8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2014 9:27 PM by Sameeu

Animate 2014 sprite sheet import different than docs

ChipNow Level 1

Edge Animate Help | Import sprite sheets

Importing from just an image creates a single symbol. Importing with the help of an .eas file creates individual symbols. The docs say both processes create separate symbols - which isn't really helpful. Under what circumstances would I want separate symbols created for a sprite?

It would be a cool feature to import individual symbols defined in an .eas file if it wasn't sprite data.

• 1. Re: Animate 2014 sprite sheet import different than docs
          SujaiS Adobe Employee

Hi Chip,

There are 2 types of SpriteSheet can you can import into Animate CC 2014:

1) Created from Flash Professional

• In this case you have a Image File and a corresponding metadata file(.eas) which has information on how the sprites are arranged.
          • From Flash, you can select multiple symbols(having animations) and export as a single spritesheet. These Flash Pro individual symbols has different sprite sequence names in the .EAS and are therefore imported as individual symbols when they get imported into Animate. You can refer to the SpriteSheet lesson in Animate CC 2014 which has .eas file having these multiple symbols imported.
          • If you export only one symbol as a SpriteSheet from Flash Pro, then you will get only one symbol animation in Animate too.
          • While Importing the Import SpriteSheet dialog in Animate will show you the number of sequences that are present in the imported .eas file.
          • Some cases where you may want this single spritesheet for multiple symbols:
            • If you encapsulate multiple animations in a single sprite-sheet the number of round trips when you composition is viewed in the browser does get reduced therefore improving the overall performance for your content
            • But one aspect to note is to not have a very huge spritesheet image size(2k * 2k) which will make it non-performant on mobile devices
          • Currently there is no option to select the sequence within a .eas file at import time. That is a good suggestion and will be a good enhancement for this feature.

2) Image only SpriteSheet which has same sized images tiled in order

• In this case, there is no metadata associated with it and therefore when imported after specifying the row/column/padding options; you always get only a single symbol created in Animate as part of the import process.

Hope this helps

-Sujai

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Animate 2014 sprite sheet import different than docs
            ChipNow Level 1

Very helpful. Thank you.

The issue, I've come to find out, is not on the Animate side at all. Is was the way the sprite sheet was created in Flash. I had imported images (sprite frames generated from a 3D renderer) into Flash and created a sprite sheet from those images. I guess Flash treats those imported images as individual symbols instead of frames. I hadn't created symbols at all.

• 3. Re: Animate 2014 sprite sheet import different than docs
              SujaiS Adobe Employee

Well in this case if you specifically need this to be a spritesheet, I would suggest that you import the images into Flash and create a symbol within with you create a frame by frame animation using the imported images and then export the symbol to a Edge Animate spritesheet.

-Sujai

• 4. Re: Animate 2014 sprite sheet import different than docs
                ChipNow Level 1

Exactly what I did. It works like a dream. Thank you for all your work.

• 5. Re: Animate 2014 sprite sheet import different than docs
                  ChipNow Level 1

Is there any way for the imported symbols to retain the names of the Flash symbols?

• 6. Re: Animate 2014 sprite sheet import different than docs
                    SujaiS Adobe Employee

Flash supports symbol naming which can include non-English and special characters. HTML5 is much more limited and therefore we have these restrictions in naming library items and elements within animate.

Due to this reason we are not able to retain the same name as in the source.

-Sujai

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Animate 2014 sprite sheet import different than docs
                      ChipNow Level 1

Ah. I see. Thank you for your reply. Helpful.

• 8. Re: Animate 2014 sprite sheet import different than docs
                        Sameeu Level 1

i have been trying this, i think I'm doing something wrong in flash, the sprite sheet has two images and its not animated, but the sequence is correct.

i first imported the png sequence that i exported using adobe media encoder to a png sequence to flash then i played the timeline and copied all the frames and pasted inside a new symbol that i created and then I'm trying to export the sprite sheet for edge animate, during preview also the animation is not coming correct... and when i import it to edge animate obviously it doesn't work.. what am i doing wrong? please tell me how to properly make a symbol in flash pro cc from the after effects cc exported png sequence and then how to make the sprite sheet for edge animate..