3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2014 10:03 AM by A.T. Romano

i get silent audio after i separate the video and audio

27sirena del mar

I'm using vintage video that I downloaded from the Internet.  in one project I separated the audio and video, ditched the audio, and exported, via share, the visual clips I need for my final video.  in a new project, I imported the segments to place over the audio I created with music software.  the segments have a silent audio, that is, it has a part that goes on the audio track, but it's silent.  it covers my audio and I can't hear it.  I don't know why this happens or how to avoid it.  help!

Thanks,

Rosateresa

• 1. Re: i get silent audio after i separate the video and audio
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Rosateresa

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running? Are you working with sources that come with copyright? For now I will assume no copyright protection involved.

I understand what you are doing through the point that you get rid of the original audio of a video file that has audio linked to it.

And, further I understand that you bring just that export video portion into a new project which has your "audio ...created with music software".

But after that I need clarification.

1. I would expect that, in the new project, you import the video to Video 1 to relate to the music that is already on Audio 1 or the Soundtrack.

I lose you when you write

the segments have a silent audio, that is, it has a part that goes on the audio track, but it's silent. it covers my audio and I can't hear it.

2. I am wondering if you are really saying that when you export the video portion of your file, the export has a video and audio component (silent audio component)? If that is the case, in the export settings under the Advanced Button of the export preset selected, place a check mark only next to Export Video. Remove the check mark next to Export Audio.

See example below from Premiere Elements 12 Windows. On the left...Export Settings and the Export Video and Export Audio boxes for check mark as needed. In the example I have a check mark only next to "Export Video".

Video Only.JPG

3. But you can do everything in the same project, I would think. Right click the video with its linked audio, select Delete Audio. And then import your music into

that same project.

ATR

• 2. Re: i get silent audio after i separate the video and audio
            27sirena del mar Level 1

I'm sorry about not identifying my assets more clearly.  I thought this was a forum only for Elements 10, which is what I have.  I work on a Dell laptop Latitude E6410

I think that your second suggestion will do the trick.  I can't test it now, because I have to go out, but i'll test it tonight.

the vintage footage that I use is from archive.org, specifically the prelinger archives, and they're copy free.  they can be use as the finder sees fit.

I'm aware that I could use the same project to cut and work, but I find that a bit confusing.  I have one project entitled the cutting board, where I import the footage and chop it at will. I export everything into a folder inside my videos.   then I open the actual project and import.  I know that I'm adding steps to my work, but you know, everyone has their way. 

thank you for your prompt reply.  I like your explanations, they're very to the point.  although I would prefer not to need assistance, I'm sure i'll write to you again. 

thanks again,

Rosateresa

• 3. Re: i get silent audio after i separate the video and audio
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Rosateresa

Thanks for the follow up.

If you have developed a workflow that is working for you, then that is the way to go.

We were glad to be of assistance in this matter and look forward to any further questions that you

have about Premiere Elements and your projects.

Best wishes

ATR