial transparency so the glow will be partially applied to the partially transparent areas changing the color and fully applied to the fully transparent area.

The solution will may involve duplicate text layers one acting as a track matte for the other with the glow effect applied only to one of the layers. It may involve generating the glow manually by removing the layer style and blurring a duplicate of your text layer and placing it behind the original text layer and a copy of the text layer without partial transparency used as a track matte. I can't tell for sure because I don't know what your animation looks like, but I can tell you that you will need more than one copy of your text layer to pull this off.

• 3. Re: Layer/Layer Styles/Outer Glow - not only outside, but also inside the object
              manfredhaider Level 1

Thank you Rick.

I was considering duplicating the layer and using it as track matte...but I will change the animation...the "Blur" already gives me some kind of "glow"...

thank you!

Manfred