4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2014 7:23 AM by Kerrigan Marois

How to import select data from excel into InDesign.

Kerrigan Marois Level 1

I have been working on a bi-annual catalog that I have inherited from multiple other designers. yeesh, I have been slowly cleaning up the project over the last 2 years (its bi-annual) and I'm ready to try and tackle the biggest problem, data import from excel.

Its a book catalog with about 15,000 rows of info in the excel file, so far I've been copy and pasting sections of books i.e. Clifford the big red dog has 8 books, and I paste that info into the catalog. Its time consuming, one of the older designers set up a nested style to use tab spaces that will style the columns fairly close to how they should appear. However, they don't always work, I generally have to do a great amount of find/replace actions to make sure everything is consistent and a handful of simple grep expressions. I'm not really even sure its possible to solve any further than this, if I should use tables instead of nested styling or if I need more complicated GREP.

It sort of looks like this:

4 book setTG001234
      ind/list: $4.95your price: $3.95
      TG123456NEW!Book Title Here4.3/5.0 (reading level)
      TG123456Book Title Here4.3/5.0
      TG123456NEW!Book Title Here-
      TG123456NEW!Book Title Here

4.3/5.0

As you can see, a title isn't always new, (where the tab space nested styles cause problems) and sometimes theres an em dash instead of the reading level when it isn't available yet.

Long story short, I need to import select sections of data from excel into InDesign and then apply styles to different parts of the text. This probably sounds extremely confusing, but I have a link to the project on behance here: https://www.behance.net/gallery/Oliver-Andys-Bi-Annual-Catalog/9498891 Where you can see how the structure of the catalog is set up. Title, description, images, pricing data for the SET only and then each individual titles data.

A little extra info, I also format the excel file quite a bit to try and best replicate what I need for a smoother import. Your help is greatly appreciated as automating this in a more consistent way will save me at least 20% of the hours I spend on this. Any more info you need let me know and I'll do my best to post it!

Much gratitude,

- K

• 1. Re: How to import select data from excel into InDesign.
          Dinesh Kukreja Adobe Employee

Hi Kerrigan

If i have understood your problem right then you want a way where in you can import the selected section of excel file into indesign. To do this please try out following steps.

1.) Open your workbook in Excel and select the range which you want to import.

2.) Create a Named Range for this selection by giving it any custom name say "Test"

3) Open a new document in InDesign and select File->Place

4.) In place dialog select "Show import option" Checkbox and select your Excel file.

5.) You will see Excel import option dialog.

6.) Select "Test" from Cell Range dropdown

7.) Click in the document.

Result : You should be able to import the selected portion(as specified in your Name Range) from your excel document.

• 2. Re: How to import select data from excel into InDesign.
            Kerrigan Marois Level 1

Thank you for the reply Dinesh.

I attempted successfully to perform this, but there are a few problems.

1. Selecting and renaming each section would take me just as long as copy/pasting each section as well.

2. When selecting file>place, I can't have the excel workbook open, which I still need to reference information.

Your operation works, but it doesn't save me any time. Do I need to go from table to table when pasting?

• 3. Re: How to import select data from excel into InDesign.
              Dinesh Kukreja Adobe Employee

1. Selecting and renaming each section would take me just as long as copy/pasting each section as well.

Dinesh - Please note down the "cell range"  which you want to import from excel document. In Excel import dialog mention this cell range and ID will import the specified cell range only.

2. When selecting file>place, I can't have the excel workbook open, which I still need to reference information.

Dinesh - While placing you won't be able to open the Excel file simultaneously because ID is reading information from this file. But once you have placed the file in InDesign then you should be able to open it.

• 4. Re: How to import select data from excel into InDesign.
                Kerrigan Marois Level 1

Bump.

I would really like to see if maybe there is a plugin even that would help this workflow become more accurate.

Thanks!